Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Did you get the pro fit then? I will be booking in with him v.soon.

I presume you're happy with the changes? I can't find a bad review of his work so I'm very interested to see what changes would help me.

Associate
Thanks Damien - really interesting. How much focus was there on your cleat position and did it include wedges or anything to correct any foot issues? That's where I seem to have most of my problems.

For my cleat position he basically loosened them up (and swapped a couple of screws due to stripping) and played around feeling my feet through the sides of my shoes and set the cleats by feel. I mentioned to him that I've got collapsed arches and wear insoles (in my every day shoes) to help with it and he commented that my cycling shoes were a really good choice as the specialized ones have a lot of arch support. No wedges or anything like that were required.

I've had a lot of issues in the past with my feet like aches around the cleat area and feeling like I need them to turn out further. From what I can tell the cleat changes were very minor and the biggest changes to my foot/knee comfort were from saddle adjustments, rather than anything to do with my feet. Just in the few rides I've had since I can notice there's a lot less stress on my dodgy knee.

The only other things I needed to take away with me was getting a longer stem to round out the adjustments he'd made to my reach (got a cheap 11cm Specialized Comp stem off ebay today) and to start foam rolling (just ordered one) to help cure my knees flaring out at the top of the pedal movement due to a tight ITB.

Did you get the pro fit then? I will be booking in with him v.soon.

I presume you're happy with the changes? I can't find a bad review of his work so I'm very interested to see what changes would help me.

Yeah, it was the pro fit. I'm happy with the changes so far. The main significant changes were as simple as raising the saddle and slamming the stem to give me more reach. When you put it like that it sounds like a ripoff for £110 but I suppose it's not the effort in making the changes you're paying for, it's the knowledge of what changes to make.

Last edited:
Soldato
shimano r540 or look keo

I use A520's on my road bike and though they look better they're worse in general use than the double sided M540's on my other bikes. Comfort wise I can't tell the difference.

I have A520s... I sometimes have difficulty getting the left in, with it being only single sided, but they do the job.

Ended up with Time Iclic Xpresso.

Cleats and Pedals - made the mistake of putting the cleats in the pedals off the bike to get an idea of how they work.... now i can't get them out lol... first issue and i haven't even got them on the bike yet.... lol

On the plus side - i can put pedals of bikes now.

Associate
Mavic Open Pro rims, 32 non-aero stainless spokes. Bombproof right?

Nope. Snapped a spoke this morning. It wasn't even on a pothole, I'd just stood up and sprinted up a small bridge over a motorway. :(

Luckily having so many spokes meant it was still rideable, despite it being buckled.

On a not so unrelated point, does anyone want to buy some unused 20/24 spoke Ksyrium Equipes (once they arrive)?

Associate
How much?

Dunno, only decided to sell them after snapping that spoke. They're what the Canyon comes with as standard. What are they going for at the mo? I'm not trusting a 24h rear if I can buckle a 32h like that. A least I can limp home on a buckled 32. I'm guessing it's repetitive stress from climbing that's caused it, as opposed to a single impact.

Soldato
[Damien];24214597 said:
Dunno, only decided to sell them after snapping that spoke. They're what the Canyon comes with as standard. What are they going for at the mo? I'm not trusting a 24h rear if I can buckle a 32h like that. A least I can limp home on a buckled 32. I'm guessing it's repetitive stress from climbing that's caused it, as opposed to a single impact.

I've got Alex DH19 32h rims on my commuter and have snapped numerous spokes. I've also got Mavic Aksium rims on my Boardman which run 20h F&R, I've never snapped a spoke on them and they feel far more rigid, I weigh more than you too!

Associate
I've got Alex DH19 32h rims on my commuter and have snapped numerous spokes. I've also got Mavic Aksium rims on my Boardman which run 20h F&R, I've never snapped a spoke on them and they feel far more rigid, I weigh more than you too!

That's interesting. I might give the Ksyriums a ride or two to see how they act then. I bought the Open Pro ones purely for their durability so I was very surprised to snap a spoke so easily. Maybe it's a one off dodgy spoke. I'm just about to pick my bike up from the LBS (just down the road from my work) so I'll throw my weight about a bit on climbs to see if I can snap one again.

Associate
Just incase anybody has missed this and needs some cheap cycling stuff, Aldihave a load in starting today. Here is the leaflet I picked up the other day.

Ooh, I'll have to nip up there later. Since losing a bit of weight I've now only got 3 tops (M) that fit me. What I'm going to do with the god knows how many L and XL tops I have I don't know. Do cycling tops make good cleaning cloths? :confused:

Soldato
[Damien];24214919 said:
Ooh, I'll have to nip up there later. Since losing a bit of weight I've now only got 3 tops (M) that fit me. What I'm going to do with the god knows how many L and XL tops I have I don't know. Do cycling tops make good cleaning cloths? :confused:

Stick it in a boil wash!

Soldato
Going to replace the R500s on my commuter for RS21s tonight. Must have done thousands of miles on the R500s. Will be sad when I do my last trip in them later this evening. Absolutely bullet proof wheels, survived 2 collisions with cars, sadly the hub is now on its way out on both wheels. Will also replace the tyres (I use GP 4 Seasons on my commuter).

I have too many wheels now in my garage, including C24s, C50s, Mavic Aksiums, Fulcrum Racing 5s....

Soldato
Where does everybody buy their cheaper cycling jerseys from? I want something fairly plain but dont want to spend much money to be honest. I will have a look at the quality of the Aldi ones in a bit but don't particulalry like the colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom