Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I'm trying to come up with a route that takes in some roads I've not ridden on, over one of the big hills near us. Slightly concerned that the Google Streetview camera hasn't made it along those roads, and all the photos that it links to instead show massive puddles across the whole road, which looks to be made of hideously uneven cobbles... Not sure that'd be the best idea on skinny tyres.

Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:
Associate
Good run, and well done on the KOM. Have you done Grane Road and come back up Roman Road? Good long steady climbs, those.

Ta mate, nope ive never done grande road and roman road. It was good to go somewhere a little different than usual today, i need to get out exploring a bit more

Caporegime
Ta mate, nope ive never done grande road and roman road. It was good to go somewhere a little different than usual today, i need to get out exploring a bit more

Try a route like this. Not sure exactly where you live, but you could easily adapt the start and end of that if you're somewhere in Bolton. Lots of climbing and a good distance. It takes you very close to the infamous Ramsbottom Rake as well, if you fancy it.

Caporegime
[Damien];24326586 said:
Just so you know Pete, it's a no go for tomorrow night for me. Forgot I had a driving lesson.

Ah, no worries. I'll go exploring and find something for us to do next time.

Have fun driving. Try not to crash into me when I'm out in the middle of the road :D

Last edited:
Associate
The latest Strava challenge is becoming a real chore, and is beginning to put me off cycling all together.

While I don't plan to do any more until my knee's sorted out, I'll definitely be more selective when I choose challenges in the future.

Are there any alternatives to Strava's challenges that are less demanding on ones time?

Associate
Endomondo offers custom challenges.

Or maybe just set yourself your own targets? There's no sense in signing up for a challenge you'll struggle with if you're going to beat yourself up over it.

Once my knee's sorted I'll probably join a club, I think this is the way forward for me. I'm getting bored riding solo all of the time, I'm sure riding in a group is the next step for me. Then I'll look too invest in a decent bike and start doing some sportives next year.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm trying to come up with a route that takes in some roads I've not ridden on, over one of the big hills near us. Slightly concerned that the Google Streetview camera hasn't made it along those roads, and all the photos that it links to instead show massive puddles across the whole road, which looks to be made of hideously uneven cobbles... Not sure that'd be the best idea on skinny tyres.

Back to the drawing board.

Just imagine you're racing over pavé!

Soldato
Woo' just back from my 50km loop. Tried out the Endura 3/4 lengths again.

More comfortable than straight out the bag, but the crotch fit isn't quite right for me, too big in some areas and not tight enough in others. They are nice and warm and well made, but I wouldn't buy them again simply because my other bibs fit better. Not so bad to make me sell them on, but I prefer my Assos and Castellis, not tried Rapha.

It felt like I worked hard on the climbs, wasn't too far off my PB times on all of them all which was a good sign, wind wasn't pushing me up one to get a PB and holding me back on another.

I felt tired on the bike, but once I got home I felt worn, but not exhausted like I used to. Maybe my overall strength isn't increasing much, but my recovery time must definitely be improving and endurance.

Uploaded to Strava and looking at my past times, 6 minutes quicker than I was at the start of April! Huge difference! Ridden 2500km to date this year, which is more than I did in all of 2012 already.

With regards to upgraded wheels, I'm still procrastinating about buying some.

Shimano Ultegras are ~200
Shimano C24 are ~300 (most reviews say buy these if you can afford the extra 100 over Ultegras..)
Dura Ace are ~500

Now I would ideally like to build myself a new bike at some point this year, and would like to use Ultegra 11 speed when it is released. Only the Dura Aces have 11 speed hubs, but does anyone know if the new Ultegra 11 speed will be backwards compatible with the older Dura Ace. I would expect so, but don't want to find out otherwise, details may not even have been released yet...

I'm approximately 175lb (and will stay that way), the roads can be quite rough, and riding in a bunch sometimes you do hit something hard if its not pointed out. I don't want to turn them into a wobbly wheel first time out....

I can hear the rear R500 wheel has started to ping occasionally when climbing, I don't want to pop a spoke and end up stuck having to have it replaced as it will cost $$$$ over here which could go towards a new set of better wheels.

Last edited:
Associate
So, I have a day off, been looking forward to a mid week ride for ages. And therefore the weather gods have seen fit to send torrential showers and hail. It's also freezing. Rule #5 or a cup of tea and a film?!!!

Caporegime
Now I would ideally like to build myself a new bike at some point this year, and would like to use Ultegra 11 speed when it is released. Only the Dura Aces have 11 speed hubs, but does anyone know if the new Ultegra 11 speed will be backwards compatible with the older Dura Ace. I would expect so, but don't want to find out otherwise, details may not even have been released yet...
QUOTE]

I would be very surprised if not, Shimano are usually excellent on backwards compatability.

Soldato
Had a practice ride on the tandem last night http://app.strava.com/activities/55723728

Started out without adjusting the seat and we were very slow, soon as we stopped to adjust and got a bit more used to it we were flying.

Less nervous about doing 100 miles on it now.

Tandems are crazy.

What happens on hills if one person wants to stand and the other sit?

Do you need to cadence match each other or one person ends up doing the bulk of the work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom