Snapped bleed nipple

Soldato
Hi there

Ive got another little job to get off list for my BMW.

The bleed nipple on the NSF calliper has been snapped. Ive got a replacement nipple, i just need to get the dead one out.

My plan was to hammer a torx or spline bit into the bleed nipple and turn it out, maybe apply before i start.

I just wondered if anyone had any experience of getting broken nipples out? This bad boy is completely flush

Soldato
Do not use Easyouts on seized fasteners, it's a recipe for a whole world of pain when the hardened steel end snaps off within the fastener you are trying to remove.

If you can get the remnants of the fastener to move a little using heat and e.g. a punch or small cold chisel, then you can consider using one. Otherwise resign yourself to some very careful drilling, gradually increasing the bit size for each pass until you are very close to the threads, at which point you can usually remove the remains with a scriber/small screw driver. Obviously you have to be able to drill straight otherwise you ruin the threads in the caliper.

Soldato
OP
it may work. the nipple is only M7 so it wouldnt have taken much force to snap the top off, i dont imagine it is that seized

Tea Drinker
Don
I did this and the only thing that got it out was heat, brute force and ignorance. Even then stripped the thread and had to araldyte a bolt in and use a banjo nipple on the hose in.

Worked very well if a bodge

Soldato
Do not use Easyouts on seized fasteners, it's a recipe for a whole world of pain when the hardened steel end snaps off within the fastener you are trying to remove.

We use EZ outs to regularly remove seized screws and bolts at work never had one snap off. The art of it is to get the right size hole/ EZ out combination if they are snapping the EZ out is to small for the torque required.

Soldato
I very carefully drilled one out on a Lancia. They are not usually ridiculously tight and quite soft. Then I was able to just carefully scrap the thready bits out and it was unharmed.

The caliper is a lot tougher material than the bleed nipple. Not the best solution but worked with out acquiring new tools.

Soldato
OP
Going to have a crack at this tonight or tomorrow morning

I can bank on the fluid not having been changed for years. Do i have much to gain from putting normal fluid through before i flush it with something posh?

Soldato
OP
Ive been an advocate of ATE Blue for many years. I would put that in the car this weekend but the ECP price is much more than the CP4L price

therefore, ill put anything stuff in there for the short term and the ATE Blue later on.

now that the car as actual suspension it can be driven a lot harder which resulted in noticable fade the other night

Soldato
now that the car as actual suspension it can be driven a lot harder which resulted in noticable fade the other night

Then you need to look at brake pads, not the fluid. If you boil the brake fluid (very, very unusual) then you lose all the brakes rather than getting a bit of fade.

Soldato
OP
Thanks, but the brake fluid has been in the car for god only knows how long, its black and there is a snapped bleed nipple... im changing the brake fluid.

Pads are stamped ATE the the discs are BMW Evo items (ie floating discs on stilts). I expect the fluid will make a big difference but changing the pads isnt high on the list of priorities unless the fluid makes no difference at all.

Soldato
OP
Today ive been fixing beyond repair.

Super, now i need an M7 tap :D

Or another pair of callipers, which sucks given its just a bleed nipple thats failed

Back
Top Bottom