The OCUK Whisky (and Whiskey) review thread

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Thats a real shame, more so I don't live close to you :D but about you not liking the whisky too. Laphroaig is definitely acquired taste but i absolutely love the stuff, plenty more bottles on the shelf though

Got to agree. Laphroaig is fabulous stuff but not to everyone's taste.

This is the extent of my whisky shelf at the moment:
X0Qwenr.jpg

This has to be the least amount of whisky I've had for many many years. I've been concentrating on other stuff recently and let it slip :(

I'm off on holiday tomorrow and then, the day after I get back, I'm away to work. I won't be home for about 6 weeks but, when I do get back, I need to seriously replenish my stocks. Any suggestions will be gratefully received. I'm always keen to try stuff I haven't had before so, if you have a favourite I may not have tried, feel free to tell me about it (especially why you like it and why I might like it).
NB. I have had very many whiskies so you might need to get creative ;) To narrow things down a bit, we'll set the price limit at £100 per bottle (I don't want all of them to be that price, that's just the maximum ;)).

As for the Balvenie Caribbean Cask in the photo, it's a very nice whisky (as one would expect from Balvenie). Nose is unspectacular with hints of toffee and oak. Taste is oaky with a hint of hay and a bit of citrus and a bit of sweetness (toffeeish). Finish is longish and reveals more of the sweetness with a bit of vanilla.

In conclusion, this is a very tasty whisky and worryingly easy to drink. How do Balvenie do it? I've never had a bad Balvenie yet.

Soldato
579796_10151612212962214_217751233_n.jpg

Finally got a bottle of this, lol.

Had to go to Peterborough Waitrose to get some, which is about 20 miles away. Worth it though, lol.

Just had a bottle of it, was very nice. HKFELH:KLDSJ:mad:LKFJ:L@KDSFJL:

(well not right now I mean, was a good Bourbon)

Soldato
After a little advice please, im looking to try some nice whisky/whiskey. I have only ever had jim beam or jack daniels and there ok, jack has some nice coconut notes to it but they seem unrefined from what i have gathered and after bringing a period of near sobriety to an end would like a nice sensible sip.

Not having a clue about whisky or what i like or they offer id like some recommendations, i love smoky food, the smokier the better so does this translate across to whisky am i more inclined to favor a smokey drink.

What does a petey whisky exactly translate to too?

Im looking to spend around £30-35 and would preferably like to walk into a local supermarket and pick up a bottle, im unsure of any shops that offer varied selections in my area so local sup's would be easier.

Any thoughts?

I always found a Glenfiddich to be a good introduction frankly.

Soldato
Got to agree. Laphroaig is fabulous stuff but not to everyone's taste.

This is the extent of my whisky shelf at the moment:
[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/X0Qwenr.jpg[/IMG]

This has to be the least amount of whisky I've had for many many years. I've been concentrating on other stuff recently and let it slip :(

I'm off on holiday tomorrow and then, the day after I get back, I'm away to work. I won't be home for about 6 weeks but, when I do get back, I need to seriously replenish my stocks. Any suggestions will be gratefully received. I'm always keen to try stuff I haven't had before so, if you have a favourite I may not have tried, feel free to tell me about it (especially why you like it and why I might like it).
NB. I have had very many whiskies so you might need to get creative ;) To narrow things down a bit, we'll set the price limit at £100 per bottle (I don't want all of them to be that price, that's just the maximum ;)).

As for the Balvenie Caribbean Cask in the photo, it's a very nice whisky (as one would expect from Balvenie). Nose is unspectacular with hints of toffee and oak. Taste is oaky with a hint of hay and a bit of citrus and a bit of sweetness (toffeeish). Finish is longish and reveals more of the sweetness with a bit of vanilla.

In conclusion, this is a very tasty whisky and worryingly easy to drink. How do Balvenie do it? I've never had a bad Balvenie yet.

My go to whisky/beer shop in Glasgow have just got involved in bottling their own single malt. Before this, they had a barrel in the corner which they added a bottle to every month or so and I've heard some good things about.
Anyway, their latest bottling is a Glentaucher. Cask strength. 390 bottles. I'm going to buy one for my friend for his birthday. I'm more than happy to pick one up for you (at cost!).

I haven't drank it, but these guys wouldn't peddle something poor, and keen to try some when I buy a bottle for my pal. Let me know if it's something that interests you.

Associate
I'm completely out of whisky at the moment and I would like to try something new (around £30)

I have enjoyed Caol Ila 12yo, Balvene double wood, anCnoc 12yo, Laphroaig

Any recommendations? I think I prefer an oaky taste to peat but still enjoy something like Laphroaig

Associate
Booths have anCnoc 12 year old on offer at the moment for just under £20 so if there's one near you it's well worth picking one up. For something different then maybe try a Highland Park.

Soldato
My favourite daily drinker, Glenlivet 18 Y O, was on offer for £40 at my local Waitrose last week, plus I had £30 in Waitrose vouchers from my Shell fuel card so I had to pick up the last 2 bottles of the stuff. One's already 2/3 gone, it's really nice stuff!

Associate
I picked up a 70cl decanter in debenhams yesterday, £13.50 down from £45.
I am looking for suggestions of what to put in it! Will be working to a budget however as im due to move soon. Id say at most £25 - £30.

gRn9oyF.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
the anCnoc was excellent but no Booths in the South unfortunately. I'm close to a whisky exchange that I'll probably buy from.

They have a Glen Garioch 8yo and Founders Reserve at 48% both for £30
Also the Highland Park http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-6941.aspx

I went for the Highland Park and I think it's a little too average for what I was looking for. It's a very smooth drink but nothing amazing. saying that, I'm a good halfway through the bottle and still enjoying it!

Soldato
Picked up a bottle of the Balvenie Doublewood today, can't wait to crack it open and have a wee dram ;)

thats probably one of my favourites, if not, the favourite. love the stuff, mellow on the pallet and tastes devine. the balvenie signature is also grand.

i purchased a bottle of Deanston 12 yr old on fri in a whisky shop. i had previouslt tried the deanston 10 yr old at a whisky tasting event and never seen it. thats a delicious smooth malt if ever their was one.

Soldato
the anCnoc was excellent but no Booths in the South unfortunately. I'm close to a whisky exchange that I'll probably buy from.

They have a Glen Garioch 8yo and Founders Reserve at 48% both for £30
Also the Highland Park http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-6941.aspx

i have the glen garioch founders at home and i find it to strong for me and a little harsh even with water. strange aftertaste to. if you like lighter whiskys try and balvenies or jura 10 yr old or superstition.

Soldato
Would anyone recommend the Balvenie DoubleWood as a good starter whisky for someone who isn't really into whisky? I love my whisky, but I am an exception in that I started on Laphroaig and my love for whisky grew from there. I don't know many people that started on a whisky with such a complex flavour and still drink whisky. He doesn't really like Laphroaig, the smoke and peat is too intense for him at the moment so I'm looking at alternatives and I thought Speyside would be a good start.

If not the DoubleWood, then what about the Signature?

Back
Top Bottom