Noisy 128GB m4

Associate
I have a thinkpad t61p with a 128GB Crucial m4 in it and it makes a fairly old laptop absolutely fly along. The drive, however, makes a combination of a very high pitched whining and a slight clicking noise. I gather that in spite of SSDs having no moving parts this isn't uncommon and isn't a reason for concern. Unfortunately it's really annoying in a silent room with an otherwise almost silent laptop.

How hot do SSDs get? Could I wrap in in some kitchen roll or a similar material to deaden the sound without risking damage to the drive?

Associate
OP
It might be a combination of both but the whining noise only happens during read/write and is definitely only coming from the SSD. I don't remember hearing a similar noise during the brief time I had it running off the hard drive it came with.

Associate
OP
It isn't loud enough where you'd hear it in a desktop, if the fan is going on the laptop or the speakers are making any noise, it's inaudible.

Soldato
I know the noise you mean, is it like a faint white noise? You'll probably find that it is noisy while it's working.

Soldato
Any money what you are actually hearing is electrical interference through the speakers of your laptop. That's usually caused by a poor earth somewhere.

I can hear the same on my PC when using the onboard soundcard of my old mobo, which is the main reason I stopped using it and got a soundblaster.

Soldato
More than likely it's the ThinkPad. I've seen more T61s than I care to recall and earlier ones can emit a slight white whining noise in certain CPU power states.

Space in the HDD bay is tight, doubt you'd be able to damped the sound much if it was the SSD.

Caporegime
I cantsee how ssd's make a noise theres nothing inside that moves its all electronic chips ect

motherboard whine is common,i don't know if you can access the bios but turning off c1e power saving state will help reduce it

Associate
OP
I was surprised to find that there was an update since I've only had the laptop about 4 months but it's all up to date now. I'll wait and see on that one. The CPU is on the left but the noise if definitely coming from the hdd bay under the right side of the palmrest. If I take the drive out of the caddy then there'll be plenty of room for some padding. Is it likely to damage the drive if I do so?

Soldato
I cantsee how ssd's make a noise theres nothing inside that moves its all electronic chips ect

motherboard whine is common,i don't know if you can access the bios but turning off c1e power saving state will help reduce it

It's a corporate ThinkPad. Basic options only. Took them months to add an option to enable VT-x ...

Soldato
I was surprised to find that there was an update since I've only had the laptop about 4 months but it's all up to date now. I'll wait and see on that one. The CPU is on the left but the noise if definitely coming from the hdd bay under the right side of the palmrest. If I take the drive out of the caddy then there'll be plenty of room for some padding. Is it likely to damage the drive if I do so?

To be fair they tend to update the app with every new model range they launch, but it's one app for all supported systems.

Probly no issue to removing the rubber mounts. They are designed to help cushion shocks to a spinny drive. Just make sure it's secure and won't disconnect in use.

Another thought - tried disabling the motion sensor (Active Protection System). It's not needed on an SSD.

Last edited:
Caporegime

it wont hurt it,they don't run hot anyway

Associate
OP
Well, something has made the noise go away, or at least it seems to have. I suppose if it comes back I can always go ahead with my padding idea. Turning off the shock protection may well have done it but it's difficult to be sure. Thanks for the help guys.

Associate
they store up power can be for the cpu and then youll hear a click as it passes on the power,to do with power saving at idle

I`ve never seen a relay on a motherboard. Maybe they used them on older boards, but I`ve been "dabbling" with PC hardware for 20 years, and I don't remember relays being used for this purpose.

VRMs are usually used to regulate and control power for the CPU, they are not relays and do not "click".

Back
Top Bottom