Which US hire car?

Soldato
Hi there,

Ok, this is the one which ends all similarly titled threads, because I have the definitive answer. I have hired a 2010 Mustang soft-top and a 2012 Mustang GT Coupe - both of these really aren't it. V8 boats are fun, but belong on the Riviera.

I've spent a week driving a different car over in California, which I would be more than happy to buy in the UK - it is phenomenal. There is no reason not to hire one of these if you get the opportunity. Too expensive? Steal. It's worth a custodial sentence.

Anyway, the car I've rented is a 2013 C6 Chevrolet Corvette. Specs are:

- LS3 6.2l V8
- 430hp @ 6,500rpm
- 428lb/ft @ 6,500rpm
- 0-60mph in 4.0s
- Top speed of 190mph+

There won't be anyone here who wouldn't consider the performance blisteringly quick. Whatever you drive, this thing is exceptional in a straight line. The gearing of the 6 speed auto is long, but the relentless torque throughout the rev range just means that it never fails to surprise. It's a great box too - I've been sold on auto/semi-auto for a while. This is slushy around town - just as you'd want it, but is malleable (especially with the paddles) in the twisties.

...and it's the twisties where you get the biggest surprise. The C6 is a light car - against all odds. It's got a lot against it - it's American, it's convertible, it has a 6.2l v8, instead of door handles it has buttons which trigger electric motors to open the doors. However - it's also made of GRP, there is no fancy 200kg steel folding roof (in fact the roof is entirely manual), it's small (it doesn't feel much bigger than an S2000), no pop-up rollover hoops, sound deadening is kept to a minimum. This lightness, and ridiculous power just makes it a recipe for fun. The handling is sublime, and the brakes don't cook after a handful of hairpin bends. I am totally sold.

Finally comes the coup de grâce - the way it looks. It attracts so much positive attention here, everyone loves it. Of course, the main thing is that it looks good in your holiday photos.

Enjoy. I want to take it home with me.

IMG_2594_zps81ffb3a6.jpg

IMG_2623_zps3a955aa8.jpg

IMG_2574_zps7d78a0a1.jpg

IMG_2543_zpsf25a766c.jpg

IMG_2486_zps7f3c7c58.jpg

IMG_2475_zpsbb3e19a4.jpg

537971_10151567018140091_1028744632_n_zps2c64234c.jpg

377369_10151567017345091_1972459849_n_zps377bce1c.jpg

IMG_2429_zps098f1d45.jpg

IMG_2559_zps9723c01a.jpg

IMG_2567_zps072530f9.jpg

IMG_2628_zps752d2f21.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Great photos! I'm still torn between this and a Camaro V8 when we go later in the year.

You should definitely swap the em free for one when you get back! Yanks rule! :D

Soldato
Scenery looks mighty familiar :p

That's a tasty car for sure, I want a convertible so badly as my next drive, fun as it's been wafting around California in the Caddy I plan to drop the annual miles by the end of the year and get something to enjoy the sunshine in :D

Oh that's if I don't end up with a beater truck for the surfboards - maybe both? :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just stunning.

This is what to hire if you want a V8. The V8 Mustang is a ripp off, it's barely any different to the V6 bar the different engine yet is double or even triple the price. The corvette is worth the extra over a V6 Mustang. The 8 Mustang is not.

Last edited:
Soldato
See, what did I tell you? :p

Drove a manual 'vert last year, great fun. Just needed the box to be a little less balky.

Effortless performance, although admittedly a little windy at triple figures with the roof down :D

Associate
[TW]Fox;24192848 said:
Just stunning.
....... yet is double or even triple the price. The corvette is worth the extra over a V6 Mustang. The 8 Mustang is not.

A group of us hired a V6 and V8 Mustang last week and after looking around, the price difference was only around $80 for the day, definitely not double or triple, bit of an exaggeration or where you were looking is ripping its customers off.
The Corvette is more expensive to hire than both Mustangs anyway so should be a better / more powerful car to drive.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
A group of us hired a V6 and V8 Mustang last week and after looking around, the price difference was only around $80 for the day, definitely not double or triple, bit of an exaggeration or where you were looking is ripping its customers off.
The Corvette is more expensive to hire than both Mustangs anyway so should be a better / more powerful car to drive.

The price difference was $80/day?

A mustang V6 is around $320/week to hire.

If yours was $80 extra per day, then that is triple...

Man of Honour

If you are paying more than 30 quid a day to hire a 300bhp V6 Mustang cab then it's you, not me, who was getting ripped off.

Soldato
OP
How does it compare to the M3?

It's a lot more powerful than the e46 M3 - you really notice it when it struggles to put down the power on a straight dry motorway! Handling doesn't seem as sharp - maybe this is just the coupe/convertible difference though. The lower centre of gravity really works in the Corvette's favour though. It's very tail happy at low revs which is a trait I adore.

See, what did I tell you? :p

Drove a manual 'vert last year, great fun. Just needed the box to be a little less balky.

Effortless performance, although admittedly a little windy at triple figures with the roof down :D

It's fine with earplugs in :D

Funnily enough Rich - I'm passing by Santa Barbara tomorrow morning for breakfast!

Soldato
Thread revival!

I've rented one of these for my holiday in October this year.
It's very likely I'll also get a 2013 model.
Some questions about the car's specification.

1. power or manual top
2. HUD?
3. ICE
a) basic single CD
b) XM radio (satellite)
c) 6 disc in dash changer
d) USB/SD slot?

Man of Honour
Unless you've rented it from Rent-A-Wreck its probably unlikely to be a 2013 - that would make it a 2ish year old car. I know they try to make the most of the Corvettes, but...

Who have you rented from?

Associate
Are their any broker ( comparison sites ) that offer deals on the corvette from hertz or do you have to go through hertz own us site?. I contacted enterprise to see how much they wanted for their 2014 stingray for 14 days and they came back with the following :

VEHICLE TYPE
Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible

$400/Day + TAX
$2400/Week + TAX

Total Charges Including all taxes and fees: $5948.08

lol

Back
Top Bottom