First car, £600-700 budget

Soldato
Without wishing to sound condesending it is great to see someone with a very sensible outlook for their first car. Enjoy the ownership of a car for the first time then work your way up not being too bothered by the odd mis-hap with the first one.

I have nothing to add to the very good advice you've been given but would reinforce the point of considering unloved and often more insurable cars than the typical first one people go for. I'm no expert but you may find things like a Mondeo better to insure than a Fiesta or if VW was your thing then something like a Bora can be had for less and probably cheaper to insure than a Polo. They may be hateful to drive for someone with a lot of experience but I've often thought if I was 17 again I'd go for something like an old Hyundai or Daewoo on the basis that they'll be cheap and probably a half decent chance of it staying in one piece for a year for £700.

Associate
i would say get a decent german or jap for starters. find a golf 1.6 or 1.8 for that price insurance is not much different from say a 1.0 yaris.

Associate
Corsa B would be my shout, it was my first car and I could scratch and dent it without crying in a corner. It cost me £250 and last me a year, had some minor problems but they helped me learn about cars.

Other cars you could go for are Clio & Fiesta.

Soldato
OP

Not at all, I have done a fair amount of research leading up to this and am a firm believer that passing my test means I can do exactly that, pass the test. The real learning is continuing to drive after that and everyone I have pretty much spoken to have said they have had the odd prang in their first year and I have been with a fair few mates and ex-girlfriends who have done it whilst I have been in the car!

i would say get a decent german or jap for starters. find a golf 1.6 or 1.8 for that price insurance is not much different from say a 1.0 yaris.

There really is a big difference unfortunately even at my age (28 end of month)

Corsa B would be my shout, it was my first car and I could scratch and dent it without crying in a corner. It cost me £250 and last me a year, had some minor problems but they helped me learn about cars.

Other cars you could go for are Clio & Fiesta.

Seems a corsa has popped up a few times here and was something I initially dismissed due to not looking as good as alternatives at the same price point. Will be something I look into more now though. Not adverse to doing my own work as done a fair bit of mechanic work in the past.

Clio and Fiesta were top of my list to be honest.

Soldato
I always say unless you after looking for something very particular have a search via auto trader or something within 10 miles of your home using your budget as the key search. Then refine it to engine size/insurance.

In that way you will get to see far more cars without travelling for ages to be disappointed. As a first car I doubt you are thinking of resale value so just by the best condition/best looked after car that will fit your insurance needs.

I personally would buy a low mileage, well looked after Punto/Corsa over a higher mileage Fiesta/Clio despite the latter being better cars.

Your first car is unlikely to be something you will plan on keeping for years.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all! Mucho appreciated

Will certainly put a 1.25 fiesta top of my list to aim for when hunting, then whatever is in the best condition really with a decent MOT and Tax to take me to the end of the year.

Currently only really looked on Auto Trader, will look in the local papers for cars there, anyone had any experience with Ebay for a car?

Soldato
OP
Just to update thread, bought the below 1.1 206 on my birthday. £650, MOT til December, had to buy tax though (140 for year). 76k on the clock and apart from a small knock near the front its in good condition inside and out. Extremely happy with it and awesome being able to drive now!

IMG_0079.JPG

Back
Top Bottom