Every meteorite since 861 AD - Animated!

Man of Honour
If you like that, on a similar note.

Asteroid Discovery from 1980 - 2011 (4K HD version)

Edit - there was a better version which explained everything and why they were discovered in the patterns you see. Can't find it though.

Last edited:
Associate
Interesting.

Events such as the Tunguska Event in Siberia in the early 1900s apparently occur once every 100 years as a statistical average, I think I read that in "Universe by Freedman and Kauffman" but I'm not sure.

Quite astonishing the Tunguska event, it released an amount of energy equivalent to several Hiroshima bombs - it really does outline the significance of the velocity squared term in the classical mechanics kinetic energy equation; the future of weapons of mass destruction lies not in nuclear weapons, but in extremely high velocity weapons which need not have a huge mass.

Also, just to mention, events the size of the Chicxulub event of roughly 65 million years ago happen, on average, every 100 million years - so, statistically, we are alright for the next 35 million; but, in all likelihood, humanity will be long gone by that point anyway.

Associate
Very cool. But why so many more now? Presumably because record-keeping is better and not because we're attracting more?

Theres nothing to suggest that the frequency has increased, its detection thats better, more people in more places. Most will be hitting the oceans so will not leave a trace of them.

Back
Top Bottom