*** The Official Samsung Galaxy S4 Thread ***

Associate
Decided to cancel take back and cancel my S4 purchase....

Just ordered a HTC One...

Then you'll get frustrated by uneven surfaces :p

Can't believe the S4 has only 7.7GB available, they shouldn't be allowed to advertise that as 16GB if 16GB isn't entirely available to the user. I know it's being going on for years but surely it has to stop now, just look at the available storage on RT as an example of how bad it is getting.

Associate
Probably :p. Although im not normally too bad with slight imperfections on the build. An uniform screen just distracts me constantly and not something i want on a device like this.

I'm sure you'll be fine :) wonder why there seems to be consistency issues with the S4 screens. In fact that reminds me I think the screens used in the One are manufactured by 2 different companies so might be some differences amongst them, Nexus18 will probably know for sure :p

Soldato
Then you'll get frustrated by uneven surfaces :p

Can't believe the S4 has only 7.7GB available, they shouldn't be allowed to advertise that as 16GB if 16GB isn't entirely available to the user. I know it's being going on for years but surely it has to stop now, just look at the available storage on RT as an example of how bad it is getting.

9.3GB is free from new. I've used some that's why it's showing less. Xperia Z is the same. Get a custom rom to remove the bloat.

Associate
Jono, let me know how you get on with the One! I'll be ordering my S4 replacement on Tuesday, so hopefully Wednesday will be the moment of truth...

Caporegime
Jono, let me know how you get on with the One! I'll be ordering my S4 replacement on Tuesday, so hopefully Wednesday will be the moment of truth...

Hopefully you will get a good one.

The other reason im giving the One a go is that whilst the S4 is no doubt a great phone ( if you get a good screen!!) , i didnt really get that warm fuzzy new gadget feeling as it is essentially the same phone as the S3, albeit with quicker hardware. Just felt like i was using the same phone but with a worse screen to be honest.

Caporegime
It isn't uncommon to have different manufacturers for the screen panels and yup, it seems like there are a couple of different suppliers for the "one" screen, differences being the usual stuff; brightness, contrast and colour temperature. The differences don't seem to be big enough to be worth worrying about though imo, the main noticeable difference will be the colour temperature, you either get a slightly warm temperature screen i.e. a bit yellow or a cold temperature screen i..e a bit blue.

IIRC there were 3 different suppliers for the one X screen (iirc they were Sony, Sharp and Acer) and same goes for the apple ipad/iphones and pretty much every other device out there.

But with SAMOLED you shouldn't have to worry about this since Samsung are the only manufacturers of it afaik. Haven't been following the screen issues really so no idea what the problem is, could be a number of things or just one basic thing i.e. software and calibration tweak.

This isn't just the case with display panels either but certain other parts too i.e. camera sensors.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It isn't uncommon to have different manufacturers for the screen panels and yup, it seems like there are a couple of different suppliers for the "one" screen, differences being the usual stuff; brightness, contrast and colour temperature. The differences don't seem to be big enough to be worth worrying about though imo, the main noticeable difference will be the colour temperature, you either get a slightly warm temperature screen i.e. a bit yellow or a cold temperature screen i..e a bit blue.

IIRC there were 3 different suppliers for the one X screen (iirc they were Sony, Sharp and Acer) and same goes for the apple ipad/iphones and pretty much every other device out there.

But with SAMOLED you shouldn't have to worry about this since Samsung are the only manufacturers of it afaik. Haven't been following the screen issues really so no idea what the problem is, could be a number of things or just one basic thing i.e. software and calibration tweak.

This isn't just the case with display panels either but certain other parts too i.e. camera sensors.

You wouldnt believe ( well , you might) the differences between the four S4's we had out at Phones4U today. All of them had different degrees of brightness and all had different screen uniformity issues.

Caporegime
It is weird the way there seems to be big differences (at least that is what I can gather from you :p) with this screen.

It isn't uncommon for SAMOLED screens to vary regarding tints, colours etc. either. No display panel is the exact same.

I presume that they were all on the same software version?

There was a guy on xda who said he went to like 9 stores and looked at multiple ones :o and that they all had a pink tint. EDIT: Sorry, thought he mentioned 9 stores, only mentioned that he went from store to store and in total tried 13 handsets :o :p

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=40829809

Regarding the brightness, it could just be down to the heat (supposedly the display gets hot pretty fast, not sure if a hardware or software fault again...) and thus throttling/limiting the brightness on some handsets and that could be why there is a big difference between them.

Perhaps Samsung just rushed them out and didn't spend much time/money on their QC, like HTC with their chassis :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Hopefully upgrading mine today if phones4u have stock :) i used there jump contract when i got the s3 which allows u to upgrade after 6mnths

Its been almost a year since that so i should be fine, not sure how it works really

Soldato
Hi, my speed seems to have increased a lot im coming from a S3 ,

i used to get around 4-9mb on s3 , now im getting 13mb -19mb all the time even in peak times, since i inserted sim in the galaxy s4

im on sim only Tmobile , seems like the galaxy s4 has increased my 3g speeds, who needs 4g lol, im thinking of getting the £16 a month, unlimited talk, texts and data

6p7rlj.png
[/IMG]

Soldato
Got mine yesterday from chitter chatter, only ordered it a few days ago too! LOVE the screen when viewing HD quality clips on youtube.

It is so damn fast too.

Fantastic phone.

Not keen on paying £30-40 for an official flip cover though.

Soldato
anyone know how to get youtube app to play HD, when connected by 3g, as i know my connection is up to it, none HD on the s4 screen is a waste

Soldato
Hopefully upgrading mine today if phones4u have stock :) i used there jump contract when i got the s3 which allows u to upgrade after 6mnths

Its been almost a year since that so i should be fine, not sure how it works really

You'll end up paying more per month, I think jump is terrible.

Soldato
I have all three phone's at the moment, One is my dads and the Z's my brothers.

First pic is with them all at the same brightness (as best I could, about 40% on the One and then I matched the other to it by eye)

At a slight angle, not directly on top:

S4 on dynamic (forgot to turn it to normal or pro), all using their default galley apps with their picture engines

2_zps9ccb82e5.jpg~original

Second pic focused on the S4 - The S4 had the best viewing angles, One not far behind, the Z is the least impressive, which even the Mrs commented on.

3_zpsb9f9e8d3.jpg~original

The Z's gallery app which I used above really boosts colours, contrast and viewing angles compared to quickpic as below (all phones using quickpic at max brightness):

11_zpsc3aa649a.jpg~original

The S4 seems to be brighter than the others at off center viewing angles :cool: even though it has the lowest max brightness out of the 3.

Associate
Was a bit underwhelmed by the battery so i installed better battery stats and found out that the phone pretty much never slept and the wifi was pretty much always on.

I had four main issues:
1) wssyncmlnps (Main culprit) - update/sync service so i just force stop it.
2) Isyncer - Custom app I have for syncing itunes with free wakelock >.>
3) fast dormancy - Not much of an issue so I have left it enabled for now.
4) Wifi (Second biggest drain) - Wake lock for receiving wifi data about 30% of the time, this is apparently a firmware bug so the only thing to do for the minute is disable when I am not using it. Tried moving it to a isolated guest wifi I have with no other clients but it didn't help.

Phone seems to be in deep sleep most of the time now which seems to give 1000% more battery :)

Soldato
Was a bit underwhelmed by the battery so i installed better battery stats and found out that the phone pretty much never slept and the wifi was pretty much always on.

I had four main issues:
1) wssyncmlnps (Main culprit) - update/sync service so i just force stop it.
2) Isyncer - Custom app I have for syncing itunes with free wakelock >.>
3) fast dormancy - Not much of an issue so I have left it enabled for now.
4) Wifi (Second biggest drain) - Wake lock for receiving wifi data about 30% of the time, this is apparently a firmware bug so the only thing to do for the minute is disable when I am not using it. Tried moving it to a isolated guest wifi I have with no other clients but it didn't help.

Phone seems to be in deep sleep most of the time now which seems to give 1000% more battery :)

On point 4 would Juice Defender help there? Shuts off WiFi when not in use on my Dad's S2 and is meant to wake it on demand?

Soldato
RE kona786 @ 10.46:

The Z has by far the worst screen of the 3 in those pictures. Admittedly the One and S4 are too close to call in the head on photo at least but the viewing angles speak for themselves, S4!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom