Crucials new SSD! The M500! Pre-order for stock end of week!

Soldato
Hello

Crucial have just released their new SSD called the M500...

Its said to be VERY fast and as always we will make sure a review is up at some point in the not so distant future.

Take a look below at these awesome new drives!

Crucial M500 120GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive - (CT120M500SSD1) @ £95.99 inc VAT

HD-027-CR_400.jpg

Crucial M500 SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive

Transform your system’s performance.
New interfaces and multitasking demands require more from your system than perhaps ever before. From connecting instantly with friends and accessing apps, websites, and playlists online, to simultaneously streaming videos and downloading files, your computer is faced with an entirely new set of performance expectations that a hard drive struggles to meet. That’s where the Crucial ® M500 SSD comes in. With data transfer speeds that are radically faster than a hard drive, the Crucial M500 SSD isn’t just a storage upgrade - it’s a complete system transformation. From its nearly instantaneous boot times, powerful data transfer speeds, increased multitasking capability, and rock- solid reliability, the Crucial M500 delivers dramatic performance gains – all at an affordable price.

- Interface: SATA 6Gb/s
- Sustained Sequential Read: 500MB/s
- Sustained Sequential Write: 130MB/s
- Random Read (4k transfer): 62,000 IOPS
- Random Write (4k transfer): 35,000 IOPS
- Form Factor: 2.5"
- NAND: 20nm Micron MLC
- Warranty: 3 year

Only £95.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Crucial M500 240GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive - (CT240M500SSD1) @ £163.99 inc VAT

HD-028-CR_400.jpg

New interfaces and multitasking demands require more from your system than perhaps ever before. From connecting instantly with friends and accessing apps, websites, and playlists online, to simultaneously streaming videos and downloading files, your computer is faced with an entirely new set of performance expectations that a hard drive struggles to meet. That’s where the Crucial ® M500 SSD comes in. With data transfer speeds that are radically faster than a hard drive, the Crucial M500 SSD isn’t just a storage upgrade - it’s a complete system transformation. From its nearly instantaneous boot times, powerful data transfer speeds, increased multitasking capability, and rock- solid reliability, the Crucial M500 delivers dramatic performance gains – all at an affordable price.

- Sustained Sequential Write: 250MB/s
- Random Read (4k transfer): 72,000 IOPS
- Random Write (4k transfer): 60,000 IOPS

Only £163.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Crucial M500 480GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive - (CT480M500SSD1) @ £319.99 inc VAT

HD-029-CR_400.jpg

- Sustained Sequential Write: 400MB/s
- Random Read (4k transfer): 80,000 IOPS
- Random Write (4k transfer): 80,000 IOPS

Only £319.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Crucial M500 960GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive - (CT960M500SSD1) @ £499.99 inc VAT

HD-030-CR_400.jpg

- Sustained Sequential Write: 400MB/s
- Random Read (4k transfer): 80,000 IOPS
- Random Write (4k transfer): 80,000 IOPS

Only £499.99 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

Associate
Looks like Crucial's new range of SSDs are very similar in performance to Samsung's 840 series.

I think the choice between Crucial or Samsung will probably come down to price.

Last edited:
Associate
Looks like Crucial's new range of SSDs are very similar in performance to Samsung's 840 series.

I think the choice between Crucial or Samsung will probably come down to price.

since Samsung has a deal currently - Im real curious as to their comparison. In the market for a 500 gig version of either. And have been very happy with my m4; although now I just need more space.

wondering what the new m500 will bring so cant wait for a solid review then I should be able to decide on the Samsung or the m500.

Associate
djxput,

I`ve installed quite a few M4s in the past year or two, but more recently switched to Samsung 830s and now 840s.

I owned an Intel x25 80gb for nearly 3 years before recently switching to a Samsung 840 250gb (non-pro).

Yes, the 840 is faster than the x25 was, but not by a massive amount. I honestly can't tell much, if any difference between the M4, 830 or my current 840. Benchmarks may show a difference, but it's been stated before that the "real world" performance difference is often undetectable.

My choice comes down to price, and Samsung seem to currently have the edge.

Associate
djxput,

I`ve installed quite a few M4s in the past year or two, but more recently switched to Samsung 830s and now 840s.

I owned an Intel x25 80gb for nearly 3 years before recently switching to a Samsung 840 250gb (non-pro).

Yes, the 840 is faster than the x25 was, but not by a massive amount. I honestly can't tell much, if any difference between the M4, 830 or my current 840. Benchmarks may show a difference, but it's been stated before that the "real world" performance difference is often undetectable.

My choice comes down to price, and Samsung seem to currently have the edge.

thanks for that - my original reason for getting a m4 but with the rebate Samsung may steal the show ...

Associate
thanks for that - my original reason for getting a m4 but with the rebate Samsung may steal the show ...

In truth, unless you are benchmarking, it comes down to price and reliability.

Dare I say that I`ve installed about 15 -20 M4s and about 10 Samsungs. No problems so far.

I now choose Samsung due to price (and I quite like their magician software). Crucial might get me back if they become competitive once again.

Crucial's RMA is supposed to be good, and I would have thought that Samsung don't "mess around". My Intel x25 did fail a few months before it's 3 year warranty expired. They took 10 days to replace it, which was OK(ish).

Soldato
The M500 was billed as being cheaper than the current M4's due to cheaper flash. No point in rushing out to buy these early drives as they should get quite a bit cheaper, especially when they are smaller at each price point than the M4's

Once they drop below £130 for a 240Gb I'll grab one :)

Soldato
Had there been a 5 year warranty, like the Samsung 840 Pro has, this would have been very tempting as this seems to be more of a refined/tweaked Crucial M4 to me. :cool:

Soldato
OP
IN RESPONSE TO ALL THE ABOVE COMPLAINING ABOUT PRICE

Firstly, £450 at time of dollar rate would work out at around £480 based on when these were purchased and ordered in. If you check our competition its not just OcUK that has priced it as it is. Infact at time of publishing on our site we were the lower price in the UK.

If you look at the American prices that do not include VAT or TAX (as this is tax by state) you will notice that adding the same as VAT (20%) it brings you in at £500+

Theres no "robbing" or extra cashing in here. Just another case of forum members seeing a price and assuming its gospel which if I am honest is exactly what I did which left me a little disappointing as I was told it was going to be "sub £500"

As for a resller having it for £347. Show me where it is and I will buy all their stock. Thats significantly below cost and cost doesnt even include VAT and by significantly we alre talking 25% less than ours or ours are 33% more, which ever way you look at it someone whos selling those has messed up.

However as a good will gesture, price will be reduced to £499.99inc which as far as i can see is the lowest price in the UK now that is actually "correct" and from a reseller who will have stock and not a reseller who has a phantom product.

Associate
(too many popping up need to catch up :) ... looking forward to OCkers now

I liked anad's benches (seemed a bit more real worldish ... the last 2 above reviews rate the drive quite high - and esp. the 960 gig version price/performance.
anad and storagereview wasn't so kind with the speed compared to other drives.

btw did anyone read anything about awake from sleep times being 4x faster? - I recall reading something a month ago ~ about this.

Last edited:
Soldato
It depends, if you read all of those reviews they are really raving about the 480Gb M500, but for most people that's probably larger and more expensive than they would need.

The 240Gb M500 doesn't really compare that well to the 840 Pro sadly.

Back
Top Bottom