Microserver OS

Associate
Not sure if it should go here or software

but essentially i'm looking at getting a HP Proliant Microserver and was wondering which OS would be best

I'd want it mainly for
- sharing files across network/media center
- bittorrent downloading
- web server
- and any other servers required like (for sake of example, say ts3, old cod)

would just be upgrading RAM to 8gb and 2x 2TB drives in RAID1 if that makes any difference

Which os would be best for this?

Soldato
Again both good, you could also try ESXi and have both running as virtual machines to see which one you prefer.

I tried whs with my n40l but with the applications I wanted to run it was just easier running windows 7 as you have to go about adding certain services in a specific way to get them to run on whs which I just could not be bothered with :)

Last edited:
Associate
There's 3 paths really:

Windows - 7 / WHS 2011 or Server 2008/2012

open source/Linux - Ubuntu server or many other types including FreeBSD(Freenas/Nas4free) Openfiler etc

Virtual - vmware, virtual box or Windows hypervisor then run whatever VMs you want

All will have packages for all what you need but some are more difficult to use than other so it depends what your comfortable with.

Personally I've been using Nas4Free bare running off a USB on my Microserver and its been rock solid. It has a whole bunch of built in tools like itunes/DAAP server, webserver, torrent client etc. I'm in the process on changing to the vmware route just do I can play around with other stuff though.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Freenas will be fine for all of those with the exception of game servers, and running a Web server will require some command line work but if you aren't afraid to tinker a little then it's very good.

I run freenas on my server at the moment which serves a mysql server for xbmc databases, couch potato, sickbeard and sabnzb

Soldato
I think the key is going to be if you want to run game servers on it. I would suggest you think about Windows 8. I know not everybody's favourite, but it runs great on a microserver as it is Microsoft's leanest and meanest OS for a while.

CD

Man of Honour
Gameservers may be fine it's just not something I've looked into. If a freebsd port for the game is available then it's possible. But for everything else you want nothing come close.

aln

aln

Associate
Not sure if it should go here or software

but essentially i'm looking at getting a HP Proliant Microserver and was wondering which OS would be best

I'd want it mainly for
- sharing files across network/media center
- bittorrent downloading
- web server
- and any other servers required like (for sake of example, say ts3, old cod)

would just be upgrading RAM to 8gb and 2x 2TB drives in RAID1 if that makes any difference

Which os would be best for this?

I run debian + zfsonlinux. Don't get any of the jitter problems associated with freebsd (and zfs), or ubuntu when I tried it. No facny GUI for you, but it's not exactly hard to find and install with aptitude. You could install a GUI, but that's a stupid idea for a server. :)

VMs aren't a great idea. The performance sucks. Particularly the io, which will have your bt client sitting on wait.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry to hijack the thread a bit but I'm in a similar situation to the OP. I was leaning towards WHS2011 but again I see people suggesting just using Win7/8. Given that WHS is a fair bit cheaper than Win 7 what exactly can't it do that Win 7 can?

Thanks,

Ross

Soldato
Windows Home Server has been discontinued, but it is well loved. It is a great option for many people as it can cope well with everything from file shares, to game servers. I don't know if some game servers might dislike WHS but 2011 is Win7 based so you should be good.

Associate
Windows Home Server has been discontinued, but it is well loved. It is a great option for many people as it can cope well with everything from file shares, to game servers. I don't know if some game servers might dislike WHS but 2011 is Win7 based so you should be good.

WHS 2011 is still available, I think until the end of the year.

Also I believe it is based Windows Server 2008.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom