*** The 2013 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
I joined a gym this week and intend to go tonight for the first time. Can anyone recommend me some good excercises to ease myself in, I dont wanna go pulling muscles and injuring myself, but want to get used to the weights so I can build a proper routine in the near future.

I'm 5'8" and 140 ish pounds, no idea what I can lift or what to start at.

Thanks.

Man of Honour
>implying that makes the lift any easier

I'm not certain but I think/hope that opethdisciple is a bit concerned that it's more likely to lead to injuries if that's a regular occurrence.

But let's keep it in perspective, he's 14 and lifting over 3x his bodyweight so that must be either his 1rm or very close to it. I doubt it's something he does all that regularly and most of the time I'm sure he's much more solid in what he does. If I got even vaguely close to squatting 3x my bodyweight I expect I'd look much worse than that, hell, even 2x my bodyweight and I'd look a mess if I could do it.

I was fairly pleased with my session today, got a compliment on my squat form which is always nice although the weight is still nothing much. Also managed to move up to the next weight in the dumbbells for bench press for a couple of sets then back down again to complete the rest of the sets.

Caporegime
OP
That's only relevant to a certain point. If he's expecting to catch his cleans lower than that I'd have kicked him in the throat. Or, more fairly, kicked his coach in the throat for getting this talented young man to show off for YouTube.

Oh definitely and tbh at that age he should be catching heavier weights a lot lower. I'm just being kind as its a silly weight for his age and weight to even be considering :D

Associate
I joined a gym this week and intend to go tonight for the first time. Can anyone recommend me some good excercises to ease myself in, I dont wanna go pulling muscles and injuring myself, but want to get used to the weights so I can build a proper routine in the near future.

Thanks.

You are give or take the same build as me and I just started (3 weeks in). I am still trying to find my max weights but this should give you some idea.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18497855

Man of Honour
Oh definitely and tbh at that age he should be catching heavier weights a lot lower. I'm just being kind as its a silly weight for his age and weight to even be considering :D
Absolutely!

I hope my post didn't seem to cynical, it's a very impressive lift at any age.

Soldato
I'm not certain but I think/hope that opethdisciple is a bit concerned that it's more likely to lead to injuries if that's a regular occurrence.

opethdisciple is probably more concerned that the kid didn't recieve an absolute hounding from the resident experts for having not so perfect form. He failed to realise that it was a kid squatting more than most people on this forum however.

Soldato
If you look at all the biggest benches the arch isn't that big at all. A very extreme example is this:

[snip]

The massive arch seems to mostly come in in Russian feds (crazy Russians) and Amercian feds (make up daft rules). If you watch real powerlifting, IPF affiliated feds all the lifts are legit. It is in the silly small federations where the bad stuff comes in.

That seems a lot more reasonable to me, not taking in to account the holy digital zoom of peace, batman!

Associate

Thanks.

Congrats on taking the first steps to better yourself.

Go here, www.stronglifts.com , read the ebook and familiarise yourself with basic lift technique as detailed on the webpage. Start with the empty bar, this is a 20kg Olympic bar, and follow the program. This is the best starting point for beginners.

Soldato
Same concept, your grips still failing unless you literally have ice cubes for hands and no friction, which I find incredibly hard to believe :p

Chalk up, should be fine. At the end of the day, if you want to use straps you can use them just people on here will have a fit, you won't train your grip 'properly' etc.

I have terrible grip compared to some and I can lift 150kg mixed, so I'm assuming most people shouldn't have an issue because i'm a big girl.

This caught my attention.

Mason are you finding that your grip is failing even with straps? which would suggest that you're not using them properly, I've spotted a few people using them to 'wrap' their palm and then go round the bar where as they need to go under the bar and come over the top towards you. Ignore this if you're using them correctly. I have used them, not so much anymore, there's something more satisfing about lifting RAW, I can't get anywhere near my PB without them though. They have their place but shouldn't be relied on imo.

Best things for grip I've found have been static hangs/holds.

The thumb and upper forearm is the weak link for me in my grip (Gives out around 160/170KG). Can feeling it giving out too on BB reverse curls as well funnily enough.

Last edited:
Caporegime
so first week of doing squats/dead lifts/O.H.P/B.O.R regularly.

i really did not know it was possible for this many muscles to hurt at once

Associate
Does this 5/3/1 template seem reasonable?

Day 1: Shoulders and Biceps

Standing Military Press – 5/3/1
DB Military Press – 4 x 8
Side Laterals – 4 x 8
Barbell Curls – 4 x 8

Day 2: Back

Deadlift – 5/3/1
Bent Over Rows – 4 x 8
Chin ups – 3 x 6 (weighted), then 2 x bw to failure
Hanging leg raise 4 sets

Day 3: Chest and Triceps

Flat Bench 5/3/1
CGBP 4 x 8 (or incline DB bench instead)
Dumbell flies 4 x 8
Skullcrushers 4 x 8

Day 4: Legs

Squat – 5/3/1
Front squats 4 x 8
Leg Press – 4 x 8
Hanging Leg Raises 4 sets

Last edited:
Soldato
I feel as low as cow manure today. Had a drink last night (ok, a few) and came home, had a pack of marshmallows, a Mars bar and two cans of coke. And the diet was going so well. FML and bad drunken decisions :(.

Back
Top Bottom