PS4 and Xbox Rumours

Caporegime
What happens if you buy the £500 console and it dies out of warranty? Do you have to buy the £500 one again or just the £300 one? If you buy the £500 and then want to sell it, can you sell your subscription-exemption too? By subscription Ive assumed is just another XBL online service, rather than an arbitrary levy.

Fun and games calling MS CS then :eek:. Fun rumour though...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Never been so antsy for official word on a console before. Microsoft's silence is so painful at this point. With so many horrible rumors floating around I wish they would just stop being so stubborn and tell us what they have planned for the future Xbox.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What happens if you buy the £500 console and it dies out of warranty? Do you have to buy the £500 one again or just the £300 one? If you buy the £500 and then want to sell it, can you sell your subscription-exemption too? By subscription Ive assumed is just another XBL online service, rather than an arbitrary levy.

Fun and games calling MS CS then :eek:. Fun rumour though...

It's a strange rumour that's for sure.

Caporegime
It's a strange rumour that's for sure.
Must be bourne out of the idea that the base model is going to be more expensive than expected, I dno if that means more than what they think the PS4 will be or more than they think people would pay for the console at launch.

Just one of those rumours thats just too rough to have that much credence IMHO. Confusing potential customers by providing competing models that arent different on physical specs isnt a great idea.

Associate
And with 76 million Xbox 360 consoles around the world with 46 million Xbox LIVE members

I can't see it being an always on connection for solo games, according to those figures that would exclude 30 million users.

Or maybe the true figure is 50 million, the other 26 million are sitting at the bottom of their owners wardrobe after rrod'ing.

Caporegime
Yes that's a good point, those figures should roughly tell them all they need to know. I'd love to know if their figures include all the RROD's. If it does you can knock 10+ consoles off for me :D

Caporegime
I guess it all depends upon the way in which it deals the "always on" part. Steam for example, assumes an always on connection as well, and is built around it. However if you want to take your PC away to somewhere without a net connection, or your internet goes down, you can put it to offline mode and carry on gaming.

As long as they have the backbone infrastructure (which supporting the existing xbox live service they probably do) to ensure it works, and allow something like this most will be fine. We already have to connect at some point to download dashboard updates to get our xbox online so that will be no different.

I highly suspect that the repercussions of being "always online" are being widely overstated in a bid to scaremonger. Those figures tell us who pays for the xbox live sub, not the number of people who have never ever plugged an internet cable into their machine, which i suspect most have.

Its not the fact it expects an internet connection that will be a problem, as nearly everybody does. The key will be how it deals with it, and what happens if you don't.

Last edited:
Soldato
I read today that it will be Windows 8 based. Puts me off straight away! :p
I'm starting a rumour now that it won't be a console but will be an add-on like the Mega CD :D

Associate
I wouldn't be interested in paying a sub for the actual console at all, paying for XBL is something I can agree with, paying for something I've already paid for? I don't think it's likely that will be the case. I would've thought $300 is for the console, then you carry on paying your XBL subscription just like the 360, with the $500 model having a subscription already linked to it somehow.

If its anything like the subscription they trialed for the xbox360 it will be $300 + a subscription to xbox live gold for 2 years.

Associate
Just one of those rumours thats just too rough to have that much credence IMHO. Confusing potential customers by providing competing models that arent different on physical specs isnt a great idea.

Why? it works for phones. It reduces the barrier to entry without reducing the cost overall.

i.e same product but different payment plans to purchase it

Last edited:
Associate
No backwards compatibility is almost a deal breaker for me. Surely the new Xbox will be PC architecture as is the 360 so backwards compatibility should not be an issue. I understand the problems with the PS3 but not for the 360.

I have a back catalog of 360 games I want to play and will continue to want to play but in 3-4 years time if the 360 fails then I will instantly loose access to them and not have the ability to buy a new machine.

sucks tbh. :(

Caporegime
No backwards compatibility is almost a deal breaker for me. Surely the new Xbox will be PC architecture as is the 360 so backwards compatibility should not be an issue. I understand the problems with the PS3 but not for the 360.

The 360 is Power PC which is different to x86. Cell in the PS3 is a variant of Power PC, too. Therefore, neither will have BC. You'll have to pick up the new £99 Xbox or keep your old one.

Soldato
Some news around today relating to the x86 and lack of backwards compatibility for the Nextbox.

I love the fighting talk from MS in the last line btw :D

Microsoft will use AMD chips to power its next Xbox, and 360 game discs won’t be compatible with the new console, according to Bloomberg sources.

The rumoured move suggests that, like Sony with PS4, Microsoft intends to encourage developers to release games on its platform by aligning its architecture with the popular x86 format common to many PCs.

AMD’s tech will also power Sony’s PS4, so that developers “can essentially create once and port once,” to release their games on multiple console platforms, president of tech consultancy firm Envisioneering Group Richard Doherty told Bloomberg.

The report also adds that in terms of revealing its plans for the next Xbox, Microsoft “decided against an April event because it saw little competitive pressure from Sony.”

http://www.edge-online.com/news/next-xbox-to-use-amd-chipset-and-wont-play-360-discs-says-bloomberg/

Back
Top Bottom