Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Thats a bit of a catch-22 really. If you get a cheap old wreck that weighs a tonne and doesnt work properly, then you wont enjoy it and wont use it much.

Fair comment.

Surely for £100 there must be something half decent I could get off the bay. Clearly the tech on it will be dated, but I thought Hybrids in general were fairly light anyway? (comparable to MB's)

Associate
Fair comment.

Surely for £100 there must be something half decent I could get off the bay. Clearly the tech on it will be dated, but I thought Hybrids in general were fairly light anyway? (comparable to MB's)

It's almost certainly going to be a shonky wreck that won't be fun to ride but if that's all you want to spend then you might be able to find a reasonable carrera subway that won't be entirely unpleasant to ride.

Associate
Hit Cannock up just now and it was awesome, track was super dry and fast running, did the monkey and dog without a single break rest which I never thought i'd be able to do! Got some gopro footage, once i get a chance to edit and upload i'll post ^^

Soldato
I did Lee Quarry this morning, as expected it was mostly an inch of water all over, really doesn't drain well at all. Still great fun though, got some practice in on the tabletops and drops.

Associate
Just been across the road to my local and ridden for the first time in 2 weeks, feels so good to be on a bike again!

Best bit being that the trail fairies have been out, my local woods has about 8 different DH runs on one small side of the hill :D

Caporegime
Guys,

Thinking about changing my drivetrain (causing loads of problems at the moment, and I need a rear cassete, miniumum, anyway).

Been looking at the SLX stuff, the plus stuff.

I assume all I need is;

Slx Shadow PLUS rear Derailleur 10spd
Cassette 10spd
SLX Gear Shifters
New chain

Would this work with my current SRAM front derailleur or would I be aswell spending the £20 and getting a new SLX front too.

Can get the whole lot for £160 so doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Soldato
Cairngorm seems to be the latest ski resort to branch into mountainbiking. They are offering guided descents down from the top station to the car park, car park to aviemore or top station right down to aviemore. I doubt there will be any big purpose-built tracks appearing (like Nevis Range or Lecht) due to the restrictions from being in the national park.

I think it's a bit too extreme for most people on here:
Therefore we would ask that participants should;
Have some experience of mountain biking on off-road trails
Be able to mount a kerb without putting a foot down
Be able to comfortably roll a bike over small drops of 10-15cm high
Be able to tackle uneven and sometimes loose surfaces
Be comfortable riding steep and variable terrain
but maybe something to work towards in the future? :p

more info

Soldato
Guys,

Thinking about changing my drivetrain (causing loads of problems at the moment, and I need a rear cassete, miniumum, anyway).

Been looking at the SLX stuff, the plus stuff.

I assume all I need is;

Slx Shadow PLUS rear Derailleur 10spd
Cassette 10spd
SLX Gear Shifters
New chain

Would this work with my current SRAM front derailleur or would I be aswell spending the £20 and getting a new SLX front too.

Can get the whole lot for £160 so doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Sram front will work no problem there.

Caporegime
Do you know what the issue is? Maybe diagnosing and fixing the problem would be cheaper than just buying a new drivetrain? Unless you got money to burn :D

Been at it for ages now, checked the (high, low and b-screw well infact done this about 3 times now) been through a new chain and we've also changed the links about to see if it was the chain being too long/too short.

The rear cassette was my next thing to replace, checked the rear hanger and to my (and a friends) untrained eye it looks straight.

So really, kinda running out of options.

It just seems to be getting worse too, it will jump gears it can't handle any torque being put through the pedals. Just getting to the point where I'm starting to think **** it replace it! Obviously would rather not spend the cash, half tempted to take it to the bike shop first.

Soldato
Cairngorm seems to be the latest ski resort to branch into mountainbiking. They are offering guided descents down from the top station to the car park, car park to aviemore or top station right down to aviemore. I doubt there will be any big purpose-built tracks appearing (like Nevis Range or Lecht) due to the restrictions from being in the national park.

I think it's a bit too extreme for most people on here:
but maybe something to work towards in the future? :p

more info

Sounds like a great way of getting kids into mountain biking. :)

Soldato
It just seems to be getting worse too, it will jump gears it can't handle any torque being put through the pedals. Just getting to the point where I'm starting to think **** it replace it! Obviously would rather not spend the cash, half tempted to take it to the bike shop first.
How old is the chain?
And how old is the rear cassette, how much wear to the sprocket teeth?

Sounds like it's just not setup correctly, tell tale signs I reckon.

Is the rear mech straight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom