Windows 8 Adoption Poor

Man of Honour
Well its not been a good start.

No it hasn't, but that's hardly win8 fault.
There's no decent spec tablets and even less you can actually get your hands on, let alone see them in shops.

It needed a Nokia style launch. Lots of support, great phones with new features. But we've had nothing.
It's like every oem, is blissfully unaware that desktop sales are declining and will continue to decline and instead just say its win8 fault. Tbh they all deserve to fold. So short sighted and blinded. Their traditional market is failing and they need to move with the times.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Discussing things - as opposed to your blinkered view that only has the opinion that Windows 8 is the worst thing since the Poll Tax (or insert other suitable reference here) and just doesn't work at all

Not true at all I'm afraid, I outlined the reasons I did and didn't like it in the previous thread to be followed by cries of "you're not using it right", "you haven't really tried it", "there's all these amazing new features like....um....", "it's the future, Microsoft will never give you back the start button", "it's ok, use this bit of third party software to hack out all the rubbish bits" etc. I'm not sure it was me that was blinkered.

My view is based on my experience of using it, I don't like the UI changes, as said a few posts up, it's an odd mishmash of changes that make it worse for the desktop user but I can't see it being great for the touch user either. It's trying to be one OS for every task but I'm not sure that is achievable.

I've upgraded through each new version of windows until now and been impressed overall. I have no objection to a new UI at all, provided it is better, cleaner and more intuitive. I find Win 8 clumsy, cluttered and unnecessarily fragmented.

The underlying OS is sound, because its essentially the same as Windows 7, at least for my uses it is. This is why its frustrating, it forces you to learn its foibles without any real benefit.

Last edited:
Soldato
it seems the people who are complaining because no start button maybe getting they way. it seem Microsoft are thinking about bring it back maybe as a option for desktop users..

but I know one thing if Microsoft brings the start button back as default for desktops and only has metro for mobile devices/touch devices, i'll be so ****** off.

Last edited:
Soldato
No it hasn't, but that's hardly win8 fault.
There's no decent spec tablets and even less you can actually get your hands on, let alone see them in shops.

It needed a Nokia style launch. Lots of support, great phones with new features. But we've had nothing.
It's like every oem, is blissfully unaware that desktop sales are declining and will continue to decline and instead just say its win8 fault. Tbh they all deserve to fold. So short sighted and blinded. Their traditional market is failing and they need to move with the times.

They need to do what Google do with the nexus range and sell at cost

Caporegime
but I know one thing if Microsoft brings the start button back as default for desktops and only has metro for mobile devices/touch devices, i'll be so ****** off.

Why? No one else is trying to make a single OS fit very different devices. Does the software on your pc need to be the same as in your car or on your toaster too?

The desktop PC market is going to slowly for out, and Microsoft need to find new markets but I don't think they need to force one UI onto devices you interact with differently.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

As it weakens MS position and future success. It needs to break away from the past and carry on like they are doing, that's where the future market is. If its just a button to metro then it's not a big deal, but if its a normal start button it is. You have the potential of far more people bypassing metro due to unfounded bias and destroying the platform and MS' future.
Before people make comments they really should go look at the stats and trends. It's not looking good for Ms in the medium term. They have to go ahead with a united OS and ecosystem.

Man of Honour
Why? No one else is trying to make a single OS fit very different devices.

They are all diverging to single os just at different rates. However Ms is on the back foot, they don't have the marketshare or the ecosystem established, which makes it harder.
Single os is the future and apple and android are heading in that direction. MS is just the first to do a half decent job, it's not there yet.

Soldato
My view is based on my experience of using it, I don't like the UI changes, as said a few posts up, it's an odd mishmash of changes that make it worse for the desktop user but I can't see it being great for the touch user either. It's trying to be one OS for every task but I'm not sure that is achievable.

Again, I disagree that it's worse for desktop users. Being one of them, I've no problems at all using the machine as a desktop PC. There again, even after 20 years of supporting and using Microsoft software, I'm still open to new ideas and ways of doing things.

As mentioned, if my 70 year old technophobic mother can get used to it, it really can't be as god awful as you keep alluding to.

Man of Honour
It's a huge step forward in so many ways, it's far easier to set up, install, find software. Everything is easier due to one place to get software, one UI for all apps.
It is fantastic for this, no it's not as polished, the 8.1 leaks polish it substantially.

My mum for a start can now use the computer and install stuff without my help.

It is far better for media consumption. I have it on desktop and laptop and I absolutely hate going back to w7 when my SSD failed.

Youtube, twitter, netflix. News, E-mail, etc is al far better experience in metro.
Browsing, games, office stuff is still better in desktop and will be a long while before that changes (other than browsing which depends on form factor which is better) .

It also has great benefits for coporations with proper support for BYOD and the company app thing, especially in wp8.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Does everyone want a PC that their Muns can use though? I know I don't. I don't need oversized buttons, app stores, gem bars etc. Just like I wouldn't buy the same phone as my Mum.

Man of Honour
Does everyone want a PC that their Muns can use though? I know I don't. I don't need oversized buttons, app stores, gem bars etc. Just like I wouldn't buy the same phone as my Mum.

Yes, as I said I use it for half my tasks. As it is a far better environment for that stuff.
Games simply aren't destined for it yet, but they would work just fine in metro and no need for a desktop version.

We browser depends on formfactor, desktop ie10 is far better with mouse and keyboard, but pretty rubbish with touchscreen.

That leaves office stuff which will take time to get the software moved over and for some metro improvments to be out in.

Why won't you use an App Store? Scared you'll like it.
Tell me which is better netflix app or netflix website?
Audible app or audible desktop download?
Kindle desktop or kindle app?
So on and so forth for pretty much every single media consumption, the apps win 9.9 out of 10 times. And they're even free,

Soldato
http://www.geekosystem.com/rumor-mill-windows-8-might-be-dropping-windows-8/

Before you get too excited, let me reiterate that this is almost pure rumor at this point, and even if it’s true right now, it could change before the next version is released, but Microsoft is reportedly planning on dropping the “metro” design and bringing back the “Start” button for “Windows Blue,” as in Windows 8.1. Please let this be true.

if that really happens i won't upgrade. also MS would be be crazy to do so

Caporegime
two months ago you were calling it utter gash. What's changed then?

Nothing's changed, I've used it, found it pointless and stopped using it, still need to uninstall it but haven't had the time to do it. The fact that Microsoft looks to be making the changes suggested seems to show I'm not alone in my dislike for their UI.

Associate
Not needed for whom? Desktop users, perhaps.

But we can't ignore the huge and rapidly expanding market for mobile devices with touch as a primary input. Windows 8 is absolutely needed for these devices.

I do agree with you but it shows what a mess Microsoft is in.

Microsoft have tried "forcing" its existing massive installed base (Windows XP to 7) onto a UI they don't want (Windows 8) in order to hope they'll buy a (Microsoft taking years to catch up) Windows tablet/phone/overly expensive hybrid/ultrabook and give Microsoft relevance in this Post-PC (I really hate that Apple-coined phrase...) world they so severely need.

Desktop users don't want a made-for-touch UI. They just want refinement of the existing Windows experience.

Tablet/Phone users don't seem to want anything that has the word "Windows" on the box. People here need to remember the Windows we use (from a fresh install) is sadly far removed from the OEM ****-fest most people have put up with for the last two decades.

Since they are so late to the party I doubt even if they dropped the Windows branding and made a super-duper tablet OS people would care.

Man of Honour
That's not going to happen, someone's got the wrong end of the stick, they could kiss good buy to their ecosystem and their future.

Back
Top Bottom