Crucials new SSD! The M500! Pre-order for stock end of week!

Associate
Who was complaining? Saying one product is better value than another is complaining now? Jesus wept

you missed the drama - not sure if threads got combines or what but okers first listed one price for the drives and people complained and then a price reduction and then more complaints ...

Soldato
Crucial blew it for me with their abysmal firmware updates on the M4.

Strange. I updated to 000F which gave me a big jump in write speeds which I was very happy with. I stuck with 000F as after reading up on the next update, it was clear that sticking with 000F was the smart move.

Very happy with my old M4.

Associate
Strange. I updated to 000F which gave me a big jump in write speeds which I was very happy with. I stuck with 000F as after reading up on the next update, it was clear that sticking with 000F was the smart move.

This was the problem, I upgraded from 000F only to have 2 drives hit the drive not recognised by BIOS issue and although I managed to rescue one by downgrading, the other drive died and had to be RMA'd.

The Crucial forums have a ton of users with the same issue with 04AH and now with the latest upgrade which is suposed to fix it the same is being reported.

I moved to Samsung and won't look back. I don't need benchmarks, my photoshop and games launch quickly with whatever SSD/SATA combination, reliabililty is king now.

Associate

hmm been a bit since I updated the firmware - so you got a speed increase even after the errr one firmware that gave that increase (forgot #)?

Soldato
hmm been a bit since I updated the firmware - so you got a speed increase even after the errr one firmware that gave that increase (forgot #)?

Yes. I've just dug out my screenshots that I took at the time. You can clearly see the better write score I received going from 0309 to 000F.

Here's 0309 :

Here's 000F:

Soldato
Yeah we're almost there with 2Tb drives, can't wait, i'll start using them as storage and replace my old machincal WD 2Tb's

4TB Hdd's are here already and are much cheaper.

Could still take a year or two until a 2TB SSD are under 500 pounds, by then 6TB hdd's will be here etc.

I don't see SDD's becoming viable for mass storage anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom