Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
I'm looking to replace the standard 120mm fan with something more efficient.

I have read about replacing the standard fan with the Scythe 120mm SY1225SL12HPVC 4pin adjustable fan but this seems to be discontinued.

Can anyone suggest alternatives ? How about another Scythe or Noctua ?

Which model would work & is there wire swapping involved ?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm looking to replace the standard 120mm fan with something more efficient.

I have read about replacing the standard fan with the Scythe 120mm SY1225SL12HPVC 4pin adjustable fan but this seems to be discontinued.

Can anyone suggest alternatives ? How about another Scythe or Noctua ?

Which model would work & is there wire swapping involved ?

I put a noctua 3 pin fan in mine. No wire swapping involved, but I had to swap the 3 pin connector to a 4 pin connector of the stock fan.

Get a really really skinny flat blade screwdriver and its easy enough to do.

Associate
Jeci - which particular Noctua was that ? RPM ?
Did it improve your temps or noise levels ?

Also by putting in 3 pin does that mean the N40L bios is not be able to control the speed & it will run constantly at full rpm ?

Last edited:
Associate
For those looking to buy one of these, I see the N54L is available at £280 but now with £100 cash-back! Best price so far (I think) for the latest model.

Tempted by this as an upgrade from my N40L now the £100 cashback is on.

My current N40 gets a lot of use as a file server, SQL Server & TFS Server box so any additional horsepower would be handy (although the N40L copes fine).

Anyone know whether the performance difference between the N40L and the N54L would make it a worthwhile upgrade?

Soldato
Tempted by this as an upgrade from my N40L now the £100 cashback is on.

My current N40 gets a lot of use as a file server, SQL Server & TFS Server box so any additional horsepower would be handy (although the N40L copes fine).

Anyone know whether the performance difference between the N40L and the N54L would make it a worthwhile upgrade?

I wouldn't. 4-6 weeks and the Gen8 Microserver will be out.

Back
Top Bottom