Having issues changing oil

Soldato
I'm having some difficulties changing the oil on my Golf (Mk4 2.8L 4motion) and wondered if anyone could help..

Let's start simple: is this the oil filter housing? :p (view is from the front)

Assuming that it is, and I'm not being a total muppet (not entirely out of the question), then my 6mm hex key should fit nicely into the oil drain plug and unscrew it.

Unfortunately, when I came to it this afternoon it was pretty rounded off inside and none of my 6mm hex keys would turn it without destroying it.
I found a quarter inch hex bit which I made fit with the aid of a hammer (slightly too large, obviously) and despite being hammered in a good 5mm, again it failed to turn it, instead slowly destroying the socket.

I now don't know how I'm going to get this thing off (or back on again). If I get some molegrips on the black hex surround, will it destroy it? Would it even help? :confused:

Any thoughts/suggestions etc gratefully received (preferably something I can action tomorrow before having to take it off the stands).

Soldato
OP
36mm? Will pop to Halford's and get one then :p
Yeah so slight muppetry then on my part. Having the right tools always helps..

The oil filter is contained within the housing. It doesn't just screw in like the ones I'm used to!

Associate
Be careful when undoing it though as a good ammount of oil will drop out as you haven't been able to undo that drain plug and drain the filter housing. I'd personally get a replacement cover before attempting this so you know you are fine next time.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice/links etc guys.
I seem to be having difficulty finding a replacement oil filter housing drain plug in the UK. Found one in the US but postage is about £30 :/
Not much luck with the oil filter housing cap thing either, but I perhaps shouldn't need another of those..

I think my best bet for finding a replacement drain plug is to contact VW on Tuesday and see if they'll sell me one for not silly money.

In terms of sockets, is it worth splashing out on the Halfords Professional set? The appealing alternative being the cheapo socket linked to by mgsdetail ;)
I already have the 150 piece set (although it's clearly inadequate!)

Soldato
Bring back the old canister filters I say, lol. Some muppet dealer rounded off my sump plug a few services ago and it was a complete nightmare not just getting it out but then ordering a replacement.

I ended up having to stick it back in whilst the new came in and fighting with it again whilst losing a good amount of oil during replacement.

Just wish they could be more careful.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bring back the old canister filters I say, lol. Some muppet dealer rounded off my sump plug a few services ago and it was a complete nightmare not just getting it out but then ordering a replacement.

I ended up having to stick it back in whilst the new came in and fighting with it again whilst losing a good amount of oil during replacement.

Just wish they could be more careful.

Yeah, fortunately I've got the luxury of time to wait for parts since I didn't manage to start my oil change.. :p

Soldato
I had to get a 36mm socket for my sisters mini, just get one off ebay for a fiver, not the best quality but perfectly fine for an oil change.

Back
Top Bottom