AMD 13.4 Catalyst drivers breaks monitor sleep?

Associate
Guys,

I upgraded from 13.1 to 13.4 AMD Catalyst drivers and now I can't resume from sleep anymore. I get a black screen or a monitor that doesn't come on at all. The AMD website does state the following known issue.

A black screen may be observed when resuming from a S3/S4 sleep state if the display is unplugged during the sleep state on systems supported AMD PowerXpress (Enduro) Technology

Taken from: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-4WINReleaseNotes.aspx

It's very annoying to be able to not avail the performance benefits of 13.4 due to this sleep issue. I don't really want to downgrade. Anyone else getting this issue or know any workaround?

I have 2x7970GHz MSI cards and an Asus PB278Q connected via a minidisplay port adapter to one of the cards.

Thanks.

Edit: I filled in a feedback form reporting the issue to AMD below. If you have it too you should do the same.
http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D20B2F3EDF

Last edited:
Associate
Curiously, this bug was also in the 13.2 betas, although it appeared at random nd was very rare. However I got it constantly on 13.5 betas and 13.4, however the 13.4 mobility drivers aren't doing it - which is odd but I'm not complaining!

Regardless, the 13.4 cap profiles aren't included in the drivers so you can at least safely install them and get some gains at the very least.

Associate
OP
I downgraded to next oldest driver 12.11 + 13.4CAP1 as recommended. Is that combination okay? I don't know if 13.4CAP1 requires 13.4 drivers or not but it didn't complain during installation so I'm guessing it's okay. Will wait for next version to upgrade again.

Soldato
Just so you are aware I experience the same issue on 13.4 via my amp but pressing Windows + P then Enter resumes the display. Very annoying and unnecessary but it means not having to restart your PC. Unfortunately all 13.2 + drivers I believe have had HDMI issues. Either no audio on reboot/resume or no picture and audio with the latest batch.

Associate
OP
Just so you are aware I experience the same issue on 13.4 via my amp but pressing Windows + P then Enter resumes the display. Very annoying and unnecessary but it means not having to restart your PC. Unfortunately all 13.2 + drivers I believe have had HDMI issues. Either no audio on reboot/resume or no picture and audio with the latest batch.

Okay thanks for the feedback - interesting that you found a workaround. I just downgraded. Couldn't be bothered with this fundamental error. Btw I didn't have to restart my pc to get it to work - I simply had to turn off and on my monitor.

Associate
Can report that this is still happening with the Catalyst 13.6 Beta2 drivers. For anyone with the issue, it might be worthwhile to report it as a bug to AMD through the Catalyst site.

Associate
OP
Can report that this is still happening with the Catalyst 13.6 Beta2 drivers. For anyone with the issue, it might be worthwhile to report it as a bug to AMD through the Catalyst site.

I'm so appalled that I'm lost for words. I spent a fortune on amd cards and in return I get drivers so immature that I can't even *&^%ing turn my screen on. Wtf AMD. WTF.

Associate
AMD Support just replied to me, seems that they are aware of the issue and it is being "looked into". Just a matter of time now, I guess...

Thank you for contacting AMD

I understand that you are experiencing an issue with sleep states. When users try to wake the displays the monitors will not wake. If I have missed any critical information please let me know as my suggestions may change.

Yes this issue has been noted and is currently being looked into. Unfortunately I do not know when this will be fixed hopefully soon. I would suggest checking back every so often to see if a new Beta release is posted and check the release notes to see if it has resolved the issue.

Please be aware that if we do not hear back from you, we will assume that the issue has been resolved and the service request will be permanently closed after 10 days. If more time is needed to evaluate my suggestion please let me know and I will ensure this service request remains open for you.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Soldato
This is ongoing for almost a year now with different drivers. They don't know how to fix it 100% luckily on the latest BETA's it works 8/10. Sometimes if i'm playing music in WMP I get the odd sound dropout and have to turn the amp off/on to stop it. Better than before though as it happened every time.

Associate
Anyone tried 13.9? Does it fix the issue? I have 2x7970 connected using mini display port adapters.

I'm on the 13.11 Betas now and I've disabled ULPS via MSI Afterburner - (it is recommended when running crossfire).

Problem seems to have gone away for me :) can leave monitors to go to sleep now and come back couple of hours later and it all wakes up properly :)

Back
Top Bottom