***The Official LG Nexus 4 Thread***

Associate
I've installed SetCPU and set it to clock the cpu to it's lowest when the screen is off. As well as clocking down when hot and when battery is falling. That has really upped my battery life.

Caporegime
How is it inefficient? Sure it's being lazy but I like gadgets.

it simply is, energy is lost in the wireless charging, it also takes longer to charge, etc. plus if you constantly leave it plugged in your wasting a lot more electricity, in effect your probably ending up spending an additional £10 per year having a wireless charger plus the additional £40 start up cost.

there is a reason why they aren't selling them mainstream over here, the market is too small.

the whole wireless charging has many disadvantages and one advantage.

Soldato
it simply is, energy is lost in the wireless charging, it also takes longer to charge, etc. plus if you constantly leave it plugged in your wasting a lot more electricity, in effect your probably ending up spending an additional £10 per year having a wireless charger plus the additional £40 start up cost.

there is a reason why they aren't selling them mainstream over here, the market is too small.

Plug a phone charger into a power meter and they don't even register. The amount of 'wasted' electricity would be virtually immeasurable.

Soldato
Well after a few days with the Nexus I love it

Had a right game with the screen protector, aren't they a pain!!! but after reading some horror stories regarding gorilla glass I kept it on. Will probably try and replace at some point

The trick with placing the screen protector:-

Get a surface that allows you to put your elbows on it and then hold the protector over the screen so you are nice and steady

I did it in the bath room with the bath tub filled with hot water to reduce the static in the air

Put sello tape on two positions of the protector to allow you to place it more easily - rather than the supplied ones which are generally at the top and make positioning hard

Place protector down and remove air bubbles

- now the fun part, with the bits of sellotape you have on, lift any parts that have a bit of dust trapped underneath and use an upside down sellotape to dab at the protector to remove the dust

Rinse and repeat till all dust is removed.

using the above I managed to achieve a 100% dust free placing.

Associate

You kinda made that up. Just to clarify, Wireless charging is slightly slower compared to your normal charger but not significant enough to raise costs.

In terms of leaving the charger plugged in you are not wasting electricity, £10 a year more :eek: ! that;s an overestimation by about £10s !

Your electricity bill is measured in kWh or Power used (Power = Voltage X Current), If nothing's plugged in on the other end there's no current flowing so theoretically Power being used=0, although there is some current flowing within the circuit which is same for any charger, wireless or not and will cost you less than 5p if you left it plugged in for a year.

Last edited:
Associate

Plug a phone charger into a power meter and they don't even register. The amount of 'wasted' electricity would be virtually immeasurable.

1. Yes more energy is lost in the wireless transfer itself. Can't seem to find any figures on it comparing the difference.

2. The Qi standard (which are what Google & Nokia use) delivers 5W of power which is the same as a standard (1A/5V) USB charger. So it shouldn't be any slower.

3. The wireless charging plate isn't some "dumb" device where the coils are continuously powered up. The Nokia one uses "less than 30mW" in standby which is 0.26kWh a year. Go look at your energy prices to see how laughably small that is.

Associate
1. Yes more energy is lost in the wireless transfer itself. Can't seem to find any figures on it comparing the difference.

2. The Qi standard (which are what Google & Nokia use) delivers 5W of power which is the same as a standard (1A/5V) USB charger. So it shouldn't be any slower.

3. The wireless charging plate isn't some "dumb" device where the coils are continuously powered up. The Nokia one uses "less than 30mW" in standby which is 0.26kWh a year. Go look at your energy prices to see how laughably small that is.

Due to the heat caused by inductive contact wireless charging will almost always be slightly slower than a direct contact charge (of same spec,5W), but as I mentioned earlier is nowhere near to increase the bill etc.

Soldato
The trick with placing the screen protector:-

Get a surface that allows you to put your elbows on it and then hold the protector over the screen so you are nice and steady

I did it in the bath room with the bath tub filled with hot water to reduce the static in the air

Put sello tape on two positions of the protector to allow you to place it more easily - rather than the supplied ones which are generally at the top and make positioning hard

Place protector down and remove air bubbles

- now the fun part, with the bits of sellotape you have on, lift any parts that have a bit of dust trapped underneath and use an upside down sellotape to dab at the protector to remove the dust

Rinse and repeat till all dust is removed.

using the above I managed to achieve a 100% dust free placing.

:D

Thanks!

Next time the kids have a bath I'll go in after and try again.

Associate
Due to the heat caused by inductive contact wireless charging will almost always be slightly slower than a direct contact charge (of same spec,5W), but as I mentioned earlier is nowhere near to increase the bill etc.

Oh I meant that the Qi spec takes all that into account. In the same way rating a standard wall AC to USB adapter output at 5W takes into account the inefficiencies of the power converter too. Either way the phone will receive 5W.

Back
Top Bottom