How to brew your own beer - The All Grain method

Associate
Maybe you could try and get some computer parts from that OcUK website I've heard is all the rage around here.

(whispers quietly "check my location") ;)

And yeah, we've just done our first all grain for about two months a couple of nights ago. Just seemed not to have had any easy opportunities to do a six+ hour mash/boil/cool.

Man of Honour
(whispers quietly "check my location") ;)

And yeah, we've just done our first all grain for about two months a couple of nights ago. Just seemed not to have had any easy opportunities to do a six+ hour mash/boil/cool.

Yeah. I said that because of your location :p

I really do want to do a brew...I'll have to try and make some time for it.

Associate
My concoction for tonight:

Just thought I would do a really simple brew when I got home from work tonight.

Beer is set to be 5%

Marris otter: 5.691kg

Challenger: 50g 60min
Challenger: 20g 10 min
Falconer's Flight pellet: 20gish (just threw some in with the challenger) 10min

Profaloc tablet to finish.

Ferment will be with S-04 at 20C

Any opinions?

Associate
I think it will be good, I did a simple Ale a few months ago..

Made 21l @ 6.1%

5kg Golden Promise
0.25kg Crystal

90mins 50g Northdown @7.54AA
5mins 10g Northdown @7.54AA

10g Irish moss @ 20mins

Safale S-04

It turned out excellent.

Associate
Brew finished, 19L which im a bit gutted about but it was very frothy, might increase the volume as the bubbles pop.

pitching the yeast tomorrow and measuring the OG when the temperature has equalised in the water bath.
I hope its near 5% otherwise ill be gutted.

Associate
When I first tried batch sparging my efficiency went from about 85% (fly sparging) to about 68%.

I started mashing in at 2l water to 1kg grain max to reach 66°C then after mash time is complete top it up with water at 85-90°C to bring the mash up to 70-75°C, return the first few runnings whether it needs it or not.

For the 2nd sparge I add the hot water at about 85°C which should bring the mash up to 75°C+.

If I have not collected enough wart I just add the amount I need of water to the mash at 85°C.

This gets me 75-78% efficiency. I might try upping the temp of the water added to get the mash temp up to 77-80°C for both sparges to see if I can get closer to fly sparging.

Associate
Ok, so we've made a hop filter this weekend, and just done our first brew using it. Cost just over £6 in materials plus a bit more for some round files.
Seems to have worked pretty well, but we have lost slightly more wort to the hops. Still, we'll adjust to get around that, and hopefully it might mean we get more beer from the fermenter rather than losing it to sludge at the bottom of the fermenter.
Can't wait to try it.

Associate
Oooh, shiney. Are you using it with a corny?
Brilliant there's a bit of life in this thread again. I know we've not done all grain for almost a couple of months. But I suppose that can just happen with anything.

Associate
So just barreled our first brew using the hop filter, and it seems to have a bit less crud in the fermenter and be slightly clearer out of the fermenter. Tastes pretty good too, which is always a bonus.
And brilliant on the beer pump. Don't think I can justify one (or can think of anywhere to put it) for us, even though it sounds amazingly cool.

Associate
Looks very tasty that one. We've got malt and hops to do a wit as it seems a great beer for warmer weather, but I'm a bit iffy on if the Munich yeast we've got is suitable. What yeast did you use?

Back
Top Bottom