Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
About time! What's the ETA?

Nothing from UPS yet as it's not hit their depot, but Canyon say it can be up to 8 days.

6 years probably

It feels like it...

No wonder my bike was skidding around the road :eek:

I think you got off and walked personally. I reckon that's why you hung back and then you put on a show of climbing up that last bit. I'm sure you weren't even out of breath. ;)

Last edited:

InQ

InQ

Associate
[Damien];24322196 said:
Just do it!

The hill me and Pete climbed last night was fun, even though while doing it it completely and utterly sucked. I had sweat dripping off the inside of my glasses and snot trailing out of my nose. I couldn't take my hands off the handlebars to sort either of them though because I was pulling on the bars with all my might just to have something to anchor myself against to keep the momentum up.

The stats make it look similar to Moor Rd/Anglezarke, is that a fair assessment in reality?

Associate
I think you've waited too long now Damien, I'd phone and cancel.

Haha, yeah. I'll wait until it turns up and then send it back. In all seriousness though, if it still wasn't here in time for the tour of the peak it'd be getting cancelled. If they force me to climb all those hills on my current bike, and I do, then I obviously don't need a new one.

The stats make it look similar to Moor Rd/Anglezarke, is that a fair assessment in reality?

It depends which side of Anglezarke you mean. If you mean Moor Rd from the south, then Moor Rd is more intense but because the incline's fairly constant you can get a rhythm going. Foxholes is just murder with gradient changes, windy bits and loose tarmac/potholes. It's hard to keep momentum up. I've got a pretty similar average speed on both of them though so I'd say they're comparable, yeah.

Foxholes is one of those where you round a bend thinking you're almost done and then you see a steeper bit up ahead. It's demoralising. I'll be far better prepared next time though.

Last edited:
Associate
It's not about being able to climb them, it's about doing it more quickly/efficiently on a lighter bike!:D

True but it's the cowards way out ;)

I'm only getting a new one now because I was seduced by their website, and I'm at the point where improving my power:weight ratio is getting increasingly hard due to already having comedy thighs, but dodgy lungs. I also love cake too much.

Caporegime

The profile of Foxholes is more like the Rake in Ramsbottom, if you've done that, in that you do most of it at a reasonably steady 7-8% and then just when you think you're going to die you get hit with a final stretch at 20%, give or take (worse on the Rake, not quite as bad on Foxholes).

Moor Road from the Rivington side goes up steeply , has a big flat bit, and then has another reasonably steep bit. From the Chorley side, Moor Road goes up brutally, and then levels off a bit.

Given you stormed up Moor Road from the Chorley side, I'd say you'd be fine on Foxholes, but yeah, watch out for the last bit of it.

Soldato
Hello all, can anyone suggest a spec of handbuilt wheels to rival my current mavic ksyrium SL (2006). They need to be suitable for a heavy rider (90kg+) and ideally black as my bike is all black so would suit nicely.

My current wheels ping when putting force down on a hill, they are true but the spokes have corroded in to the rim making it impossible to remove and oil to prevent the noise.

Associate
Hello all, can anyone suggest a spec of handbuilt wheels to rival my current mavic ksyrium SL (2006). They need to be suitable for a heavy rider (90kg+) and ideally black as my bike is all black so would suit nicely.

Someone on here suggested Open Pro rims on 105/Ultegra when I was looking for new wheels. I'm around 90kg and the 32h Open Pro/105 set I picked up have taken a hell of a lot of abuse since I've had them. I've bounced over countless potholes and even jumped off the odd kerb like a bmx when the mood took me.

Soldato
Something like H+Son Archetype with black hubs + black spokes might be what you are looking for.

£400 would get you 1600g wheels with decent hubs I reckon.

edit: at 90kg maybe 32h/32h at the expense of a bit more weight would be a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom