Big, quickish saloon/estate 4k

Soldato
I've had my 1.4 Ibiza for a couple of years now and it's time for an upgrade.

I'm looking for something big (comfortable), well equipped and with a bit of go.

Originally I was looking at Mondeo ST TDCI, but I'm now steering back towards petrols as I probably won't be doing the mileage to warrant it with my current job.

Honestly, my heart is now set on a 530i Sport. With up to 4k to spend, is this a wise choice, and best engine to get for the car? What sort of MPG can I expect from long and short runs. Basically if I could have a print out of Fox's brain that'd be great.

I'm 22, 1y NCB (2 in a few months) and I've been quoted £750 to insure a 530 fully comp which is fine.

All advice welcome :)

Man of Honour
It'll do 18-23mpg on short runs around town depending on transmission. It'll do 30-39mpg on long runs depending on duration, road types and your favoured cruising speed.

There is only one engine in a 530i Sport - the 3 litre M54B30. £4k should get you as good an example as you are likely to get these days - remember they are all now old cars, the newest are 10 years old, the oldest are almost 13 years old.

Associate
I'll recommend my own car, a Saab 9-5 Aero. It's not as nice to drive as a good e39 but it is quicker. It's also much easier to find a good one as the original owners seem to hang onto them for much longer. Standard equipment is ok, Leather, Hid's, dual zone climate, electric heated seats, etc but the cabin isn't as nice overall as a good e39.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, appreciate the response. The 9-5 is on my list of alternatives but I think, no matter its advantages, the interior isn't going to win me over. Still keeping an open mind, though.

When I mentioned best engine, I meant the 525 and 528. I want a manual and I'm beginning to hang my hopes up on finding 530 unless I settle for an auto. As much as I don't want to it doesn't look like I have much choice, either that or drop an engine size to get the box I want.

That was actually one of the main things that I forgot to ask in the OP. Reading about, it looks like a contingency fund will be necessary should I go auto, should it start to go. If I buy the car I'll be in it for the long haul, I just want to know I'll be happy making a sacrifice going auto to own a car I've always wanted.

How is your retrofitted navigation? How desirable is this as an option these days, does it still do the job? Trying to gauge whether this should be a selling point for me.

Soldato
Deffo an E39 530. You're not fussy about it being an auto though, are you, because manuals are very rare so you could be in for a long search to find a good one. As Fox said - it's an old car - make sure you have a fund for sorting engine ancillary niggles - you're likely to have to work on things like rocker cover gasket, Vanos seals, cooling system, etc depending on age/mileage/condition. Ideally you'd be into doing stuff like this yourself if you're considering such a car.

Man of Honour
Stuff like the Legnum just isn't an alternative unless all you want is the performance. If you can get into a Legnum and think 'This isn't bad' tben you are wasting money going for an E39 anyway.

The retrofit nav is fine - I like it and I wouldn't want OEM nav over it because having a modern navigation system which looks almost OEM beats a 10 year old system that *is* OEM for me.

528i's are even older - September 1999 to September 2000. 525i's are an interesting alternative if you don't mind the performance deficit.

Soldato
Thanks guys, appreciate the response. The 9-5 is on my list of alternatives but I think, no matter its advantages, the interior isn't going to win me over. Still keeping an open mind, though.

If you want comfy, it doesn't get much better than the 95. I had an Aero and it was a good, solid car. Great for long journeys and the economy was good for 240+ bhp. The downside was all that power with FWD and the car being a little too comfortable. The 530 will be a sportier drive, and has imo the best interior in terms of balanced ergonomics.

For that money, the only other options I can think of are a Volvo s60 or an Audi A6/B5 Passat (2.8 Quattro). I don't think either are as good to drive, but perhaps good examples are easier to find.

Soldato
OP
Well I would rather have a manual for sure but after more reading the auto doesn't seem as bad as I thought. With this in mind, a 530 it's goings to have to be I think, not fussed about nav as I'll fit something myself I imagine.

I'll do whatever work is required on the car myself as luckily I have the tools and space to do so. What should I be looking for when viewing examples? Particularly, how can I tell if an old auto box is on its way out? Or if I'll need to spend £500 overhauling the cooling system?

I didn't realise the 528i was older, that's interesting. Appreciate your help Fox, gold advice as always.

Man of Honour
If it says '530i' on the back you know you will need to overhaul the cooling system ;)

The 528i was simply the prefacelift equivilent to the 530i. When the E39 was facelifted in October 2000, the 530i replaced the 528i.

Soldato
There's a garage near me where I had my 330i serviced yesterday with a 2001, 51 plate 530i with full BMW service history and 104,000 miles on the clock. Manual, equipped with leather and xenons. It was in blue, I didn't catch anything else. The garage are selling it for £2,000.00 - would that sound about right?

Oh, it didn't have a spoiler and the alloys were different to Fox's (pretty much the only example I can picture), would that mean it's the SE spec?

Man of Honour
I would be concerned if it was a Sport at that money, they tend to be ropey. An SE for £2k I can understand - and a Sport should have a spoiler. Mine has the optional 18's, the standard Sport wheels are 17 inch Style 66.

Back
Top Bottom