***The Official HTC One Thread***

Soldato
Just to chip in with a bit more info, the battery life seems to have been better than my One X so far. Nothing spectacular but usually at about 50 - 60% charge when I get home from work with light to moderate use, which includes some music, some browsing and some youtube videos, all using 4G.

All round the screen does seem better than the One X (not counting the res), not as saturated, but brighter, better whites and because of the higher DPI the image just looks more solid.

On the note of displays... How much further are we going to go with this DPI... I think it is getting almost ridiculous.

More than anything though, it is the whole package, looks awesome, sounds awesome and the screen is awesome.

Associate
Me too.

To me the HTC One, Samsung S4 and the Xperia Z are largely the same. The main differing aspect between them is the build quality. For me, the HTC One feels like the best phone (build wise). It actually feels like £500 worth of technology in your hands when you hold it. Compare this to the S4 and it's like you're holding a toy phone. The Xperia Z is worth significant merit. However user preference also plays a part, and for me I prefer the One more than the Z.

I don't think your comments are wholly correct. The common denominator between all these phone, and what makes them similar, is the Android operating system and similar tech specs, but there are differences which people need to assess in order to determine which is the best phone for them.

For example:

- Design: Here, the HTC One may win with the Experia Z close behind
- Durability: The Experia Z's water resistant feature could be a differentiator for some here
- Software: The Blink interface on the One is good but I understand it is difficult to switch off Vs Samsung's Flipboard type interface. Also, the Zoe feature can clog up photo storage
- Expandability: Here, Samsung's exchangeable battery and SD card slot could be an important feature for users over and above HTC's iPhone approach

Man of Honour
Me too.

To me the HTC One, Samsung S4 and the Xperia Z are largely the same. The main differing aspect between them is the build quality. For me, the HTC One feels like the best phone (build wise). It actually feels like £500 worth of technology in your hands when you hold it. Compare this to the S4 and it's like you're holding a toy phone. The Xperia Z is worth significant merit. However user preference also plays a part, and for me I prefer the One more than the Z.

I agree.

We've reached a point where the technical capability of all high end Android phones is so far beyond what you actually need to notice any real difference that it makes no odds which one you chose. They are all blisteringly fast. So to me, the differentiator becomes the look and feel of the device. I want something that feels every bit like the £500 it will cost. Something which doesn't feel inferior when used alongside my iPad Mini (Which is a terribly flawed device but feels so excellently crafted I can pretty much forgive it everything).

The HTC One seems to offer exactly this - the latest tech rolled into a clearly premium package. It has its flaws - the stupid 2 button layout and the ridiculous stereo speakers (Why does anyone even want speakers on a device like this which is almost exclusively used with headphones? I only hope the high price tag puts it out of reach of the sort of moron who thinks the entire train coach needs to hear his taste in music) - but then so does every handset. Has there ever been a perfect phone?

However it seems obvious to me that the Samsung Galaxy S4 will once again be the Android posterboy and I'm really not sure I understand why. I've used every single Galaxy phone so far and they all seem to have the same theme -the latest tech spec wrapped up in a cheap, nasty, plastic package. Just what is all the fuss about? It's a £600 handset that feels no better to hold than a £250 Nexus 4 yet still people fawn over it as if its some sort of mobile phone revolution. It's not, its pretty much the same phone we had last year but with minor tech improvements and the same crappy plastic finish. I've yet to hold one but the S3 felt like a piece of junk in your hand so I can't see why the S4 would be any different.

At least HTC have genuinely tried to do something different with the look and feel of the One and its for this reason I feel they are deserving of my money despite the fact they'll almost certainly lose yet another round to Samsung with its 'utterly generic' product strategy. You'd think the market would reward a product with iPhone style design quality combined with Android-style flexibility and performance, but I guess that'll never satisfy the Samsung fans.

So - when can I actually buy one? Nobody would sell me a SIM free handset this weekend. Carphone Warehouse had stock but refused to sell me a device SIM free because they'd rather sell it on contract. I don't want a contract as it seems a more expensive way of getting it and everyone has banned tethering anyway which is a massive inconvenience to me. In the end not a bad thing as I reckon I really want a black one instead.

Any ideas on SIM free availability for the black device?

Associate
[TW]Fox;24120840 said:
..... everyone has banned tethering anyway which is a massive inconvenience to me. .....

I believe EE allow tethering on their 4G plans.

This, from their website:

"All our 4GEE Phone plans are 24 months and include WiFi (through BT Wi-fi Hotspots and WiFi on the London Underground, provided by Virgin Media) and tethering."

Associate
[TW]Fox;24120840 said:
It has its flaws - the stupid 2 button layout and the ridiculous stereo speakers (Why does anyone even want speakers on a device like this which is almost exclusively used with headphones? I only hope the high price tag puts it out of reach of the sort of moron who thinks the entire train coach needs to hear his taste in music) - but then so does every handset.

I really don't understand your logic here regarding the speakers, are you saying you'd rather have very loud mono, tinny rear facing rubbishy speakers on phones then?

Decry the antisocial ****tards who use phone speakers on public transport, not HTC for making a great sounding phone.

I used the speakers at home while painting this weekend and listened to a whole album at highest volume, they fill the space incredibly well and sound incredibly impressive and clear for their size.

How is that a bad thing? :confused:

EDIT:
In fairness you are decrying the antisocial person equally to the phone. Still think a nice sounding phone is a win for a variety of applications.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24120840 said:
I agree.

We've reached a point where the technical capability of all high end Android phones is so far beyond what you actually need to notice any real difference that it makes no odds which one you chose. They are all blisteringly fast. So to me, the differentiator becomes the look and feel of the device. I want something that feels every bit like the £500 it will cost. Something which doesn't feel inferior when used alongside my iPad Mini (Which is a terribly flawed device but feels so excellently crafted I can pretty much forgive it everything).

The HTC One seems to offer exactly this - the latest tech rolled into a clearly premium package. It has its flaws - the stupid 2 button layout and the ridiculous stereo speakers (Why does anyone even want speakers on a device like this which is almost exclusively used with headphones? I only hope the high price tag puts it out of reach of the sort of moron who thinks the entire train coach needs to hear his taste in music) - but then so does every handset. Has there ever been a perfect phone?

However it seems obvious to me that the Samsung Galaxy S4 will once again be the Android posterboy and I'm really not sure I understand why. I've used every single Galaxy phone so far and they all seem to have the same theme -the latest tech spec wrapped up in a cheap, nasty, plastic package. Just what is all the fuss about? It's a £600 handset that feels no better to hold than a £250 Nexus 4 yet still people fawn over it as if its some sort of mobile phone revolution. It's not, its pretty much the same phone we had last year but with minor tech improvements and the same crappy plastic finish. I've yet to hold one but the S3 felt like a piece of junk in your hand so I can't see why the S4 would be any different.

At least HTC have genuinely tried to do something different with the look and feel of the One and its for this reason I feel they are deserving of my money despite the fact they'll almost certainly lose yet another round to Samsung with its 'utterly generic' product strategy. You'd think the market would reward a product with iPhone style design quality combined with Android-style flexibility and performance, but I guess that'll never satisfy the Samsung fans.

So - when can I actually buy one? Nobody would sell me a SIM free handset this weekend. Carphone Warehouse had stock but refused to sell me a device SIM free because they'd rather sell it on contract. I don't want a contract as it seems a more expensive way of getting it and everyone has banned tethering anyway which is a massive inconvenience to me. In the end not a bad thing as I reckon I really want a black one instead.

Very well summed up and pretty much how I feel about the One.

P4U will have stock available for the black model for delivery on the 23/04 but be careful as it is a fingerprint magnet! :eek:

Other retailers such as Clove will have stock in early May for the black HO.

Once HTC get their supply and manufacturing issues sorted out I truly believe that this phone will give the S4 a good fight. This is HTC's best chance to stick it to Samsung as they haven't had a competitive phone for ages to go against the Galaxy range.

Man of Honour
Very well summed up and pretty much how I feel about the One.

P4U will have stock available for the black model for delivery on the 23/04 but be careful as it is a fingerprint magnet! :eek:

I want to try and avoid P4U if possible, its like a used car salesman training ground cheesefest in there with the rows of desks and corny 'Wow, the guy next to you will be so jealous' sales closure lines.

Much prefer CPW where they don't seem to be at all like that. Plus I had a few early teething troubles with Sensation's and CPW just swapped them no questions asked. I somewhat doubt it would be so simple at P4U.

Soldato
I really don't understand your logic here regarding the speakers, are you saying you'd rather have very loud mono, tinny rear facing rubbishy speakers on phones then?

Decry the antisocial ****tards who use phone speakers on public transport, not HTC for making a great sounding phone.

I used the speakers at home while painting this weekend and listened to a whole album at highest volume, they fill the space incredibly well and sound incredibly impressive and clear for their size.

How is that a bad thing? :confused:

EDIT:
In fairness you are decrying the antisocial person equally to the phone. Still think a nice sounding phone is a win for a variety of applications.

I guess he means (and if he does, I agree) that HTC have made design compromises to have these speakers such as the grills etc which whilst not necessarily being a bad thing is a concession to a design feature I would also never, ever use. I looked at that feature and immediately dismissed it, when I'm at home and want to use my phone for music I use a speaker like an xmini because whatever they do to the phone it still couldn't compete with that, when I'm in public it's headphones. It renders the speakers useless for anything other than a ringtone to me.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;24120840 said:
I agree.

Why is the mini flawed? The only thing I find remotely flawed is the OS, or more precisely the iTunes obsession. The screen could be higher resolution but that's nitpicking!

As for the two external flaws on the One, they are both awesome features (not having owned an android before the only issue with that is the home button not being in the centre...) Personally the to biggest hardware (not OS flaws, that would be a page in itself -for example listening to music on the train in this morning and it kept pausing every few minutes, completely at random... Had to press play each time) flaws for me are (in importance);

a lack of hardware camera button
The volume keys being on the wrong side - have the phone in your pocket facing inwards and your thumb is the wrong side if you're right handed.
The power button being at the top rather than the side, small point here but useful to turn the screen on and off when put in your pocket.

Man of Honour
The mini is flawed because of its inflexible and rubbish operating system, its low screen resolution and its lack of power, there are some video files it struggles with. But I still love it.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24120840 said:

I was phoning around for a SIM free silver one and no one would sell one. Pay as you go was no problem though, seems they didn't like the term SIM free. I ended up with two o2 Ones on p&g with giffgaff Sims in them.

Associate
I looked at that feature and immediately dismissed it, when I'm at home and want to use my phone for music I use a speaker like an xmini because whatever they do to the phone it still couldn't compete with that, when I'm in public it's headphones. It renders the speakers useless for anything other than a ringtone to me.

I take it you've not heard them then?

Let's say hypothetically that the speakers on the phone sound comparable to your xmini. Now lets imagine that not everyone has an xmini either. Would having high quality speakers for those people be not be a good thing?

I can tell you that the speakers on this phone are a paradigm shift in the right direction from any other phone I've ever heard. They do certainly push up against and possibly even exceed the quality seen from small peripheral external speakers. That is resoundingly a good thing.

And, for those like you who do have things like an xmini, don't tell me you actually like having to carry about/fiddle around with them? The fact that you've gone to the trouble of getting them and they sell in abundance means there is a strong usage case for good quality speakers on phone. Boomsound is a dumb name but the form and function are really great here.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Cannot wait to get mine. Had a play with one for a few hours yesterday and I am mega impressed. I listen to podcasts all the time on my phone using the speaker so the shift in quality will be appreciated.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24121146 said:
I want to try and avoid P4U if possible, its like a used car salesman training ground cheesefest in there with the rows of desks and corny 'Wow, the guy next to you will be so jealous' sales closure lines.

Much prefer CPW where they don't seem to be at all like that. Plus I had a few early teething troubles with Sensation's and CPW just swapped them no questions asked. I somewhat doubt it would be so simple at P4U.

I thought exactly the same but I bought the HO online and they were brilliant, delivered the next day.

When I ran into troubles with the HO, they were very good once again and offered an exchange or refund. I opted for the refund and they paid the money back into my account pronto.

I hate going into brick and mortar P4U stores but their web store is excellent. If you don't want to wait around for the black HO, buy it from them if you want, CPW won't have the black HO for ages.

Soldato

Thank God to that then. Maybe the new batches will be better in terms of build quality. I shall be watching with extreme interest.

Cheers Nexus! :)

Replying to your previous post:

Yup, it is kind of false advertising really.

Unfortunately the term "zero gap" is doing more damage than good now due to people interpreting it wrongly and thinking that there should be no gaps at all anywhere (which is impossible to achieve!), I think if HTC didn't mention about that zero gap thing, people wouldn't be complaining about the gap at the top.

I can see where you are coming from and would think the same in some ways, unfortunately (IMO), there is no other current gen phone that can compete with the one i.e. the speakers, design/perceived quality, sense and the camera overall (which will get even better with software updates). Only phones left for this year that could surpass it by a decent margin imo, are the X and nexus 5 (not getting my hopes up regarding the camera area given motorola and google's track record in this department though!)

Happy with my one S for the time being anyway and once it gets sense V5, it should keep me more than happy for a bit longer!

Next to the S4 the HTC One IMO positively shines, the look of the phone, the speakers, everything about it screams quality. That's why I keep coming back to the phone and am not willing to give up on it just yet. I spoke out of frustration the other day as I so want the HO to do well and it deserves kudos. If only they didn't advertise it as zero gap tech then I wouldn't have bothered with the gap on the top of the phone but coming from my previous HO which had a very slight gap to my second replacement, the gap was quite literally like night and day and I was extremely disappointed.

I'm going to wait for the bottleneck in supplies to loosen up and fingers crossed the new batches will be better built. Here's hoping! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom