Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
I'm gonna be breaking my old bike down soon and selling the parts individually.

Do you think it's cheeky of me to go to a local bike shop and ask if he has any spare boxes for shipping the frame and forks etc? I know he probably won't mind but I feel bad for asking for some reason! I think it's mainly because i'm asking him for a favour but not paying him for anything.

Associate
Exactly what I was thinking. They'll probably be glad for me to take it away. I've never been in the shop but from what i've heard he's a nice bloke.

I'll go down this afternoon and ask...the worst he can say is no!

Soldato
Been at it for ages now, checked the (high, low and b-screw well infact done this about 3 times now) been through a new chain and we've also changed the links about to see if it was the chain being too long/too short.

The rear cassette was my next thing to replace, checked the rear hanger and to my (and a friends) untrained eye it looks straight.

So really, kinda running out of options.

It just seems to be getting worse too, it will jump gears it can't handle any torque being put through the pedals. Just getting to the point where I'm starting to think **** it replace it! Obviously would rather not spend the cash, half tempted to take it to the bike shop first.

Could your gear cable could be catching in the cable cover?

My rear mech was sluggish and skipping gears and replacing the cable and spraying some lube down the covers fixed it.

BaJ

BaJ

Associate
Hit Cannock up just now and it was awesome, track was super dry and fast running...

Did a lap of the Chase myself early Sunday. Whilst playing at Stile Cop I stopped for a quick snap which came out alright...

cop.jpg

Caporegime
What exactly happens begbie?

Gears are very clunky, like if I change down and go to put some effort in it seems to skip and the tension goes to nothing causing me to pretty much fall off the pedals.

It's very irrational too, sometimes its fine and sometimes I go to go up a gear and it will go down a gear.

Could your gear cable could be catching in the cable cover?

My rear mech was sluggish and skipping gears and replacing the cable and spraying some lube down the covers fixed it.

Going to replace the gear cable tomorrow, worth a bash.

How old is the chain?
And how old is the rear cassette, how much wear to the sprocket teeth?

Sounds like it's just not setup correctly, tell tale signs I reckon.

Is the rear mech straight?

Chain is brand new, first thing I changed. I have (well a mate has) set up the indexing a few times now. Checked the rear hanger and it seems straight.

The cassette is old, well as old as the bike (4 years old) Not sure if it's worn or how to even tell unfortunately.

BaJ

BaJ

Associate
Half of Cannock is closed for felling operations and trail maintenance isn't it, diversions everywhere?

It was, but the Monkey is fully open now as of last week. Two of the new sections are fairly decent - Pot of Gold and Rollercoaster.

There's still a diversion on the Dog mind but it's quite small, it's the High Voltage section down to the train line.

Associate
Right begbie I think your problem lies with the cassette, did the problem become worse after putting the new chain on?

Can you take a picture of the rear cassette sprockets where the problem usual occurs and post it in this thread please

Soldato
Slipping between gears will be fixed with the new cable. Slipping under load whilst in gear is usually something worn too far compared to the rest of the drivetrain.

Pics of the front chainrings would help too because if you have run the same chain for 4 years then it can get nasty.

I plan on getting up to Cathkin Braes tomorrow after work with my workmate on his cross bike. Should be fun whatever happens.

Soldato
It's always the way, fitted the new SLX mech and went to refit the gear cable and it started fraying. Now the bike is out of action until i get a new cable.

Associate
Gears are very clunky, like if I change down and go to put some effort in it seems to skip and the tension goes to nothing causing me to pretty much fall off the pedals.

It's very irrational too, sometimes its fine and sometimes I go to go up a gear and it will go down a gear.

Going to replace the gear cable tomorrow, worth a bash.

Chain is brand new, first thing I changed. I have (well a mate has) set up the indexing a few times now. Checked the rear hanger and it seems straight.

The cassette is old, well as old as the bike (4 years old) Not sure if it's worn or how to even tell unfortunately.

This sounds like you need to replace your cassette. If you have had the old chain and cassette on for a while and there both worn heavily replacing the chain will make the problem worse.

It is wise to change the cassette and chain at the same time if they are both very old and worn.

Soldato
I'm hoping to head up to either Carron Valley or Cambusbarron tonight for a spin.. Looks like its going to be another sunny day :)

It's been a lovely day around here!

Managed to pedal up to Cathkin Braes after work tonight.

I like the finished product as it wasn't as nice when I was last up. Couple or PR on the rocky sections as far as I can see but lap times are crap.

First lap I bumped into a guy that worked in the shop a few times at the bottom of the descent, his freehub body was gubbed so chatted to him for a bit. That lap I got traffic on the bermy section after the rocks so wasn't flat out. Probably a good thing as it had a fair bit of loose gravel.

Lap two I bumps into said chap again at the very first rocky section at the wind turbine, I take his number and arrange that I may go pick him up later. Got to the descent feeling good that I knew the line better until my chain device decides it doesn't like holding the chain on. Chucked the bike about 6 foot then hammered it with a rock/stood on it, must have been fun to watch, and I was good to go again.

Was a good wee pedal after work and I squeezed in a corona and a tea cake whilst picking up moneys from my brother in Hamilton :D

Gav

Gav

Associate
It's been a lovely day around here!

Managed to pedal up to Cathkin Braes after work tonight.

I like the finished product as it wasn't as nice when I was last up. Couple or PR on the rocky sections as far as I can see but lap times are crap.

First lap I bumped into a guy that worked in the shop a few times at the bottom of the descent, his freehub body was gubbed so chatted to him for a bit. That lap I got traffic on the bermy section after the rocks so wasn't flat out. Probably a good thing as it had a fair bit of loose gravel.

Lap two I bumps into said chap again at the very first rocky section at the wind turbine, I take his number and arrange that I may go pick him up later. Got to the descent feeling good that I knew the line better until my chain device decides it doesn't like holding the chain on. Chucked the bike about 6 foot then hammered it with a rock/stood on it, must have been fun to watch, and I was good to go again.

Was a good wee pedal after work and I squeezed in a corona and a tea cake whilst picking up moneys from my brother in Hamilton :D

I ended up at Cambusbarron. Its an awesome place with trails going in all directions.. It wasnt a particularly long ride but the views, the weather and the roots and rocks sure made up for it.. :) Sauchie crag is a real challenge.. Even the pros have to walk some of it :)

http://app.strava.com/activities/55539825

Cambusbarron:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4QUinBXIHw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6S-lf_h3qY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgYqhAuRmTk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b4lcv-dE_Y

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom