** Star Trek Into Darkness **Spoilers!!**

Soldato
Just watched this myself and sorry to say I was disappointed. Felt like one action scene after another for the sake of it and really not much story detail. I did think khan was awesome but the ending was ass.

In fairness though I really loved the last one so I think I just set the bar too high, still disappointed overall.

I only watched 2d as 3d just doesn't work for me so is pointless Lol.

Soldato
So many inconsistencies:

You can't teleport them out when they're moving? Yet in the first film you could teleport them falling through the air?

Falling at a constant velocity is not the same as moving around randomly

One stun shot takes Khan down at one point, suddenly 9 or so shots do nothing?!?

It was fairly clear that he was faking unconsciousness when he got shot on the bridge of the Vengence

The scene by the door was just so overdramatic, someone in the cinema actually started laughing.

True, but it was a deliberate throwback to the same scene in the Wrath of Khan (Star Trek 2) - virtually identical but with the characters reversed.

Admiral thingy's ship gets blown up but his daughter barely bats an eyelid!

The admiral was already dead... Why would she care about a ship with only Khan onboard?

Token scene of her in her underwear....why? Who knows.

We all know why ;)

And another thing, why did Khan save the girl at the beginning?

So that her father would smuggle the bomb into his top-secret workplace

6/10 at best. visually stunning and it had good parts, the acting (well Benedict) was good but the story was poo and the end was just rubbish.

[response to 'spoilers' in the quote above]

I thought it was enjoyable enough. It was no Wrath of Khan to be sure, and it suffered from most of the major cliches that big budget action movies do these days. But from the above it seems like you weren't paying very much attention!

Associate
Just watched this movie. Personally I give it 9/10.

Loved some of the mirroring with regards to the old movies.

The only negative thing to say is that with both Kirks death and his demotion. Film didn't allow long enough for them to sink in. Also Kirk revival was very obvious

I want a collectors model of the USS vengeance. But no one seems to sell one :(

Man of Honour
Just got back and I thought that was fairly poor.

The story was just...bad.

So many inconsistencies:

You can't teleport them out when they're moving? Yet in the first film you could teleport them falling through the air?

One stun shot takes Khan down at one point, suddenly 9 or so shots do nothing?!?

The scene by the door was just so overdramatic, someone in the cinema actually started laughing.

Klingons were good, they should have been in it more, it felt like a token scene for fans rather than an integral part of the story

Admiral thingy's ship gets blown up but his daughter barely bats an eyelid!

Token scene of her in her underwear....why? Who knows.

Does Earth not have any defences? Good to know that all the enemies of Earth have to do is just ram them!

Does Stargate command not have any defences? You'd think a gunship wouldn't be allowed to just waltz up and blow the **** out of it.

And another thing, why did Khan save the girl at the beginning?

Oh and what's up with Old Spock? Good to know he's just hanging about on speed dial, that felt like another token inclusion for fans with no purpose.

A lot of the inconsistencies you mention just seem to be you not understanding the story tbh.

Associate
Very watchable and i wasn't bored but some of the loved up scenes were a bit *groan*

Enjoyed it more than the very disappointing IM3

Felt a bit like nemesis again in that you have 2 starships having a full on brawl in earths orbit but where were all the other starships ? They had already made reference to the other ships earlier on.

If he is from 300 years ago how is it he had enough knowledge to build a cutting edge starship ?

I agree with some of the comments and reviews around that Abrams did some odd things with regards to throwbacks to the previous films and the original films when he didn't really have too, made the film a bit of a geek fest at times when it didn't really have to be like that.

Firing at another ship in warp hmm....

Last edited:
Soldato
Did anybody else find the opening scene ridiculous? My girlfriend actually turned and asked me if it had started yet because the indigenous people looked like paper mache done by kids, have to agree they looked ridiculous :/

Associate
Very watchable and i wasn't bored but some of the loved up scenes were a bit *groan*

Enjoyed it more than the very disappointing IM3

Felt a bit like nemesis again in that you have 2 starships having a full on brawl in earths orbit but where were all the other starships ? They had already made reference to the other ships earlier on.

If he is from 300 years ago how is it he had enough knowledge to build a cutting edge starship ?

I agree with some of the comments and reviews around that Abrams did some odd things with regards to throwbacks to the previous films and the original films when he didn't really have too, made the film a bit of a geek fest at times when it didn't really have to be like that.

Firing at another ship in warp hmm....

agreed

He has the ability to absorb information very quickly and it unclear how long hes been awake.

agreed, very cheesy at points

You can fire torpedoes at warp, but not phasers.

On the whole i thought it was a better star trek movie than the first.

Soldato
Saw this last night. As someone who has never watched star trek except the odd bit of old episodes, nor the last film i thought it was brilliant.

However, i saw it in 3D (first 3D film i've seen, had no choice) and can't make my mind up. Annoyingly i didn't know we were seeing it in 3D so had to wear to pairs of glasses, which meant reseating them every 15 mins. Then as for the effect itself i'd say it was 50/50 between it making bits better or worse.
It worked really really well for some bits and others were so blurry i could barely see what was going on. Text and anything close to the camera was messed up imo. Think i'll have to see a couple more to make my mind up.

9/10 for the film.

Soldato
Saw this last night. As someone who has never watched star trek except the odd bit of old episodes, nor the last film i thought it was brilliant.

However, i saw it in 3D (first 3D film i've seen, had no choice) and can't make my mind up. Annoyingly i didn't know we were seeing it in 3D so had to wear to pairs of glasses, which meant reseating them every 15 mins. Then as for the effect itself i'd say it was 50/50 between it making bits better or worse.
It worked really really well for some bits and others were so blurry i could barely see what was going on. Text and anything close to the camera was messed up imo. Think i'll have to see a couple more to make my mind up.

9/10 for the film.

Should definitely watch the last one mate, not a trekkie myself but loved it. Not sure how people prefer this one but to each their own :)

Associate
10/10 for me, easily as good as the first one if not better and certainly much better than Iron Man 3. First movie in the last couple of years I want to see again.

Saw it in 2d as I hate 3d films. This along with oblivion have made me very happy for my sci fi fix this summer.

This... loved ST and Oblivion too. IM3 was perhaps not as good as IM1 or IM2 but still enjoyed it.

Soldato
Bet it will look cracking on the IMAX.

I'm planning on taking the lads to see something appropriately spectacular in their summer hols at the Brum IMAX, is 3d better and worth it at IMAX?? I like the concept of 3d but not the cinieworld execution so hopes are high.

PR.

PR.

Associate
Just got back and I thought that was fairly poor.

The story was just...bad.

So many inconsistencies:

1) You can't teleport them out when they're moving? Yet in the first film you could teleport them falling through the air?

2) One stun shot takes Khan down at one point, suddenly 9 or so shots do nothing?!?

3) The scene by the door was just so overdramatic, someone in the cinema actually started laughing.

4) Klingons were good, they should have been in it more, it felt like a token scene for fans rather than an integral part of the story

5) Admiral thingy's ship gets blown up but his daughter barely bats an eyelid!

6) Token scene of her in her underwear....why? Who knows.

7)Does Earth not have any defences? Good to know that all the enemies of Earth have to do is just ram them!

8)Does Stargate command not have any defences? You'd think a gunship wouldn't be allowed to just waltz up and blow the **** out of it.

9) And another thing, why did Khan save the girl at the beginning?

10) Oh and what's up with Old Spock? Good to know he's just hanging about on speed dial, that felt like another token inclusion for fans with no purpose.

6/10 at best. visually stunning and it had good parts, the acting (well Benedict) was good but the story was poo and the end was just rubbish.

1) Transporters have always been susceptible to plot devices, I can't remember the scene you mention, though there was some inconsistency with them being unable to beam the torpedoes to the Vengeance, yet after falling out the sky they were then able to beam Spock down to Earth...

2)Khan was faking when Scotty shot him, he gained nothing from ignoring the shot, whereas he could take them all by surprise if he pretended to be stunned.

3)It was a little OTT especially the "KHAAAAAAAAN" moment, but not that different to the TWOK

4)They should have been in the first film, it was originally written and they should have kept them in. Hopefully the war with the Klingons will see them appear more in the next film

5)The Admiral was dead by the time his ship was destroyed, and she was pretty shocked when Khan crushed his head!

6)Yer, it didn't really fit

7)Star Trek has always had this problem, Earth has no defences and no matter where the issue in the galaxy is occurring it's the Enterprise alone that has to go deal with it. You'd think someone would be wondering why two Starfleet ships are shooting at each other in Earth orbit!

8)See point 7

9)He saved the girl to get her father who was working for Section 31 to transmit the Transwarp Transportation equation to him. The father then dropped the ring in to the glass and blew up the facility.

