Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
I've been looking at getting one of these for a low powered media centre, I've read a lot out there on the actual Raspi forums but nothing that says one way or the other if I can get away with what I'm hoping!

Got an ageing sound system that sounds way better than anything I can afford these days, only issue is all of my DACs lack HDMI. I've read that you can use a USB sound card for optical out but there is no information if this will work with 1080p playback or if there would be too much strain on the system to do so smoothly (USB being a resource hog).

I'd also plan on plugging a large hard drive to the Raspi and using it to stream music to my other devices, not while watching a movie mind you, but bare in mind that to watch a movie on the Raspi it'll rely on a USB hard drive and USB sound, which I suspect will push it over the edge!

Any thoughts or should I just get myself a Revo? :D

Associate
Not too sure but I'd guess that if using a USB sound card it'd just be bit-streaming the audio out so I wouldn't have thought that it would use too much CPU but I'm not sure.

Soldato
To those of you overclocking to say around 1000mhz,are you using any additional cooling, what are your recommended settings, I have a 256mb mod b that I want to setup with Raspbmc but i'd like to use a flashy skin like I do on my htpc, soething like AEON!

Ta for any advice :)

My 512MB pi is overclocked at 1.1Ghz, RAM & GPU @ 500MHz.
I do however have a 90mm fan running at 5v (silent) laid on top to keep it nice and kool :)
What I did find though was I needed a far more powerful PSU as a 1A phone charger didn't have enough current to keep it stable. I found a 3A 5v transformer in my big box of old transformers which solved the problem.
I don't use Aeon skin but found the stock one and raspbmc generally far quicker and responsive compared to stock speed settings plus now every single 1080p file works silky smooth where-as before a few of the bigger ones would judder slightly.

Man of Honour
I'm using some heatsinks off ebay, cost me either £1.99 or £2.99 dropped temps by about 10'c although it was only hitting 64'c @ 900mhz without, but it sits on top of a stack which includes my server, freesat box and gigabit switch so it gets all the heat

Soldato
Ive tried it at 900mhz and its been fine without any additional cooling. Temps went up to 56c. Which I think is ok. Runs fine so far.

The fan will draw a fair bit of current so I guess an uprated psu is a must.

Actually the fan will draw minimal current especially as it's only running very slow @ 5v!
My need for the higher current PSU is without a doubt due to the heavy overclock, once you start overclocking chips their power efficiency goes right out the window :p
Also both my USB ports are used up with Raspbmc running off a 16GB Corsair GT flash drive (much faster than SD card) and a wireless dongle for my keyboard & mouse in the other one.
My cooling fan sources its power from an old lame 600mA USB phone charger I'd saved for a rainy day :D

Permabanned
My two 512mb pi's have been running at 1000mhz with no extra cooling for months, no issues.

How long did you have them turned on for? Is it something i could leave on all day and night and not worry about my electric bill? I'm only really gonna use mine for web, movies and music so i can keep my workstation turned off.

Soldato
How long did you have them turned on for? Is it something i could leave on all day and night and not worry about my electric bill? I'm only really gonna use mine for web, movies and music so i can keep my workstation turned off.

Leaving one on 24/7 uses a pretty insignificant amount of electricity (a small fraction of what even a lightbulb would use - non-energy saving of course!). I wouldn't worry about it.

Soldato
A stock Pi will use between 3-5W depending on the jazz you have connected to it. (0.7-1Ax5v)
A heavily overclocked Pi will use between 5-10W again depending on whats connect and also the level of overclock, personally I turn my Pi off when I'm not using it as having 10W running 24-7 does add up and it's totally pointless if it's not being used not to mention it will add unnecessary hours to the MTBF! Save the planet yo ;)

Soldato
Time to buy a Pi with wireless K&M Combo! :D

Wireless keyboards never worked for me kept skipping or missing key presses

Also if you're buying it for using as a media player with raspbmc you can do everything you need to set it up without a K&M at all... Using XBMCs web-browser interface from another machine in your house, or if you have a smartphone using an app which acts as a remote

Soldato
Or if your TV supports CEC you could use your normal TV remote!

True, though I couldn't get that to work, despite my TV allegedly supporting it (it's an LG not sure of the model)... I think I read somewhere it might just be the hdmi cable it's connected through but I don't have a spare to test with at the moment. Anyone here had any luck with CEC for LGs?

Back
Top Bottom