Anyone been to Madeira?

Soldato
If so What's the best place to go to?
Looking to get away for 7 nights within the next few months - just need a quiet getaway with the Mrs none of this party late night crap :)

Associate
Stay in Funchal, the capital, and if car hire's not your thing you can easily get buses from there to the east and west of the island, amazing scenery. Look for bus tour companies out on the street, don't use any that the hotel or travel operator try and throw at you as they're about twice the price.
If you're after absolute peace and quiet I would get the ferry to Porto Santo and stay there for a night, and hire a couple of bikes. Its beach is never busy, and is so long that you'll easily find a quiet spot.

Funchal has a good selection of restaurants and has plenty of activity, but quite laid back at the same time. Be sure to go to the Armazem do Sal restaurant as well.

Soldato
Aye been there was pretty nice, loving the scenery there. Lots of walks to do if you are into hiking type stuff. There is a nice several mile (they use kilometers there) hike that starts at the top of a mountain and goes down to the ocean. Nice weather too.

DcD

DcD

Associate
Funchal is touristy and expensive, but beautiful.

If you want peace and quiet and an easy journey from the airport, you could try Calheta.

Soldato
Went about five years ago. If you're going to stay in Funchal, stay in the old town. The old town is very picturesque and is far nicer than the rest of the city. We stayed at the Quinta Bela Sao Tiago, which was lovely for the money. Cost us £700 for two weeks including flights.

Downsides of Madeira are that there aren't many beaches and it attracts a lot of older British tourists.

Soldato
I've been to Madeira this year, and the previous 2 years.

I can confirm it is coastal.

I've stayed in a villa near Calheta.

1. Get a hire car
2. You'll land at the airport that's in the top 10 scariest airports in the world
3. English is spoken, but it doesn't hurt to brush up on your Portuguese
4. Tour the island. The scenery is beautiful.
5. Eat a) Espada b) Espetada
6. You can have a coffee at the airport on the 3rd floor and watch the planes
7. In Funchal, visit the flower market, the old town, the harbour, the cable cars
8. Enjoy

Associate
Anyone been this year and have any updated things to see or do?

One of my concerns is if I hire a car and drive to the start of one of these hikes - do they run in a circuit so you end back at the start or do you have to just turn around at some point? Probably a stupid question but makes sense in my head!

Soldato
The landing at the airport was one of our highlights of our 3 night stay in Funchal back in March of this year. Otherwise we found it a fairly dull place and won't be rushing back to the Island. There is no flat land hence why they had to build the runway into the sea so if you like hilly walks you will love it.

The cable car up and sledge ride down was pretty cool and we went whale and dolphin watching (wrap up warm if you do this). Otherwise there didn't seem to be much happening. We stayed in Reids Hotel overlooking the sea so Funchal is most definitely coastal.

Man of Honour
It's not really the sort of place to go for only 3 days, with not enough time to explore the island it's not surprising you found it dull.

Back
Top Bottom