Piledriver 8350 4ghz OR Radeon HD 7970..??

Associate
OP
You'll hardly notice any difference going from a 4.2ghz FX6 to a 4.2ghz FX8 in games as hardly any of them use that many threads, so I vote GPU.

I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression that the Piledriver achitecture is substantially better than Bulldozer. (True 8 core etc). Correct me if I'm wrong. I understand that the 8350 lies somewhere between the i5 and i7?

Soldato
I may be wrong, but I'm under the impression that the Piledriver achitecture is substantially better than Bulldozer. (True 8 core etc). Correct me if I'm wrong. I understand that the 8350 lies somewhere between the i5 and i7?
Piledriver is around 10% faster than Bulldozer, and more or less put it back to clock for clock closer to Phenom II (but of course the Piledriver can overclock higher).

8350 still can't match i5 in gaming performance I'm afraid. In games that would use up to 6 cores the Piledriver is "close to" (around 2-3fps behind) the i5 when both are on the same clock, but it is still hopelessly behind in games that use less than 6 cores.

Last edited:
Caporegime

What's with this true core crap? It's not a true Octo core (Not that it matters), and it's better, but it's not a game changer.

Piledriver is around 10% faster than Bulldozer, and more or less put it back to clock for clock closer to Phenom II (but of course the Piledriver can overclock higher).

8350 still can't match i5 in gaming performance I'm afraid. In games that would use up to 6 cores the Piledriver is "close to" (around 2-3fps behind) the i5 when both are on the same clock, but it is still hopelessly behind in games that use less than 6 cores.

Of course giving figures doesn't mean much when it differs GPU set up to GPU set up, one set up could have a few FPS game, another could have 20, even with upto 6 cores, if you've seen the FX6300 benchmarks against a stock i5 3570k, it isn't as close as you'd hope, the FX6300 gets a sound thrashing.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok guys help me out here. I'm currently running Bulldozer 6100 overclocked to 4.2ghz and Radeon HD 6870, primarily being used as a gaming platform. I'll probably finish up with both items in the title at some point down the line, but I can't afford both at the moment. Simple question; which one first? I'm leaning towards the graphics card at the moment, but I dont want any bottlenecking shenanigans kickiing off, although I don't reckon this will be an issue. Let me know your thoughts. Cheers in advance. :)

Cpu is fine as it is, no need to get 8350, just get 7970 and get a real boost!

Caporegime
Last edited:
Caporegime
How so, what benchmarks are you looking at? Are you talking about any specific games?

There will be numerous titles you can bottleneck it, even if it's just here and there.
I can bottleneck a 7970 with a 4.8GHZ 2500k in instances quite easily.
Running Tridef with my 7970 and 4.8GHZ 2500K can lead to tons of bottlnecks.

Associate
There will be numerous titles you can bottleneck it, even if it's just here and there.
I can bottleneck a 7970 with a 4.8GHZ 2500k in instances quite easily.
Running Tridef with my 7970 and 4.8GHZ 2500K can lead to tons of bottlnecks.

I also would have thought a 4.2Ghz FX 6100 would bottleneck a lot of games with a 7970 but i'm struggling to find evidence of that happening.

Of course i'm not saying one should buy a FX 6100 over a i5 for gaming if they have the money, but if they cant afford the i5 then the FX won't hurt their gaming experiences significantly from what I can see anyway.

I have no experience of Tridef, is it really CPU intensive? Good to know if it is.

Anyway back on topic, OP my recommendation of the GPU upgrade rather than CPU still stands.

Soldato
7970 any day! A 4.2Ghz FX 6100 wont bottle neck a 7970 and if it does you will still get silly high FPS: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6934/choosing-a-gaming-cpu-single-multigpu-at-1440p/5

You wont notice any gaming difference going to a 8350 in most games unless you are into RTS where you will get slightly lower FPS but still high amounts.
Ah no. Metro2033 is one of the few current available games that actually benefit from having more than 4 cores, so you really can't use it as a "one size fit all" representation.

In RTS or MMOs that use less than 4 cores, the 8350 won't be just "slightly" slower...but HUGELY slower (depending on the game situation, it would be anywhere between 10 to 30fps lower than the i5 of the same clock speed).

Back
Top Bottom