Range Rover Evoque

Soldato
Im test driving one on Tuesday, does anybody own one? What are peoples experiences with them?

Always liked the look of them, and JLR seem to be pushing out quality vehicles lately.

The reason i am looking at them is because i need a car with four doors / 4 seats - I currently have a 350z and a celica and they aren't very practical when needing to transport people around. I love both cars to bits but the celica will have to go - its on 130k and is just so reliable - but I want to keep the zed as Ive only had it a year. I use the celica for commuting and its never let me down, I think I will cry when it goes - honestly.

I'm also getting married in August too and my fiance needs a car -predominately for commuting to work - unfortunately she cannot drive anything that doesn't have a high seating position - she currently drives a RAV4 (but that needs to go back to her parents). She insists that she cannot drive a normal car - 'i dont feel safe' etc - We have discussed it many times and she wont budge :p

She will be doing about 60-80 miles a day, and add in any extra social mileage and the miles do add up. The economy on the evoque looks pretty good too compared to other similar cars in the range. Im looking at an auto diesel.

Alternatively, Im also looking at the nissan qashqai - but i do know nothing about either the RR Evoque or the Qashqai, so am open to suggestions and other peoples experiences with both cars.

Associate
What about the Freelander 2?

My parents have one currently and it seems pretty nice for what it is, certainly seems nippy for a diesel auto.

Given that Evoque is a FL2 with a different body shape it might be worth a look?

Caporegime
I'm also getting married in August too and my fiance needs a car -predominately for commuting to work - unfortunately she cannot drive anything that doesn't have a high seating position - she currently drives a RAV4 (but that needs to go back to her parents). She insists that she cannot drive a normal car - 'i dont feel safe' etc - We have discussed it many times and she wont budge :p

Don't do it, she's broken you, it'll only get worse nice you're married.

Buy her a smart car and show her who's boss.

Permabanned
What about the Freelander 2?

My parents have one currently and it seems pretty nice for what it is, certainly seems nippy for a diesel auto.

Given that Evoque is a FL2 with a different body shape it might be worth a look?

How is it a freelander with a different body shape ?
It shares the engine and 4 wheel drive system.
And thats it. In every other respect its completeley different.
Thats like saying an audi tt is the same car as say an a4 or passat ?????????

Granted the freelander 2 is a very good car and having driven both the evoque and freelander i would choose freelander every time but only based on space and visibility. So if these are your requirments then yes freelander 2

Soldato
I've just bought a Nissan Murano Diesel. Not the best on fuel however its a proper tech fest inside. Its bigger than a qashqui and about the same as an evoque but a bit more masculine.(less posh spice)

Soldato
I've always thought the evoque screamed "too posh to drive anything other than RR, too skint for a Vogue!"
(Not in any way directed at the OP)

Mini Countryman, B class Mercedes, Ford Kuga, BMax, Quashkai or Juke, Skoda Yeti, Audio Q3, plenty of marques with options for a higher road position.

Soldato
OP
Don't do it, she's broken you, it'll only get worse nice you're married.

Buy her a smart car and show her who's boss.

Haha, I was waiting for somebody to say that! I like the Evoque anyway, and would love to have one, but I think it may be a little too much too soon. She'll be driving to southend everyday to work, and she thinks it might be a little too bling for someone at her stage of her career (trainee GP - im glad she said it, not me!)

If i had my own way I would keep the celica and possibly upgrade the zed to a XKR or a Vantage, and if I wasn't getting married then a Maserati GT :p. oh well will have to put that plan on hold for now. I do love the zed so am more than happy to keep it, but it will be a bit strange to use it for commuting now

I've always thought the evoque screamed "too posh to drive anything other than RR, too skint for a Vogue!"
(Not in any way directed at the OP)

Mini Countryman, B class Mercedes, Ford Kuga, BMax, Quashkai or Juke, Skoda Yeti, Audio Q3, plenty of marques with options for a higher road position.

I have been eyeing JLR products for some time. Before I bought a 350z last year I had my heart set on a Jaguar XK/XKR -my heart is still telling me to get one. But its always been a dream to have a 350z and im glad i did as it saved me a bit of cash. I have looked at the XF too since the beginning of the year, but having driven a friends Overfinch RR Sport, I've got the itch for something similar and the Evoque seems to tick all boxes.

I will check out the other marques as you have listed, thanks for the suggestions. My head is telling me qashqai or similar, at least that way she can put on the miles and I wont be too bothered, I think ill be too overprotective with the Evoque :p

Soldato
In the sense that if you could afford a 911 over the Boxster, you'd probably take it - then it's a poor man's 911, but the Boxster is a great car in it's own right, so not what I was getting at.

According to all the reviews I've seen, the Evoque is a great car in its on right. Had a look inside one while at the JLR dealership while my car was getting an MOT and the Evoque is a very nice place to sit in.

Caporegime
In the sense that if you could afford a 911 over the Boxster, you'd probably take it - then it's a poor man's 911, but the Boxster is a great car in it's own right, so not what I was getting at.

Stupid way of looking at things.

The Boxster and 911 aren't targeting the same buyers, they are different cars for different requirements.

The Evoque and RR are exactly the same, different cars for different buyers.

It's like saying a BMW 3 series is a poor mans 7 series, total rubbish.

Soldato
Seems like that to me, I could afford a Boxster but not a 911, could afford a 3 series not I don't think I could afford to run a 7 :p

Soldato
I test drove one before I bought the RR Sport. The mrs wanted the Evoque, I wanted the RR Sport and won :)

To be fair I was quite impressed with the Evoque. It feels like a sensible hot hatch to drive. Very refined, the diesel engine was quite pokey too. I was surprised at how small it is though - it's slightly shorter than a ford Focus and not as practical with the sloping roof. The driving position wasn't that high either. Overall, I'd say it was a very nice car, but it didn't feel special - more like a fully specced A5 / Golf.

Soldato
OP
I test drove one before I bought the RR Sport. The mrs wanted the Evoque, I wanted the RR Sport and won :)

To be fair I was quite impressed with the Evoque. It feels like a sensible hot hatch to drive. Very refined, the diesel engine was quite pokey too. I was surprised at how small it is though - it's slightly shorter than a ford Focus and not as practical with the sloping roof. The driving position wasn't that high either. Overall, I'd say it was a very nice car, but it didn't feel special - more like a fully specced A5 / Golf.

Thanks for the input - I would like the RR Sport, but with the new model being released, probably not the best time to get one. I also think it might be a little too big the missus. I have been reading that the published MPG figures are way off the mark though :(

Soldato
I know what you mean about the new model, but with prices around £60k for a half decent spec it will be a while before they come down to Evoque prices. For me it was a choice of an Evoque at about £35k, or a year old RR Sport for £40k....and older model or not its a much better car.

My wife was initially worried about driving it, but the seem to shrink around you the longer you have one, and they really aren't much wider than any other car - 6cm wider than a focus for example.

Try both :)

Associate
More and more of these (the evoque) starting to turn up in the car park at work, just a couple of things;

1) They are really quite nice inside. Much nicer than the qashqai.
2) There is not as much room in the back as you would think. Usual advice applies, get yourself comfy in the front, then get out and try sitting behind the divers seat.

This is from having been able to have a good poke around in a couple. I'm really quite impressed if I'm honest, for what it's worth.

Soldato
OP
I know what you mean about the new model, but with prices around £60k for a half decent spec it will be a while before they come down to Evoque prices. For me it was a choice of an Evoque at about £35k, or a year old RR Sport for £40k....and older model or not its a much better car.

My wife was initially worried about driving it, but the seem to shrink around you the longer you have one, and they really aren't much wider than any other car - 6cm wider than a focus for example.

I think I will when i go in tomorrow - I cant wait!

More and more of these (the evoque) starting to turn up in the car park at work, just a couple of things;

1) They are really quite nice inside. Much nicer than the qashqai.
2) There is not as much room in the back as you would think. Usual advice applies, get yourself comfy in the front, then get out and try sitting behind the divers seat.

This is from having been able to have a good poke around in a couple. I'm really quite impressed if I'm honest, for what it's worth.

The interior is part of the reason why I want to check one out - Jags (and i suppose now Land Rover) have always had nice interiors as standard. Ill check out the rear seat space too - I have only sat in the drivers seat for a very brief space of time in the showroom.

Soldato
OP

Sagalout, I'm inching my way towards a RR Sport now. Any tips on buying or anything to look out for? im looking at 59 plate onwards with a budget of about £30k. I would like a white one, but there seem to be loads in black which are in my price range.

Soldato

Except for the fact that the new Boxster is agreed as the better car by most journalists?

I own a '13 Boxster which I decided on instantly after driving both that and a fully loaded 991S back to back. I could easily afford either of them, the Boxster was simply the better drive.

On topic, we had an Evoque 2 door Dynamic when they first launched. I found the interior quality to be poor compared to most RR's and there were some stupid design errors regarding putting the rear seats down separately that prevented you from carrying 2 passengers and any reasonable amount of luggage. Also, the seats are adjustable for height but as you raise the seat the seat tips forward with no way of compensating for it.

Impressive looking car though, drove very well and had sufficient power as a daily driver.

Back
Top Bottom