Battlefield 3 thread - Server details in opening post -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Wish i was as good as this guy.

He just makes it all look so easy.

His ability to pull off the turns that gets him behind somebody every time is amazing. Does help the enemy team doesnt have a decent jet pilot, but I'm no use even against crap pilots !

This REALLY makes me want to try jets in softcore :)

Associate
Morning all,

At the moment I'm running an Samsung 830 as my boot drive with an older 120GB Vertex 2 as a Steam/Origin drive. With the Samsung 840s at tempting prices I decided to get a 240GB version to replace my rapidly-filling Vertex 2 as my new games drive.

Basically I'm looking for tips/advice from people with similar experiences moving Origin/BF3 from an old drive to a new one. I'm not worried about migrating my Steam games as I have done that before and it's been hassle-free. My current plan is to take out the old drive, install the new one with the same drive letter (D) then directly copy all the Origin/BF3 files onto the new drive, maintaining the previous file structure. Do you think this can be achieved without uninstalling Origin, or will it notice that the drive is different and cause problems? Should I re-install Origin to the new drive first, set a new folder for my downloaded games and then copy over the game contents only?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

MA

Just copy the Battlefield 3 folder from your original drive, do a fresh install of Origin, close origin and copy the battlefield 3 folder in, open origin start the Battlefield 3 download and it'll fly through the download. Make sure you install all the redists that come with BF3 or you'll get plagued with the no gun bug

Associate
JGStonedRaider: Just wanted to say thanks for organising that scrim last week. I really enjoyed it, it's great fun to play organised games, with people actually working together.... Any idea when you're going to organise another for? :D

Soldato
JGStonedRaider: Just wanted to say thanks for organising that scrim last week. I really enjoyed it, it's great fun to play organised games, with people actually working together.... Any idea when you're going to organise another for? :D

Thank you Jon :)

I imagine it will be this coming Sunday the 14th. CQ247 will put on another 247 & Friends Scrim War ~ All OcUK'ers are invited of course. We will do CQ Sml + other mixed modes.

You will have to sign up on our forum CQ247 and be on Teamspeak with us, even if you don't want to talk. I will post the details and the sign up in the next few days.

Last edited:
Soldato
After playing each of the expansion packs for a few hours I much prefer close quarters and aftermath. The scavenger mode is great fun and the total chaos of CQ levels are brilliant and remind me of how good metro can be on the right servers etc. The vehicle orientated expansion packs just aren't for me as I really don't think they are balanced at all for infantry.

Caporegime
After playing each of the expansion packs for a few hours I much prefer close quarters and aftermath. The scavenger mode is great fun and the total chaos of CQ levels are brilliant and remind me of how good metro can be on the right servers etc. The vehicle orientated expansion packs just aren't for me as I really don't think they are balanced at all for infantry.

They aren't

I've had this argument before and that was the reason that the massive BF2 maps like Zatar wetlands were never popular, because they are just so heavily vehicle based.

If you're not in a tank or a jet or a chopper or some form of vehicle, then you will likely get shot by somebody who is in one due to the abundance of them on the map, and the distances between flags.

The reason caspian border etc.. had so few vehicles compared to BF2 was to try to focus the infantry combat and reduce the dominance of the vehicles.

Thats why the smaller maps like Back to Karkand were much more popular in BF2.

But theres a select bunch of die hard BF2 fans who refuse to believe that battlefield should be anything other than a vehicle biased game.

Last edited:
Caporegime
They aren't

I've had this argument before and that was the reason that the massive BF2 maps like Zatar wetlands were never popular, because they are just so heavily vehicle based.

If you're not in a tank or a jet or a chopper or some form of vehicle, then you will likely get shot by somebody who is in one due to the abidance of them on the map, and the distances between flags.

The reason caspian border etc.. had so few vehicles compared to BF2 was to try to focus the infantry combat and reduce the dominance of the vehicles.

But theres a select bunch of die hard BF2 fans who refuse to exist that battlefield should be anything other than a vehicle biased game.

True, but the best BF maps have a mixture of both. Some built up areas where you can get involved in infantry fights but also open sections. Caspian is quite good for this as you have checkpoint, forest and hilltop fairly close together.

Caporegime
caspian is a herp derp console map in some peoples eyes, and even Bandaar desert wasn't big enough for them.

If you want smaller maps like caspian then your just a noob and shouldn't be playing battlefield. Look back in the thread and you an can see plenty of comments from Raven etc.. along this line.

Soldato
They aren't

If you're not in a tank or a jet or a chopper or some form of vehicle, then you will likely get shot by somebody who is in one due to the abundance of them on the map, and the distances between flags.

But theres a select bunch of die hard BF2 fans who refuse to believe that battlefield should be anything other than a vehicle biased game.

I've always thought it was stats, rather than the vehicles that got people to flock to the smaller maps.

1942, no stats, one of the most popular was El Alamein. Huge map, caught in the middle without a vehicle and you had a long walk and may as well have just given up. It still remained popular even on Desert Combat where the AC130 was there to rain down fire from the sky.

I also recall moaning on severs when Berlin or Stalingrad came up because they were just nade spam maps.

I don't recall a massive flocking to the small maps on vietnam either. I think hastings was one of the most popular and that was not a tiny map. No stats on Vietnam either.

BF2 demo comes, no stats. Gulf of Oman, a vehicle heavy map is well received.

Retail comes out, stats go live, people work out medic whoring gets you the most points. Vehicles now suck, vehicle based maps suck. Go on infantry only server and it's basically a medic orgy.

Last edited:
Associate
Finally started playing this game again, forgot how amazing it is.

2 questions though, I own the limited edition pack but now theres a premium pack where it looks like you get everything. Is there like a 1 off payment to just unlock everything I don't have and if so how much?

Last question, I am the worlds WORST pilot of planes in this game... can you set up something so I use keyboard and mouse for usual soldier play and than as I hop into a plane I can revert to a joystick/pad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom