***The Official HTC One Thread***

Soldato
Well, my black One arrived earlier, I've had a chance to briefly play on it. Wow, as soon as you hold it, what a difference. It absolutely oozes quality. I do not think pics do the black One justice, it is incredibly good looking!! I have inspected mine after obviously keeping up to date with this thread and everything seems perfectly flush, I can't see anything out of place. Off to footy now.

Soldato
Well, my black One arrived earlier, I've had a chance to briefly play on it. Wow, as soon as you hold it, what a difference. It absolutely oozes quality. I do not think pics do the black One justice, it is incredibly good looking!! I have inspected mine after obviously keeping up to date with this thread and everything seems perfectly flush, I can't see anything out of place. Off to footy now.

try out a good YouTube HD movie trailer - you'll be amazed by the speakers SQ!

Soldato
Just took this in the direct sunlight…

IMAG0053.jpg

Wow. Very clear: crisp

Associate
Nice one Mate, what's the serial number of your new device, just out of interest?

So the screen is flush both top and bottom to the speakers and the gaps at the top and bottom are literally nothing? :cool:

The standby time on the HO is nothing short of epic :D

Yep, perfect.

SN: HT344

Last edited:
Soldato
I disagree with both of you, it feels like a premium phone and certainly doesn't exhibit any of the manufacturing faults of the HO.

So how does a glass front and back phone feel less premium than a plastic phone? I don't get your reasoning behind it?

It's also way cheaper cost wise than the HO and performs just as well.

Put it this way £289 for the N4 which has no defects compared to paying £500 for the HO which has quite a few defects manufacturing wise is a no brainer. :p:D

I certainly prefer the N4 over the HO and I have both, I'm running Paranoid Android and Franco Kernel and it runs so smoothly, saying that the HO is no slouch either.

Just my personal opinion mate, I couldnt go to a N4 from this, I got no defects on mine it's all flush or I would have sent it back.

Reasons I coukdnt go to a N4, HTC one has ..far better screen, better sound, better design, looks premium.superior camera, better processor, more storage. You only have to put them together it's a no brainer, but this is my opinion.

Soldato
Yep, perfect.

SN: HT344

Cool! That's a April build, not sure when it was manufactured though but it was made in Taiwan. Thanks for that.

Just my personal opinion mate, I couldnt go to a N4 from this, I got no defects on mine it's all flush or I would have sent it back.

Reasons I coukdnt go to a N4, HTC one has ..far better screen, better sound, better design, looks premium.superior camera, better processor, more storage. You only have to put them together it's a no brainer, but this is my opinion.

No problems Dude, I respect your opinion as you've had plenty of phones just like me :p

It's good that your HO hasn't got any defects, I guess it's a lottery as to whether people get a HO which is perfectly fine build quality wise or it's a bit dodgy. Personally I've had to swap out 3 HO's for various reasons before settling on the one I have now. It certainly isn't perfect but I can't be bothered with all the hassle with getting it changed again.

Yes the HO has a better screen and trumps the N4 in practically everything but for a cheap phone the N4 certainly packs a punch and I prefer using it over my HO because the Android experience is somehow much more better in terms of usability. Sense 5 has it's advantages too but there's something about the N4 that keeps on drawing me back to it. I can't quite put my finger on what it is but that's how I feel. It just does everything well, except for taking pictures!

The camera maybe crap and the processor slightly slower compared to the Snapdragon 600 but day to day use it certainly isn't a slouch and is visibly just as fast as the HO. Sound quality wise I don't really subscribe to Beats enhanced music and the DAC is certainly very good.

Boomsound is a masterstroke and HTC have struck gold here, the front facing speakers are epic and to be honest we'll all expect our future phones to have front facing speakers otherwise there'll be some disappointed people around here.

Don't get me wrong the HO is a very good phone and has countless features that place it above the N4 but the latter certainly isn't poor and it can hold its own against the HO so much so that I prefer to use it over the HO as my daily driver.

Lastly the N4 will have the latest software whereas the HO will be at the mercy of HTC in regards to software updates which is a crying shame I would love to see the HO running KLP or 4.3 as soon as possible.

Soldato
I always used to be obsessed with putting roms on phones but I see no need to bother with this one out works fine out the box.

I had a nexus phone thelast one, was nice getting fast updates but I just felt you always beta testing as they always came with issues.

Soldato
I always used to be obsessed with putting roms on phones but I see no need to bother with this one out works fine out the box.

I had a nexus phone thelast one, was nice getting fast updates but I just felt you always beta testing as they always came with issues.

Yes the HO works well out the box the only reason I'd root it though is to enable the HTC logo as a wake up and get rid of the dreaded three button menu other than that its a wonderful piece of kit.

You're right the Nexus phones are akin to being like beta testers that what really annoyed me about the Galaxy Nexus. I got so fed up with the bugs I moved onto the S2.

I'm also in the "how on earth can you prefer the Nexus 4 over the HTC One" camp. :p

It's cos I got dropped on my head when a was a baby :p

Soldato
I've reduced the size of the original image (original here: http://i.imgur.com/kOYUX8D.jpg)

vg5Gll0.jpg

Maybe I'm being a moron but I'm sure this picture quality isn't right. When you look at the normal sized image there seems to be a lot of noise, and I seem to be getting these quality images the more and more as I use the camera.

Soldato
I'm also in the "how on earth can you prefer the Nexus 4 over the HTC One" camp. :p

The only thing that really interests me about the One is the Speakers, Screen & Camera. Everything else I'm pretty much happy with my N4 & like Stoosh I will probably end up back on my N4 at some point.

Plus I much prefer stock Android thats one reason :p (or should I say Paranoid Android working without bugs)

Now Three need to hurry up & get a black one in stock by the 16th or I won't be a happy bunny, I hate different coloured bezels much prefer just solid black!

Man of Honour
So how does a glass front and back phone feel less premium than a plastic phone? I don't get your reasoning behind it?

It's fairly obvious, no? Plastic things feel cheaper than glass and metal things.

The N4 is a bargain - but it feels like it's a cheaper phone, too. They've put less effort into things like the quality of materials used and more effort into making sure they hit a bargain pricepoint.

We really need to get the 'defect' thing into perspective. It's a small gap where the speaker grille joins the screen. Yes, its annoying. Yes, it winds us perfectionists up because we are ridiculously anal and like things to be perfect but to say it's a negative point against something like an N4 doesn't really work - the N4 doesn't even attempt premium feel in the first place. The reason why there are no gaps between the glass screen and brushed alluminium body on a Nexus 4 is because... err... it doesn't HAVE a brushed aluminium body. It's just made of cheap plastic.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24242209 said:
It's fairly obvious, no? Plastic things feel cheaper than glass and metal things.

The N4 is a bargain - but it feels like it's a cheaper phone, too. They've put less effort into things like the quality of materials used and more effort into making sure they hit a bargain pricepoint.

We really need to get the 'defect' thing into perspective. It's a small gap where the speaker grille joins the screen. Yes, its annoying. Yes, it winds us perfectionists up because we are ridiculously anal and like things to be perfect but to say it's a negative point against something like an N4 doesn't really work - the N4 doesn't even attempt premium feel in the first place. The reason why there are no gaps between the glass screen and brushed alluminium body on a Nexus 4 is because... err... it doesn't HAVE a brushed aluminium body. It's just made of cheap plastic.

But yet it doesn't feel cheap at all to me & everyone else I have shown it to. Most people who have asked me about the N4 & asked how much it cost couldn't believe it was so cheap.

What about the plastic on the front of the one? isn't that cheap? must be because of all the gaps......

Oh yeah while I'm at it:

[TW]Fox;24240563 said:
Amazed you think that - the Nexus 4 feels so nasty it makes even the Galaxy S4 feel like a premium device.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHA. Just no.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm running Android version 4.1.2.

What's the ISO bug and how do I fix it?

Not that kind of software! :p The other one, it should begin with something like 1.29 or 1.28.

Essentially the phone is picking the wrong ISO to use even if you choose it manually, this has been fixed in the newest version of 1.29 iirc.

e.g.

A photo with the wrong ISO

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/73/191334058_37d30067c5_b.jpg

A photo with the right ISO

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/72/191333773_c21d9e920f_b.jpg

And then in low light:

wrong iso

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/gadgets/HTC/HTCOne/cameracomp/nightmode-HTC One-6.jpg

right iso

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/gadgets/HTC/HTCOne/cameracomp/nightmode-HTC One-7.jpg

Man of Honour
But yet it doesn't feel cheap at all to me & everyone else I have shown it to.

Thats great, and it's good you enjoy the handset. It's a decent handset. But to many of us it does. Clearly it does to many others as well otherwise nobody would buy anything more than a Nexus 4 given quite how good value it is. Different people place different value on different properties and have different of ideas of what feels cheap and what doesn't. ie plenty of people think the interior of a Honda Civic feels decent, plenty of other people think it feels really cheap and therefore buy something else as a result.

What about the plastic on the front of the one? isn't that cheap?

What plastic on the front of the One?

must be because of all the gaps......

Yea, 'all' the gaps...

Soldato
[TW]Fox;24242364 said:
Thats great, and it's good you enjoy the handset. It's a decent handset. But to many of us it does. Clearly it does to many others as well otherwise nobody would buy anything more than a Nexus 4 given quite how good value it is.

What plastic on the front of the One?

Yea, 'all' the gaps...

Sorry it appears I have misjudged the front, The speaker parts look like they are made from plastic it appears not. I haven't handled one yet & won't until my contract is due.

Well hardly anyone even knows about the Nexus 4, Its hardly had the marketing that the S4 & One have had. So maybe that is one reason? First I've heard of the N4 being horrible to handle though. I respect your decision but I disagree & I strongly disagree that the S4 feels more premium :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom