iOS 7 Expectations & Wants

PR.

PR.

Associate
I really, really, really hope that in iOS7 they finally get iTunes Match play count data to sync properly, I sick and tired of listening to music on my iPad/iPhone then coming back to iTunes to sync all the recently rediscovered music to my iPod and iTunes has no knowledge of anything I'd played.

Soldato
As long as a redesign doesn't fundamentally change the way iOS works, I'd be happy with a flatter look. Although it is somewhat copying the competition, and I've no real issue with the use of real-world textures in apps. To me it's what sets iOS apart.

Soldato
Cut the skeuomorphism from those apps that use it and it'll be better. Find My Friends is just plain bad in terms of design, similarly notes and contacts on the iPad too.

Soldato
If all they do is flatten the existing UI I'll be disappointed, because I don't think that moves the platform forward in any meaningful way.

As much as the current style is derided it still works, so replacing it with something that's equally functional just looks different is nothing to get excited about.

Associate
Need a new UI. Its too bland and outdated. Its been the same since the first iPhone.
Phone toggles in the notification bar, I cant believe im asking for this, its basically the only reason why I jailbreak... NCSettings FTW.

Just to add to the OP, I absolutely love the iPhone keyboard, its simple and extremely accurate. The Android keyboard in general (includes downloads) are absolutely horrible. Accuracy is poor and the design of it showing you what keys youve hit are horrific. You can barely see what youve hit.

Soldato
As much as the current style is derided it still works, so replacing it with something that's equally functional just looks different is nothing to get excited about.

Apple need to be careful here...

They can't spend too much Dev time on this and ignore other aspects as it won't fly with some iPhone users, especially if that is the only 'significant' 'update'

Soldato
The only thing you can certain about is, people will be complaining. Whether it's too much change, or 'not enough'.

Soldato
It's going to be interesting to say the least, and yes you can bet there will be a fair share of complaints.

If you think about the way the Windows 8 UI changes have been described in terms of 'forcing' and 'taking away' from users when it fact it is a completely avoidable upgrade path, you have to wonder how much of a backlash could be expected when Apple quite literally force existing users to upgrade (force in the sense that obsolescence is the alternative)

Soldato
If all they do is flatten the existing UI I'll be disappointed, because I don't think that moves the platform forward in any meaningful way.

This is about where I stand.

I still like the iOS layout, it's basically there as a launchpad for apps which it does very well. I hope they don't go chasing some flashy or silly redesign simply for the sake of it.

Soldato
It makes you wonder where the appeals for change are really coming from. I mean, who is really complaining?

I don't think I've ever heard Joe and Joanne Average complain about the UI, and even the hardcore iOS fans seem to be split. Obviously there will have been internal friction within Apple, but that's par for the course.

Seems to be a problem mainly invented by the tech journos and bloggers.

Soldato
just quick toggles in the notification area like has been said so I can save some battery so 3G/location/bluetooth on and off preferrably with one click and a CLOSE ALL APPS button when I double click the home button.

Then I'd be a happy bunny.

Associate
For all that I am looking forward to this supposed refresh, I am wanting more function based things than a graphical update.

Perfect example:

I currently have an iPad Mini with "Mailbox" installed as my mail client. On my GSIII, it is a simple task to set a 3rd party app as your primary mail client, however this is not possible in iOS without removing the sync functionality within settings. You can't even get rid of the native iOS mail icon without jailbreaking the damn thing.

Also, sharing is something that needs a massive improvement on iOS. On android you can share to what ever app you desire without actually opening the desired app first.

Its simple things like this that iOS desperately needs. Hopefully they will pull something good out of the bag.

Back
Top Bottom