Saab 9-5 boot lock

Associate
Evening/Morning,

Today I was opened my boot, all functioning fine, locking and unlocking without problem. However, earlier when I went to open the boot I realised that it wouldn't lock. It would just close over ad bounce back then rest shut. Nothing I did helped. I have pressed the button inside the car to open the boot, the fob button and put the key in the lock and it all makes a noise like it is trying to open/unlock it but doesn't.

Does this sound like the actually lock mechanism is broken? I don't want it to be central locking related as that will cost a fortune!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
The boot release on our old 2000 9-5 did the same but intermittently. It's a common issue and down to the central locking actuator. I think it was a rare and expensive part and that was 4 years ago and came to about £100. Might be someone who's figured out a cheaper solution by now though.

Associate
OP
Took it to the garage this morning and left it with them, needs a new boot lock mechanism. The central locking is all fine.

The guy wrong SAAB parts, wanted £200 for it and a 12 week wait. Not a chance, will hunt a spare somewhere. Little bit annoyed you can't get hold of one but that's life.

At the minute I have a car that boot just doesn't lock at all :(.

Soldato
Get on a forum, it's probably a cheap job.. Auto locking petrol flap piston thing and part of the hinge broke on my lolvo, bit of owners club reaserch and £30 quids worth of genuine parts and some scuffed knuckles the and it's all good now... I dread to think what a dealer would charge..

Get yourself on a saab forum, if it's a common fault you should be able to fix it pretty cheap.

Associate
OP
I'm browsing an auction site now looking for the parts, should be fairly straight forward to change. I have a manual if it gets difficult. So many different locks though. Most are £25-£50 which is better :)

Soldato
Sounds a little bit like the piston style servo mechanism on my petrol flap.. It stopped working for a whileaand then it just worked after having to manually pull it back and forth a few times.

All so check if it's on a timed release, I know on volvos the petrol cap doesn' lock until about 10 mins aafter you lock the car.. safety feature so you can lock the car whilst filing it up with petrol..

Long story short, get in a forum you your car, you'll learn all kinds a things you would never know otherwise

Associate
OP
I will sign up to some forums and have a browse :). Even if it is broken, not bad going for nearly 15 years of abuse!

Associate
Our Audi A4 B7 had a similar problem. The mechanism wouldn't return so it couldn't lock.

Dismantled it, gave it a lubing and works so much better then it ever did.

Associate
OP
Cheers brightside_ I will sign up there. Bought a replacement now for £30, will give it a clean when it arrives and fit it. Hopefully will be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom