Los Angeles, must see attractions

Associate
Spending a few days in LA soon (never been before) and don't know anyone who has been and I'm looking for interesting things to do out there. What are the most enjoyable things that you did/saw when you were out there? I like photography, so will probably be looking for good opportunities for that.

Also wondering if car hire absolutely essential or is it possible to make do with public transport?

Soldato
Universal Studios
Mann's Chinese Theatre
Hollywood sign/ Observatory (good for photos over city)
Rodeo Drive (if you like fancy shops)
Get a car so you can head out to some nicer places; the beach, Santa Monica etc aren't far I don't think.

Soldato
Hire a car. I hear public transport isn't the greatest in LA, and as bsoltan has already said you'll have a lot more freedom to venture into some of the nicer areas.

Soldato
Griffith Park and Observatory will give you great views and photos out over downtown LA plus some "close-up" photos ops with the Hollywood sign. Good place to be as the sun is going down! If you have time the Observatory is quite cool for a quick visit.

Associate
OP
Thanks, I'll definitely check that out!

E3 would be great, but the timing doesn't quite work out :( Have no idea on the chances of buying my way into the show floor either, can't imagine it's easy at all.

Associate
I lived there for 6 years, apart from crap loads of fantastic food places, its more of a beach hangout place rather than a cool places to check out place. Theres museums, Hollywood, Griffith Park and LA zoo, but unless you are willing to drive lots (public transport is great for short journeys) then you're in the wrong place.

I loved living there by the way.

Associate
The Warner Bros VIP studio tour is great, much better than the universal one. More of a working studio tour than the theme park universal experience. Think it was $50 for a two hour tour that took in a lot of current and classic tv/movie stuff, really interesting and fun tour, couldn't recommend it more!

LA itself didn't seem that good tbh, if you're renting a car I'd head up the coast on the PCH, absolutely stunning drive and some fantastic places to see.

Soldato
If you're into cars then there's a museum in Hollywood with all these awesome cars that were in movies or otherwise just rare (eg thunderbirds car but full size, batmobile, etc). You could go to six flags magic mountain if you like rollercoasters.

Back
Top Bottom