The Manly Shaving Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
i'm allergic to something in TOBS cream (Jermyn St, Coconut, Eton College), it burns my face and i get red blotches.

pick up a palmolive cream or soap stick from the supermarket and see if the problem goes.

also give cold water shaving a try, i haven't used hot water since last summer. A lot of people find they get better shaves with less irritation using cold water, me included.

+1

Forget hot water and showering before hand, it's bad for your skin. Have a cold water shave on 2 day growth :cool:
This'll enable you to differentiate between the razor cutting hair and putting too much pressure on the skin.
I'd also recommend using a pre shave oil 5 mins before while your technique improves. (Nothing to do with razor glide/slickness etc. It just helps replace the hot towel/shower softening stage without making the skin puffy, overly soft and raw) Also try face lathering!

Someone hacked my computer and bought some stuff from beautyatcreightons :mad: (they still have 30% off btw :D)

8660832886_07e21748c1_z.jpg

Not bad for £10 delivered.
The pre shave oil is much better than KoS etc and the post shave cologne is a quality alcohol free aftershave.

Wahay, just got a response from Rod. Looks like a Resin Brush and Stand will be ordered shortly.

/Jealous!

Soldato
my only face prep is splashing cold water on my face before face lathering which ever soap i'm using.

As i'm building the lather for 1-2minutes on my face, i dont find i need any other prep.

Soldato
How do you guys clean/disinfect your DE razors?

Mine's been sitting for a while and has a load of soap scum on it.

I've read tat stuff like barbicide, and dettol aren't good for carbon steel.

also how to store your razors for easy access? Can be left in a jar with some of type of cleaning fluid?

Soldato
Is anyone using that Palmolive Shaving Stick? At 50p I couldn't help trying it, but should I be lathering it up on my face or brush?

Commissario
How do you guys clean/disinfect your DE razors?
Why do you feel the need to disinfect it? Every time it's used, you cover it in soap and wash it off with hot water :)
Quick scrub with a toothbrush under running water every time I change the blade does the trick.
That's all it needs.

Is anyone using that Palmolive Shaving Stick? At 50p I couldn't help trying it, but should I be lathering it up on my face or brush?
I've tried it, I face lather with it - Wet my face and rub the stick all over to create a thin layer of soap and then work up the lather directly on my face with my brush. It works well.

Soldato
Can someone please recommend a shaving soap?

Skin isn't that sensitive, bit is a little if that makes a difference. Used to use Body Shop Maca Root shaving cream which was bloody great stuff! But I've run out :(
Had some GFTrumper Sandalwood I think it was cream before the Maca Root stuff, but wasn't all that impressed.

Also need a decent brush...

Soldato
After testing about 15 soaps, the only ones i will buy again are :-

Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF)
VITOS Super Extra Coconut (Almond Scent)
Lea Shave Stick (Lanolin, like MWF)

Soldato
I've not tried Aarans, these are the ones i've tried:-

Soap
Proraso Menthol (Green)
Proraso Green Tea & Oat (White)
Mitchell's Wool Fat
VITOS Super Extra Coconut
TOBS Jermyn Street
TOBS Sandalwood
Cella
Trumpers Coconut

Soap Sticks
Lea (Lanolin)
Tabac
Palmolive
Valobra
Speick
Boots
La Toja

Cream
TOBS Jermyn Street
TOBS Coconut
TOBS Eton College
Palmolive
Proraso Blue

- MWF, VITOS, Lea - will buy again
- Proraso Menthol, Valobra, TOBS Jermyn Street Soap, Palmolive stick - will use up

All the others i sold on.

Associate
Has anyone given the Palmolive shaving cream much of a whirl? After using one of the soap sticks and being impressed I spotted the tube of cream in Wilkinsons for £1.58 and picked it up. Will be trying it in the next day or two.

palmolive-cream.jpg

Associate
Yep. I have the shave stick. I bought it for 40p and unfortunately it has lasted forever. 6 months now and I'm probably halfway through, definitely better with a shaving brush and much better than Gillette shave foam. I like the neutral smell it has too.

Commissario
Be very very careful with the Futur, they bite badly.

I'm not talking about cutting your face, if you try to adjust it with wet hands then there's a very good chance that you'll slice parts of your fingers/thumb off. I've seen plenty of threads on B&B about the Futur and how dangerous it can be to adjust it.

I get the impression that there are two types of Futur users.

Ones who've cut themselves badly with it.

Ones who haven't cut themselves badly with it yet.

Members of the second group seem to eventually transfer their membership to the first group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom