PS4 and Xbox Rumours

Soldato
I can't see them coming with an SSD, no. The costs are far too prohibitive, but hopefully Sony continue to allow us to change the drives ourselves. It'd be nice if MS went that way too, but it doesn't seem to fit how they do things.

Soldato
I can't see them coming with an SSD, no. The costs are far too prohibitive, but hopefully Sony continue to allow us to change the drives ourselves. It'd be nice if MS went that way too, but it doesn't seem to fit how they do things.

Using a USB drive is just as good as changing the internal one.

Caporegime
Well Id hope theyll be using USB 3 and SATA 3 so the practical bandwidth wont be that dissimilar, even though SATA 3 has a higher theoretical. Though once you consider the additional CPU cycles USB needs its hard to not want SATA 3 for storage, its what it was built for...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
Well Id hope theyll be using USB 3 and SATA 3 so the practical bandwidth wont be that dissimilar, even though SATA 3 has a higher theoretical. Though once you consider the additional CPU cycles USB needs its hard to not want SATA 3 for storage, its what it was built for...

There's no reason for them not to use the external hybrid USB3/eSATA ports.

True, sorry i thought he was referencing the 360s ability to utilize external drives in comparison to the PS3s ability to swap drives.

Soldato
Remains to be seen whether they'll allow game installs etc on external drives though. Plus I'd rather not have all sorts of extra drives connected to it.

Did with 360 so it's as likely as Sony letting us change drives again.

Why would you need all sorts of extra drives connected to it though?

Soldato
I mean I'd rather just be able to change the internal drive to whatever I want (e.g. an SSD), than have to connect an external one.

Agreed, Not a fan of external drives really. I dont mind the flash drives, small and compact, if not pricey for a good size.

I imagine they will be large sized drives, they said initially that we will see storage bigger than any console previous. So whats the largest drive currently available? as we can use that as a minimum.

I think the largest HDD in both consoles on the market at the minute is a 320GB.

So I guess we can probably say at a minimum we'll see 500gb drives?

Caporegime
Id thought the same, perhaps if games require a HDD install it wont matter and a slower BD drive is always going to be much quieter for BD playback - sure there be a sweet spot considering price too...

I dont own a BDROM in my PC, how loud are they?

Soldato
OP

Mechanical HDD can't even saturate a Sata 2 interface for thru-put. Sata 3 is only any use for SSDs that can throw out data quick enough.

True, sorry i thought he was referencing the 360s ability to utilize external drives in comparison to the PS3s ability to swap drives.

The 360 is limited to 16gb thru its USB for storage, ain't it?

Caporegime
Yes, I would say that size to begin with. Then 750GB and 1000GB models a year or two down the line.

I think they may release 2 models well sony may anyway judging how the PS3 launched with 2 iirc, as well as all revisions of the console, the recent super slim comes in 2 models a 12GB SSD and a 500GB iirc.

I can only guess here but I suspect it will come with 2 hard drive options and one of them being SSD seeing as the super slim comes with an SSD.

£400 for 500GB HDD and £500 for 120GB SSD version or something like that.

or they will launch 1 model and then add another later, I cannot see them only having 1 model.

Back
Top Bottom