Anyone pay for bank account perks?

Soldato
I don't pay for it, but First Direct give me a fee-free on-demand £1000 overdraft.

If I had a car I'd be all over their First Directory account. Without a car, £15 a month is a bit... crap. But they do now cover iPhones apparently.

Soldato
yup, i pay 6 quid ish a month with lloyds for a few things, i mainly wanted it for the phone insurance...

... tbh, my last 2 phones ive forgot to add :/

i have used them before and they were great, just sent me a 500 quid cheque a day or 2 after they received my incident number. Was really impressed!

Soldato
I was a Lloyds gold customer which used to be £10 a month it went up to £15 iirc so I canceled and went to silver which is now about £10 a month. couldn't even tell you what it gives me bar travel insurance.

Soldato
I'm with First Direct, last time I looked it was a bit pointless for me as the mobile insurance was limited to £250 device cost (+excess??? can't remember, had a new SGS2 at the time so 'worth' ~£500 RRP iirc), and the travel insurance excluded things like scuba diving so when I go on holiday I'd need to pay for other insurance anyway.

Soldato
Got a Natwest Silver account at the moment, mainly for the phone insurance though the other bits are handy as well. Claimed a iPhone 5 shortly after opening the account with no problem at all. Claim in on the Monday and a new phone arrived Wednesday.

Now I have just passed my driving test I will be looking at upgrading my account to the next one up for the breakdown cover

Edit: 4000th post :)

Last edited:
Associate
Thinking of signing up to the Nationwide account too. Figured the same as you that I'd leave £2500 in there to subsidise the cost of the account. £5 a month is then worth it for mobile phone and travel insurance alone.

Also, you can then apply for their select credit card which offers fee-free purchases abroad, which in conjunction with the debit card offering free-free ATM withdrawals, is perfect if you travel a lot.

Associate
I have natwest gold so get all the phone cover, travel insurance, breakdown cover etc. However, it is also a joint account that my girl friend and my bills come out so we both get these perks for one payment of 12 a month, so six quid each.

Soldato
Take a look at the Joint Account benefits, I use Lloyds, had the benefits on my account until I found out that if I changed it to my joint account we both get all the cover, at the same single charge!! Well worth it:D

Associate
I have first directory on my first direct account - mobile insurance has risen recently to £600 and I believe you are now covered for home start on the Breakdown cover so all in all it's pretty good.

Associate
Well my partner and I have a joint Halifax ultimate reward account. We pay one fee and get x2 the benefits for around £12 per month (I think).

Two iPhones covered
Two travel insurance policies
Two... Well you get the picture.

Permabanned
Barclays Current Account Plus - £5.00 a month

Barclays Personalised Cards for free with an image of your choice
Mobile phone insurance for loss, theft and accidental damage (subject to registration)explain
Extended warranty cover for domestic appliancesexplain
Gadget insurance for things like your mp3 playerexplain
Card Secure, enables all cards to be registered and cancelled with one phone callexplain
24/7 legal advice helpline
Barclays loyalty mortgage – get a better mortgage deal (subject to status and availability) 2
Contactless debit cards to make payments easier and faster (subject to status)
Up to £300 a month overdraft

Soldato
Are all banks charging for overdrafts now??

Natwest is charging £6 a month for a planned overdraft, and the only way to get around this is by getting their Select Platinum account, a lot of customers are saying they're going to move from Natwest due to this, but as far as I can see Halifax are charging ONE POUND A DAY for any planned overdraft???????????????

Man of Honour
I pay for barclays, £13.50 and get the usual travel insurance, breakdown cover etc.

Wouldn't mind a cheaper option, but can't be doing with the hassle of switching accounts at the moment!

Soldato
Are all banks charging for overdrafts now??

Natwest is charging £6 a month for a planned overdraft, and the only way to get around this is by getting their Select Platinum account, a lot of customers are saying they're going to move from Natwest due to this, but as far as I can see Halifax are charging ONE POUND A DAY for any planned overdraft???????????????

The only £6 fee I can see that Natwest charge is a daily rate for unarranged overdrafts of more than £6. I have an Advantage Gold account and have never been charged for my overdraft.

http://www.natwest.com/personal/current-accounts/g6/rates-charges/current-charges.ashx

Back
Top Bottom