Someone hit my parked car!

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Your neighbour deserves a massive bunch of flowers!
Awesome neighbour you have! Good luck with it :)

Associate
I would strongly advise you go to the police about this. I almost got done for leaving the scene of an accident last year when i clipped a parked car when reversing.

I had no paper and pen in the car so i didn't have really any choice but to drive off, anyway i got spotted doing it and someone reported me to the police.

2 weeks later pc plod knocks my door, and wants to question me about leaveing the scene of an accident. Luckly, when i got home from the accident i rang the police and reported it my self just incase anyone did see.

So when i gave him my crime/accident number he checked it on his computer and nothing was ever done.

If i hadn't of reported it i could have gone to court and got points+fine.

Soldato
If someone hits your car, you have to report it to the police by law, if I am not mistaken you should do it within 24hrs.

The police told me I had to turn up at the police station with my documents even though I wasn't even driving the vehicle as it was driven into when it was parked. So to repeat, reporting it to the police isn't an option, you have to do it.

Soldato
If someone hits your car, you have to report it to the police by law, if I am not mistaken you should do it within 24hrs.

The police told me I had to turn up at the police station with my documents even though I wasn't even driving the vehicle as it was driven into when it was parked. So to repeat, reporting it to the police isn't an option, you have to do it.

With a damage only accident you don't have to report it to the police by law. If details have been exchanged (VRM, owners name and address and drivers name and address) and insurance details if necessary, then there is no need to report. However if details weren't exchanged or there was some injury to anyone then it must be reported.

In the case of the OP, I would be reporting this to the police ASAP. I would also try and get a description of the driver from your neighbour if possible to potentially avoid any "confusion" down the line.

Associate
OP
Sorry! I posted and ran!

I've got news from insurance - it's a write off! Expect a spec me a car thread!

:(

Reported this to the police within 24 hours and had to go down the local station to fill out some forms. Just found out about the write off on Friday.

I've been really organised/bored and created an epic spreadsheet of potential cars...
Car, value, insurance cost, tax & mpg.

It was a message passed on - I need to call the insurers to see what's happening about liability etc.

Spec me thread: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24079175

Associate
Unfortunately once a car gets over a certain age (like 25mins, LOL) a really small accident can be the end of it :(

Nice to see there are some genuinely helpful people like your neighbour still in the world though :) Chances of a witness let alone one with all the details from a hit and run is basically 0 :(

Soldato
My car has been hit while being parked.

The back wheel and rim are mashed up. The car moved about 3 foot. Lots of scratching.

kv38.jpg

g5b5.jpg

g2ul.jpg

There were no witnesses around because it must have been early this morning. When I went to bed at 12:30am it was fine because I looked out of the windows trying to listen to where the music was coming. There must have a big party going on somewhere in the neighbourhood. I could hear music and loads of people talking.

Should I get in touch with the Police and report it?? No witnesses and no one injured - is it a waste of time?

Cheers.

Soldato
Well I am not sure yet. The car is hardly worth anything (about £600) and I don't want to lose 9 years of no claims. My car insurance is passing over to a new provider on the 2nd of October. By the time I can get it checked out for a quote I will be with my new provider. Do I use them if I do need to make a claim?

Associate
TBH unless you know who did it and can claim on their insurance, your excess may be more than a new wheel from a local scrap yard.

Pop the spare on and go get the suspension checked.

Back
Top Bottom