10) It would make sense that Spock prime would play some senior role in the foundation of New Vulcan, my biggest gripe was that he still goes by the name of Spock, you would think he'd want to keep his origin under wraps to avoid being targeted to get future information

Caporegime
1) Transporters have always been susceptible to plot devices, I can't remember the scene you mention, though there was some inconsistency with them being unable to beam the torpedoes to the Vengeance, yet after falling out the sky they were then able to beam Spock down to Earth...

2)Khan was faking when Scotty shot him, he gained nothing from ignoring the shot, whereas he could take them all by surprise if he pretended to be stunned.

3)It was a little OTT especially the "KHAAAAAAAAN" moment, but not that different to the TWOK

4)They should have been in the first film, it was originally written and they should have kept them in. Hopefully the war with the Klingons will see them appear more in the next film

5)The Admiral was dead by the time his ship was destroyed, and she was pretty shocked when Khan crushed his head!

6)Yer, it didn't really fit

7)Star Trek has always had this problem, Earth has no defences and no matter where the issue in the galaxy is occurring it's the Enterprise alone that has to go deal with it. You'd think someone would be wondering why two Starfleet ships are shooting at each other in Earth orbit!

8)See point 7

9)He saved the girl to get her father who was working for Section 31 to transmit the Transwarp Transportation equation to him. The father then dropped the ring in to the glass and blew up the facility.

10) It would make sense that Spock prime would play some senior role in the foundation of New Vulcan, my biggest gripe was that he still goes by the name of Spock, you would think he'd want to keep his origin under wraps to avoid being targeted to get future information
1) It was a delaying tactic to avoid giving Khan what he wanted

9) He didnt transmit the equation did he? I swear I just saw an 'email' to the Admiral before he died

10) This whole idea sits uneasy with me, it feels like if young Spock cant use logic he just calls up old Spock for help. Massive cop out IMO where in reality he should be attempting to either trust his human side more or to learn lessons from Kirk, having old Spock just doesnt help young Spocks character progression. Old Spock needs to die at the hands of Klingons in the next film!
ps3ud0 :cool:

Commissario
I'm planning on taking the lads to see something appropriately spectacular in their summer hols at the Brum IMAX, is 3d better and worth it at IMAX?? I like the concept of 3d but not the cinieworld execution so hopes are high.

IMAX IMO is leaps and bounds better than standard 3d. I'm no expert on why, but the 2 films I've seen on the IMAX, The Hobbit and Iron man 3 looked amazing.

Associate
The email that went to Admiral Marcus, was to tell him that it was Harrison who did it. The reason London was targeted was so that all star fleet officers would meet in the location they did and maybe another reason too.

Kirk mentions this whilst looking at the security footage during the meeting. Also questions what was in Harrison/Khan's bags.

Soldato
It was alright.

Khan was wasted somewhat, having the potential to be a sympathetic villain, he was just a better-acted Nero - and it felt like they expected you to know who he was from the old films despite these films being for a newer audience. His backstory and motivations weren't fleshed out enough. A pity, because I thought Benedict's performance was great. There was also a whole avenue of eugenics to explore, but it was ignored, although in a way I preferred that because it always ends up with enhanced humans being 'bad', *yawn*.

Marcus was ridiculously stupid in terms of motivation and actions. Paper cut-out bad guy. If you're going to play up a war with the Klingons (which did happen in ToS), at least make the stakes seem plausibly high.

The whole ease of getting into Kronos - wat? This was a recurring theme - Scotty easily getting into the Dreadnaught-class shipyard, nobody coming to check why two ships were blowing up right next to Earth etc etc.

It being brutally obvious the moment they had the Tribble and Khan's blood, that it was a plot device to be used later - hey presto with the flip/reversal of Spock/Kirk. At least they don't have to make the 3rd film The Search For Kirk. You knew there's no way they'd kill him off so early in the franchise. The old ST films came after plenty of TV episodes so had the potential to be more unpredictable.

The Federation being suddenly way more advanced than it was at that point with Transwarp tech etc.

It felt heavily edited and over quite quickly.

A fairly enjoyable no-brainer film, but it just feels like a waste in terms of fleshing out the characters (other than Kirk/Spock), and they really need to come up with more interesting stories.

Oh and Man of Steel trailer in IMAX 3D made me sex-wee a little. I'm praying that for a popcorn blockbuster, it's got some substance, because all the fantastic/superhero/sci fi stuff I've seen this year has been like biting into a donut that looks filled up with jam, only to find a splodge inside.

Back
Top Bottom