Moving to Manchester / Salford

Associate
oh god, I've just looked at the insurance post code risk tables. Mx = BAAD.

yup, there are some really bad areas around. Shame as Salford is being developed a lot with media centre and other places in the Quays, but the problem is still the rough necks that live and hang out a few blocks away.

Cheetham Hill is another tempting area if you work in Salford. Trust me, do not go there it is the worst place (including areas of Liverpool during bad days) that I have lived.

Keep to the south of Manchester. Think of a clock face and anywhere just outside the M60 from 4 - 9 oclock is a good choice generally, but still some rough areas to watch out for.

Soldato
If you can afford it, then move to the city centre and not Salford (regardless of the MediaCity regen effort, it has a while to go yet). Unless you want suburb, in which case Didsbury (parts of) Chrolton-cum-hardy and Fallowfield.

In terms of the city centre itself, you'll find the most bohemian area to be the northern quarter and flats in Ancoats are some of the closest to that area, but be careful as the area is a regenerated one and backs on to some fairly dodgy estates. Aside from that, you can't go too wrong if you look at Castlefield or genuinely central locations such as Spinningfields.

Really, it depends on your budget and what you want from a property. You won't struggle to find a decent 6 month 2 bedroom furnished rental property in the middle of Manchester at the drop of a hat, as long as you have at least £650 pcm (up to around 1000 to get into the luxury market).

Any specific questions just ask, I lived around the centre for nearly 7 years in multiple locations.

Associate
Castlefield. Close enough to walk into town but still "out of it". Also can get the tram to Salford Quays really easily.

I lived there for 2 years when I first relocated with work to Manchester and loved it.

Associate
Salford has great links to the city as a result of the Media City regen, depends on how you want to travel though.

I live in the city and it's fine, same as any city but of course it depends on your location and what goes on around it. I actually do the opposite of most; live in the city and tram it out to Altrincham for work - the transport links in many directions work well.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I lived in Salford (near the Quays) and in Whitefield, both were alright.

Like anywhere, there are good parts and bad parts. Salford does have its good parts, as does Manchester.

If you choose to live in the Altrincham/Sale end of Manchester (no, it isn't in Cheshire no matter how hard you squint) then be prepared for monster traffic!

Man of Honour
If you choose to live in the Altrincham/Sale end of Manchester (no, it isn't in Cheshire no matter how hard you squint) then be prepared for monster traffic!

Really?

My sister in law lived in Sale, as did my old colleague, both of whom had Cheshire postcodes.

Soldato
The traffic is / can be horrendous into Manchester - I live aout 20 odd miles South of Manchester in (mid / proper) Cheshire :p

Takes on average (to be just inside the M60) around 50mins to an hour (to be in for 7.30 to 8.00am) - but saying that into the city centre proper can take that again from the M60

Driving from Didsbury into the Centre proper took almost the same commute I have now

Soldato
Another vote here for Castlefield, I've lived here for the past four years and it's been great. Just far enough out of the absolute city centre that you don't get all the noise, but still definitely close enough to pop into town when you need to. There's great transport links with the Metrolink so close by, so you'll have no problems with your commute.

For a two bed with parking you're looking closer to £750+ for around here though, unless you're looking way in advance or get lucky.

Associate
Wow what a load nonsense in this thread... OHH NO POOR PEOPLE!

I lived in Salford for 5 years & never had any problems or nether did 99% of people I knew. The ones that did, walked about in the poorest area of Salford showing off with iphones etc. I even found most of chav's too be quite nice!
Yes Salford is poor & some areas are grim, eg have a depressing shopping experience at "shopping city" but once again everyone there's very friendly.

But to a young professional Salford offers some good cheap rents
Area where lived for 2 years is a nice up & coming area, flats on Salford side of Irwell are around £100 to £150 cheaper a month! Than those on the city center castlefield side.

The Quays is an overpriced posh ghetto, where snobs like most the posters in this thread can hide from the poor people. Thees no decent pubs & no real community, nice to look at but not to live.

But in all seriousness look around Salford Central rail station, great area & cheap rents and queries feel free to pm me.

Man of Honour
I knew someone would get offended at my post (if it was mine, obviously). No offence was intended but I would never live in the areas I named, especially Salford, Gorton and Longsight.

Associate
Your Cheetham Hill comment was entirely justified as well.

That might have been my comment about Cheetham Hill and I stand by it. Dump.

The problem with Salford is that there are some nice areas and of course nice people. But the few let it down massively. And indeed the richer tend to keep away from the poorer as the divide is much greater and hence the problem. Salford is rapidly becoming a have and have not area much worse than the average place.

It is always good to look at insurance postcode ratings and there is a reason why some of these areas are so high on risk and burying your head in the sand will not make the place any nicer.

I used to work in the area a lot in my early programming days and it is a shame as it does have some really nice areas and people.

Associate
I knew someone would get offended at my post (if it was mine, obviously). No offence was intended but I would never live in the areas I named, especially Salford, Gorton and Longsight.

Gortons not too bad, nice terraced houses, largely young professionals, and families. However the shops on Chester Road, and the Gorton pub are full of gansta wannabe charva scum (who all seem to be from the Trafford side of the road), but these are easily avoided. Longsight is a **** hole. I got bottled when I lived there as a student. Salford is a big place to cover with such a blanket statement however, some areas are ok.

Back
Top Bottom