Coffee

Soldato
Unsure where to put this, my sister has got a coffee machine, not a great one or anything too expensive but it's a good change over using instant and a kettle.

This: Gaggia Espresso Cubika Plus RI8151/60 Coffee Machine

I was wondering if getting a coffee grinder/mill would be worth getting or a waste.

Also, can anyone recommend any beans/ground coffee that is nice.

Man of Honour
Coffee pods are easier (& quicker) than ground coffee..

thats correct, they are much quicker, easier, more wasteful, more expensive and much lower quality.

Theres a huge ass coffee thread in the Cuisine forum here, but basically yes, getting good coffee (hasbean.co.uk is a good place to start) and a grinder - which isn't cheap for a good one will totally revolutionise your coffee.

Buy a hand grinder for about £40 - the Haro Skerton is a good bet or around £100 for a decent electric grinder.

Imy

Imy

Soldato
If you're an occasional drinker, I'd get a Nespresso machine. A lot of people like the quality and it's a lot less hassle to prepare, especially when getting ready for work.

If you drink it every day then I'd go grinder + espresso machine as it'll work out a fair bit cheaper in the long run.

Don
thats correct, they are much quicker, easier, more wasteful, more expensive and much lower quality.

Theres a huge ass coffee thread in the Cuisine forum here, but basically yes, getting good coffee (hasbean.co.uk is a good place to start) and a grinder - which isn't cheap for a good one will totally revolutionise your coffee.

Buy a hand grinder for about £40 - the Haro Skerton is a good bet or around £100 for a decent electric grinder.

You are quite right that there is a big difference between beans and pods, however 95% of the people with a coffee machine will use the pods and never use a grinder - potentially wasted money by buying one!

Man of Honour
If you're an occasional drinker, I'd get a Nespresso machine. A lot of people like the quality and it's a lot less hassle to prepare, especially when getting ready for work.

If you drink it every day then I'd go grinder + espresso machine as it'll work out a fair bit cheaper in the long run.

in some respects i agree, but a filter brewer (ie the 'clever coffee dripper') or even a cafeteria with a hand grinder and decent coffee stored in the freezer (a little controversial) can be much nicer and almost as easy as nespresso if you don't need espresso...

Soldato
OP
So I could use coffee beans and a grinder with just hot water and milk without needing to use the machine?

At the moment we use ground coffee that is bought from a store but I though it may be worth getting a grinder and some beans as I've heard it makes a difference?

If so, what coffee is nice and what grinder is good.

Caporegime
So grind, put in the machine and make the espresso, then add milk/water to make the different types of coffee?

Nespresso machines can only use "pods", you buy pods to make coffee.

With a grinder and espresso machine you buy coffee beans.

Nespresso machines is neater, less mess, quicker and convenient. However running cost are higher and you can only buy the flavours nespresso makes. But I think you can make your own pods with some gadget...which for me, defeat the point of the point of this in the first place.

Grinder and espresso machine you grind coffee beans as and when you make a coffee. Each cup will be freshly ground coffee, not something grounded weeks if not months ago then vacuum packed. You can buy any coffee beans you like. When you read about those coffee beans that some animal (kopi luwak) crapped out and cost a fortune, you can try these if you are so inclined. The world is your oyster when it comes to choice and not limited by the manufacturer. Down side is there is a little more prep work but I think it's worth it.

Once you have the shot of espresso, it's your base for all your coffee.

Americano - add hot water
Latte - add froth milk
Capprucinno - add froth and frothed milk but 1/3 of each
Mocha - like a latter but with cocoa powder
Etc

Soldato
OP
Nespresso machines can only use "pods", you buy pods to make coffee.

With a grinder and espresso machine you buy coffee beans.

Nespresso machines is neater, less mess, quicker and convenient. However running cost are higher and you can only buy the flavours nespresso makes. But I think you can make your own pods with some gadget...which for me, defeat the point of the point of this in the first place.

Grinder and espresso machine you grind coffee beans as and when you make a coffee. Each cup will be freshly ground coffee, not something grounded weeks if not months ago then vacuum packed. You can buy any coffee beans you like. When you read about those coffee beans that some animal (kopi luwak) crapped out and cost a fortune, you can try these if you are so inclined. The world is your oyster when it comes to choice and not limited by the manufacturer. Down side is there is a little more prep work but I think it's worth it.

So with the above machine I mentioned my sister has, we currently use pre-ground coffee in it. I'm correct in thinking I can get a hand grinder and some beans and grind them as I want a coffee instead of buying pre-ground?

Caporegime
So with the above machine I mentioned my sister has, we currently use pre-ground coffee in it. I'm correct in thinking I can get a hand grinder and some beans and grind them as I want a coffee instead of buying pre-ground?

Yup, make sure it's a burr grinder, not a blade, it's to do with how a bean is broken down. Burr is more even and thus better flavours.

Back
Top Bottom