Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I did a charity swim this morning in hyde parks serpentine,

I understand now why its only open in summer and is generally meant for serious swimmers,

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD IS IT COLD.

was a relay race of which I spent my first 100m splashing around trying to get warm enough to start breathing properly, from then on it was a desperates mix of freestyle strokes to complete my lengths.

Soldato
EVERYONE in Central London wants to kill you and destroy your bike!:mad:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/314893068

old news :o

I did a charity swim this morning in hyde parks serpentine,

I understand now why its only open in summer and is generally meant for serious swimmers,

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD IS IT COLD.

was a relay race of which I spent my first 100m splashing around trying to get warm enough to start breathing properly, from then on it was a desperates mix of freestyle strokes to complete my lengths.

first time out in the wild or something? :D its always cold.. well at the start, thats why i jump head first and forget the "slow crawl into water thing that girls do"

Soldato
Hit 50 miles for the first time today. Doing the 100 mile route London Bikeathon in September so trying to get out on the bike more and gradually increase the distance on a Sunday so I'm in good shape when it comes round.

Slow and nothing compared to what a lot of you guys can do but feels good nonetheless (well sort of :p).

I'm guessing just getting out and about for the next couple months is the best bet for the moment and perhaps in the last month or so I should look at specific speedwork or hill work?

Underboss
outdoor bike cover ??

I got 3 bikes outside , all locked together (1 of them isn't used , and the MTB will be changed for a cycle cross, and my roadie)

so I want a bike cover to cover these bikes, as the Halfords one I have at the moment is crap, its clearly not waterproof as my headset bolt has rust :(

any idea what to get? was looking at the Bike Parka, but doubt its big enough

Soldato
This shows the route http://leukaemialymphomaresearch.org.uk/londonbikeathon?gclid=CPKtjejGorcCFU3KtAodgCIAww. Looks mostly flat with a few hills (including box hill).

My 50 miler was around 14mph, so would be looking at around 7 hours I guess if I could maintain that pace over 100 miles. I'd like to get closer to 6 hours if possible but probably not overly likely. No specific time pressure but obviously want to as best I can.

Most of my rides have been flat but starting to incorporate more hills in and I can feel myself improving. Pretty poor though would be my current assessment.

Soldato
outdoor bike cover ??

I got 3 bikes outside , all locked together (1 of them isn't used , and the MTB will be changed for a cycle cross, and my roadie)

so I want a bike cover to cover these bikes, as the Halfords one I have at the moment is crap, its clearly not waterproof as my headset bolt has rust :(

Could you get a shed? Loads on t'internet if you search.

Soldato
Hit 50 miles for the first time today. Doing the 100 mile route London Bikeathon in September so trying to get out on the bike more and gradually increase the distance on a Sunday so I'm in good shape when it comes round.

Slow and nothing compared to what a lot of you guys can do but feels good nonetheless (well sort of :p).

I'm guessing just getting out and about for the next couple months is the best bet for the moment and perhaps in the last month or so I should look at specific speedwork or hill work?

Good effort.

For what you want to do then you just need to keep getting miles and hills under you belt. Push yourself a little harder with distance or hills each time and you'll smash it. No need for a special plan unless you've got a very specific goal to aim for; the main thing is that you keep riding and enjoy it rather than have it become a chore.

Associate
outdoor bike cover ??

I'd get one of these, or something similar.

This particular one is made of steel, measures 6' x 4', sells for under £200, and is delivered free to certain postcodes.

Sorry I missed your second post, please ignore.

Last edited:
Soldato
read my reply to the other guy, already have a shed, and its full, hence why I need a cover because its stored outside 24/7 , 7 days a week , 365 days a year

If you're handy you could build a small lean to against the shed?

The problem with covering items with a tarpaulin is that the moisture/condensation inside the non breathable fabric can actually make metal rust faster. Metal sheds are just as bad for this sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom