Bioshock 3 - Infinite

Soldato
Just started playing Infinite... wow, I'm blown away by the visuals!

Is it just me or does the mouse responsiveness feel a bit awkward? Aiming just doesn't feel right but I can't put my finger on why.

Man of Honour
Just started playing Infinite... wow, I'm blown away by the visuals!

Is it just me or does the mouse responsiveness feel a bit awkward? Aiming just doesn't feel right but I can't put my finger on why.

Mouse was absolutely horrid for me seemed to be a combination of 2 things one that the same physical mouse movement didn't seem to result in the same amount of movement ingame, every time you'd get a bit of deviation so those instinctive flicks you'd pull off fine in other games wouldn't have the same result in this game and also that the smallest possible physical movement would overshoot what you were aiming for.

I had to open up my documents\my games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config\XUserOptions.ini and change these settings to:

MinMouseLookSensitivity=0.050000
MaxMouseLookSensitivity=0.200000

EnableMouseAcceleration=False
MouseLookSensitivity=0.050000

Then start the game and slide the mouse sensitivity to the max (0.20000) to get consistant mouse input.

Any deviation from that including just setting MouseLookSensitivity=0.200000 in the config would result in horrid mouse input - not quite sure what the logic is but doing those steps fixed it. Some people have reported you also need to disable VSync ingame and force it on in the nVidia or AMD control panels to get the mouse working nicely but I didn't find I needed that.

Personally I didn't find any other range of settings to work so if your ideal mouse sensitivity doesn't fall between those 2 you might not find a workable setting but I didn't exhaustively test it and/or different settings might work differently for other people.

EDIT: I'm playing at 1920x1080 with a 400dpi mouse so other combinations of resolution, FOV and mouse dpi will probably need a different sensitivity - not sure why the min and max settings seem to have an impact also as I'd assume they only controlled the range and granularity of the slider in the options window but for some reason there seems to be a relationship between all 3 in actual gameplay. (Some games have an option for min and max related to mouse acceleration but I didn't think these settings were for that).

Last edited:
Soldato
Stuck on first mission trying to find the girl. I am on the edge of this boat type thing with fireworks on it. I just got the skyhook, the arrow says to get on the skyline to continue, but I can't figure out how the hell to get onto the skyline with the skyhook. Help please!

Soldato
Stuck on first mission trying to find the girl. I am on the edge of this boat type thing with fireworks on it. I just got the skyhook, the arrow says to get on the skyline to continue, but I can't figure out how the hell to get onto the skyline with the skyhook.

How far into the game are you? You don't get to actually use a skyline for a while after you get the hook.

Soldato
Cheers Rroff. It has almost the same "floaty" issues as I had in Dead Space so it looks like disabling vsync is the way to go. Thanks for those other settings too!

Soldato
My second playthrough is throwing up plenty of stuff I didn't get or see first time around. Loving some of the quotes as well:

Eh, Elizabeth, why is your mother a ghost?

Soldato
I never noticed any issue with aiming or mouse, but maybe because I had to put mouse sensitivity almost to the bottom as I have my mouse extremely sensitive.

I haven't played it since I finished the game on normal but I am getting the itch to play it again. I think more than anything I just want to get engrossed in the world again.

Soldato
Mapping melee to a spare mouse button works nicely. Wow it's quite harsh! :D

Must try to get my settings sorted though. I'm even tempted to upgrade my GPU because of this game.

Soldato
I had to map stuff differently, I could not play it with default maps. I mapped ADS to right mouse and used other mouse buttons for melee and vigor.

Must try to get my settings sorted though. I'm even tempted to upgrade my GPU because of this game.
What have you got atm?

Soldato
I haven't played it since I finished the game on normal but I am getting the itch to play it again. I think more than anything I just want to get engrossed in the world again.

Yeah same here, I figured I'd leave it a while before playing on 1999 as I'd appreciate it more if I hadn't played for a while, but not sure I can.

Oh, I must do this next play through. I’m sure the reason I didn’t melee much was that I found it awkward on the default key, not sure why I didn’t think to change it.

Associate
**Very minor spoilers**

My opinion of the game:

Wow. Good start, fair middle, great battles here and there… some wonderful moments between Booker and Elizabeth… but all in all a fair bit disappointing in the end. But I’m grateful for the game Irrational Games have worked hard to provide us and thankfully they didn’t cut Elizabeth or downplay her role… she is definitely one of Bioshock Infinite’s most important elements.

Pros:

Elizabeth
Songbird
Colourful, interesting world – a welcome change.
Attention to detail. Details. Detail everywhere.
Graphics / high quality textures (mostly)
Gunplay, dynamic / varied combat
Upgradeable weapons / vigors - fun to use.
Skylines - fun to use, new combat element.

Cons:

Looting system relatively pointless. F to open, F to take all. Why bother? Just auto loot when you move close to it, or just take all instantly after one key press. Saves hammering the F key all the time. If there was an inventory system like SS2 maybe it would make sense to see what is inside and take what you want... but this is not that kind of game.

Annoying autosave system. Should have at least given us the option to use it or not.

Skylines limited / underused – trailers quite deceiving on this one.

Relatively small levels compared to what was implied in the trailers.

Floating city feels pretty static the further into the game you play, apart from the odd building here and there that bobs to remind us “Hey, you’re still on a city in the clouds, look we’re floating a bit!”

Remember some of those cool set pieces we saw in the trailers? Cut.

Handyman encounters…. Few. So very few (hardest difficulty setting but not 1999 mode)

Combat music (Dull, repetitive)

Story (Tries to be too clever for its own good… seriously WTF)

Drawn-out ending… would have preferred a tighter, shorter ending that flowed better. The interactivity was a nice touch though rather than just watching an in-game generated cutscene.

Inconsistencies… plot and Elizabeth’s character. For example dialogue and mood not appropriate to what has transpired mere seconds before. "Elizabeth, I know you've just been tortured and all but.. say, could you pick this lock?" *Cue inappropriately chirpy generic response #12* lol.

Carefully crafted animation one minute, lazy the next… two different teams working on different parts of the game? Some obviously lack attention to detail whilst others clearly pride themselves on it.

Considering the amount of damage Columbia sustained throughout the Vox uprising and subsequent battles that ensued, it would have been neat to have seen parts of the city start decending towards the surface, dropping out of the sky, floatation devices failing and causing havok... as hinted towards, again, in the trailers! Sure everything is on fire in the end but the fire effects aren't particularily impressive a lot of the time.

Overly picky? A bit unfair... well, perhaps... overall it's a great game. It's just my opinion :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom