PS4 and Xbox Rumours

Soldato
It's a console reveal they will probably speak about everything it is capable of doing. Still not sure why people think a console doing tv, social media and others detracts from the gaming side though.

It's the games that matter most. The extra features are great, but as said above, it seems like they're leaving the games for E3.

I for one hope it has Freeview HD record capability like Sony's Play TV should.

There's no money for MS there though, their focus will be on the online services. Plus I don't particularly want to pay for a Freeview tuner I'm never going to use.

Caporegime
I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4 isn't ready by E3 and they reveal it at Tokyo Game Show. Show the home nation some love! But then again, it seems the Japanese have had very little say in development of PS4.

Soldato
No they said the showcase of software and features would continue at E3, not that the reveal would show nothing.

That's not the impression I got, but we'll see.

"On that day, we'll share our vision for Xbox, and give you a real taste of the future. Then, 19-days later at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in Los Angeles, we'll continue the conversation and showcase our full lineup of blockbuster games."

Soldato
I just want the silly and rather frustrating ban on 3rd party wheels to be removed. Its the only reason I didn't buy a 360. I can't go back to a pad for driving games, yea rather snobbish:D. So plz ms stop being a rooster:p

Caporegime

you do know these consoles are sold at a huge loss? therefore adding stuff that isn't needed would be retarded of them.

sony may release it as an add on, but tbh i dont really care now because my new tv has a build in HD tuner and it can record via usb, obviously the play tv setup is a lot nicer, so i may buy it depending on price, but if its above £50 no chance.

Soldato

Never going to happen.

As with the next generation it will focus a lot more on downloadable content, where they can sell you episodes of tv shows and films.

Allowing you to record your owns will take away some of their sales, also adds lots to the cost.

Caporegime
So....

New rumors have provided additional details regarding alleged functionality in Microsoft’s next Xbox. An in-depth report from veteran tech blogger Paul Thurrott on Windows IT Pro elaborates on several topics Thurrott covered earlier this month including the next Xbox’s pricing, release date, operating system and more.

Entertainment-Only Model

According to Thurrott, previous rumors that there will be two versions of the next Xbox are no longer accurate. He notes that Microsoft “originally planned to offer both a ‘full’ version of the next Xbox (with video game playing capabilities) and a lower-end entertainment-oriented version, code-named ‘Yuma,’ that didn't provide gaming capabilities.” However, “plans for Yuma are on hold, and no pure entertainment version of the next Xbox will appear in 2013 (or possibly ever).”

Always Online

Thurrott notes that the rumored “always online” functionality of the next Xbox is correct. He notes that “the next Xbox must be Internet-connected to use. This is the source of the ‘always on’/’always online’ rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.”
Pricing, Release Date and Backwards Compatibility
Following up on his report earlier this month, Thurrott reiterated that “Microsoft will initially offer two pricing models for the console: a standalone version for $499 and a $299 version that requires a two-year Xbox LIVE Gold commitment at an expected price of $10 per month.” He also reports that the system “will launch in early November 2013.”

In terms of backwards compatibility, he once again noted that he believes Microsoft will “also deliver a third-generation Xbox 360 console this year that will be significantly less expensive than the current models.” The system is codenamed “Stingray” and Thurrott says “it’s not clear whether this device is required because the next Xbox isn’t backward-compatible or because Microsoft simply wants a low-cost entertainment box alternative.” As a third possibility, he also notes that since the Xbox 360 is still selling well, Microsoft may simply want a low-cost option since the system has become significantly cheaper to manufacture compared to its launch in 2005.

Windows 8 and Blu-Ray

Building on rumors that Windows 8 could power the next Xbox, Thurrott writes that the system is “based on the ‘Core’ (base) version of Windows 8. This suggests a common apps platform or at least one that is similar to that used by Windows 8.” He also believes that Microsoft “could open up this platform to enthusiast developers” and reports that the company “will discuss the next Xbox developer platform at the Build conference in San Francisco in late June.” The Build conference is also where Microsoft is expected to unveil Windows 8.1.

Thurrott also confirmed previous rumors that the next Xbox will include a Blu-Ray optical drive.

The Console’s Name

Thurrott added that the name of the console “is a big area of speculation” and that “while I’ve heard nothing official, I’d be surprised if Microsoft didn’t just called it Xbox.” The next Xbox is commonly referred to as Durango, though previous rumors also suggested it was codenamed Loop or Kryptos and could be called Xbox 8. As for the console’s final name, we agree with Thurrott.

The Full Reveal

As Microsoft confirmed yesterday, the next Xbox will be revealed on May 21st from Redmond, WA. Thurrott referred to previous reports that indicated the reveal would come in April instead, saying “the initial reveal date was pushed back from April 24 to May 21 so that Microsoft could better position the device against the PlayStation 4, which Sony announced in late February.”
He notes that beyond the initial announcement on May 21st, Microsoft “will fully reveal details about the next Xbox, including the launch lineup of games” at its E3 press conference on June 10th. Previous rumors suggested that the launch line-up for the next Xbox includes Ryse, a new Forza, a family game and a zombie game.

Back
Top Bottom