Alfa Romeo GT - Good Idea?

Associate
I keep looking at a different car. I currently have an 09 Fiesta Titanium with 65k Miles. I do lots of motorway driving and want something more comfortable.

Keep looking at Mazda 6 / BMW 320D / Mondeos.

However the following has popped up for not a whole lot more money than my Fiesta. Should I consider buying?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201305066618708

Anything to watch out for on these cars?

Soldato
Electrics, rust ...

A friend had one of these for a while from new. Fortunately for him it was a company car so he always had something else available for the many times his was in the garage.

If you're mechanically competent then worth a pop as its a pretty car and was apparently really fun to drive, but steer well clear if you're not.

Soldato
The alfaowners forum is a great place to get advice on these. That one seems very pricey, you can get them that year for about 5k.

The 1.9JTDm is a pretty hardy lump as long as you get the cambelt and water pump changed every 60k. The one you are looking at has done ridiculously low mileage for a diesel. That is likely to create more problems than a high mileage one.

It isn't a bad car, based quite heavily on the 156 after all the revisions. Personally I never liked the shape of the GT in comparison to the old GTV.

I wouldn't have one in diesel either, for me it would have to be the 3.2 V6. Blackline's are the most sort after.

Last edited:
Soldato
They're not actually all that to drive, I prefer the 159 / 156 / 147 but not sure why tbh. There is something about them that isn't very....alfa-ish

If I was going to buy one I'd probably just spend half the cash and pick up a petrol model.

Soldato
They're not actually all that to drive, I prefer the 159 / 156 / 147 but not sure why tbh. There is something about them that isn't very....alfa-ish

If I was going to buy one I'd probably just spend half the cash and pick up a petrol model.

Agreed, their seem to be a mass rush for the 1.9 diesel which kind of defeated the object of a coupe.

I don't think it will go down as an Alfa Classic.

Associate
I really like these, but a work colleague had one and had endless minor things go wrong with it. One that sticks in my mind is something tiny breaking loose on the headlamp meaning the bulbs couldn't be changed.

Associate
But youre not a car enthusiast until youve owned one.

that statement is only true of the non GM V6's and the boxer engined Alfas, all the rest are garbage IMO

I've owned 4 BTW, 3 proper ones and a 156 JTS Lusso

they've always been rusty and electrically marginal, but at least those engines had character.

Soldato
that statement is only true of the non GM V6's and the boxer engined Alfas, all the rest are garbage IMO

I've owned 4 BTW, 3 proper ones and a 156 JTS Lusso

they've always been rusty and electrically marginal, but at least those engines had character.

I was just spouting Clarkson garbage

Associate
Are you sure about the rust?

The 156 suffers from rust around the front wheel arches apparently, but no reports of a similar affliction for the 147 or GT yet, both of which are based on the same platform.

I own a 147 GTA, so my position is not neutral, but I do think the more recent alfas (156 onwards) are disproportionately criticised. Granted they're not perfect but most people manage to own them without anything out of the ordinary occuring.

Personally I wouldn't get a 156/147/GT without the Busso V6 as the cars aren't remarkable enough without it when compared to the competion. I certainly wouldn't recommend a 1.9JTDm.

Soldato
The 159 is as good as any other car in its price range, the 156/GT was not there yet, but the mechanical bits and corrosion will be fine. Electronics outside the engine bay and suspension not so much.

A problem I had later on with the 156 was that Alfa patterned the suspension bushes out after the GT ceased production. You don't seem to be able to get good ones now, and they eat up the front upper wishbone inner joints. I did try polybushes in that joint and they were crap, not meant for so much movement.

The GT possibly will become a classic as it was the last car produced with the Busso V6. The dervs will never be classics.

Man of Honour
DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS MAN. He has (possibly unfounded?) irrational Alfa hatred. :p

I like the GT. Been eyeing them up as a distant future replacement for my V6 406 Coupe.

It'd have to be the 3.2 or nothing for me, mind.

But the linked car is a diesel, I'd always thought that part of the reason why you put up with the idiosyncrasies of an Alfa was because you had a nice sounding and performing V6 to make it feel worthwhile. If you absolutely love the shape and the style then maybe a diesel is fine but personally I think I'd feel like I'd cheated myself out of a major reason for getting an Alfa.

Back
Top Bottom