Engineering Project Management Qualifications

Soldato
Afternoon guys,

I work for an Engineering company as a Production Control Manager, in charge of planning engineers and the management of projects etc. I have built up to this role just through working here and have no formal training.

My work have agreed to pay for me to be trained and to gain a suitable project management qualification, and have asked me to research and put forward ideas as to which would be the best.

The one that immediately sprang to mind is a Prince2. Research shows there are a couple of others to consider too: APMP and PMP....does anyone here have any experience of any of these courses, or perhaps others? Ideally looking for people that work in the engineering industry.

To give you an idea of our company: We are a sub contract machine and fabrication engineers, no internal design team but do manage projects...we are heavy engineers with a bias towards precision industries like Nuclear, Defense, Power Generation, Oil and Sub Sea, making large parts to tight tolerances with strict material controls etc.

Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks,

Tom.

Associate
All I know about these qualifications is based upon what I've done as Advantage modules to add to my Mech Eng degree, Prince2 seems to be the predominate qualification out there for project management, my father is a Consultant with regards to civil engineering and like yourself has built up his skill base from working and he has said that Prince2 seems to be the most popular, if that is any help?

Associate
I'm about to go on the APMP course, which sits at Level 4 on the IPMA scale. So far I've only done the pre-work, and will be able to tell you a bit more next week after doing the course. It looks to cover a wide variety of topics though, with some specific theories touched on. How this compares to Prince I'm not sure, but I imagine it depends on how you want to apply the knowledge as to how useful it is.

If your already involved in project management, it could be some of it is quite familiar and other bits involve a bit of change to your current way of working.

Soldato
OP
I'm about to go on the APMP course, which sits at Level 4 on the IPMA scale. So far I've only done the pre-work, and will be able to tell you a bit more next week after doing the course. It looks to cover a wide variety of topics though, with some specific theories touched on. How this compares to Prince I'm not sure, but I imagine it depends on how you want to apply the knowledge as to how useful it is.

If your already involved in project management, it could be some of it is quite familiar and other bits involve a bit of change to your current way of working.

APMP looks like a very good option too, it's one of the main options im looking at, I would be interested to know how you get on :)

Associate
Do the Prince2 to look good on the CV and tick a recruiters box when applying elsewhere, particularly public sector. Many recruitment people are blind to there being any other PM qualifications of any merit.
Do APM if you want a bit more respect from people 'in the know'

Unless you are thinking of changing jobs any time soon, I would go for APM.

EDIT: I should add that if you can, do both.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've done the APMP course it was very good but our professional project manager on a current project was very sniffy, he reckoned PRINCE 2 was better. I have no baseline to make a decision. Either way well worth doing.

Soldato
The cost to put yourself through PRINCE always used to be astronomical, I don't know if that's still the case or not. Many employers will have a preference, or even their own style of PM, tailored to what they do and how they operate. The difference between which (recognised) training you have is far less important than having some training. Don't forget experience either!

Associate
Depends what you think you need to develop.

PRINCE2 is a project management methodology. It will give you a model within which you can deliver a project, but it doesn't tell you how to actually execute it or really discuss project management areas in any detail.

APMP actually gets into the details of project management, covering all aspects of it like planning, risk management, earned value etc.

Back
Top Bottom