** Retina MBP Haswell Version **

Permabanned
So we all know this will be coming shortly. What do you want from the device?

What I am hoping is that they will drop discrete graphics this time on the 15" as well as the 13" but only if they go for the full GT3e version of Haswell. This will give us current 650m type performance all the time but with better battery.

More on that:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6926/intel-iris-iris-pro-graphics-haswell-gt3gt3e-gets-a-brand

Apart from that I love the current form factor and screen. They could put a next generation SSD in as well but not essential.

I will be ordering the 15" with 16Gb and 512Gb SSD.

Cannot wait.

Soldato
I hope they update the iMacs and Mac Pros or i'll probably jump ship again to building a PC. I have no use for a laptop anymore but i hope they do update the line.

jb7

jb7

Associate
I'm selling my 15" rMBP on ebay this week. Hopefully I'll get more for it as most people don't know the new one is coming

Stuck using a windows laptop since then.. it's so painful. Why a windows OEM can't make a decent trackpad is beyond me. Not an amazing one, just a decent one

Though if Apple release 1920x1200 Macbook Airs.. I could be tempted to get one of those instead (but knowing them, they'll go 1440x900 again)

Thug
Soldato
I'm selling my 15" rMBP on ebay this week. Hopefully I'll get more for it as most people don't know the new one is coming

Stuck using a windows laptop since then.. it's so painful. Why a windows OEM can't make a decent trackpad is beyond me. Not an amazing one, just a decent one

Though if Apple release 1920x1200 Macbook Airs.. I could be tempted to get one of those instead (but knowing them, they'll go 1440x900 again)

My asus trackpad is excellent, lots of gesture based movements.

Oh and it cost sub £260.

jb7

jb7

Associate
My asus trackpad is excellent, lots of gesture based movements.

Oh and it cost sub £260.

I'm on my new Asus vivobook whilst I sell my rMBP. Cost £400, and the trackpad is still rubbish :D

Trackpad size is decent (not great), cursor has a tendency to stick and then jump half way across the screen. Gestures are hit and miss

Also it's Windows 8, so it'll perform gestures even when you don't want it to

I'm yet to come across a windows OEM that gets this even slightly right. Apparently the new Samsung ones are decent, but they're not out yet

Soldato
I'm also going to be ordering the new Retina MacBook this year - However, with regards to the Haswells graphics performance - I'll believe it when I see it. I'm sure it's much better than the previous generation of processor, but I just can't see it being as good as they say (in laptops at least).

Soldato
They probably won't match something like the 650m exactly, but the GT3e will have similar performance. The main benefit will be massively improved battery and a much cooler system. The 15" seems to have trouble keeping itself cool when gaming.

Soldato
I've been waiting a year for this MacBook refresh. I wanted the Retina MBP when it was released in June 2012, but didn't want to be a beta tester for ~£1500.

Still slightly undecided between the 13" and 15", but I'm leaning towards the 15" unless the 13" gets a quad-core CPU and 16GB RAM (very unlikely).

Hurry up 10 June!

Soldato

Or why can't they just put Windows on them, maybe with a few wallpapers, and thats it. None of their bloatware rubbish. Hugely annoying.

Permabanned
OP
I've been waiting a year for this MacBook refresh. I wanted the Retina MBP when it was released in June 2012, but didn't want to be a beta tester for ~£1500.

Still slightly undecided between the 13" and 15", but I'm leaning towards the 15" unless the 13" gets a quad-core CPU and 16GB RAM (very unlikely).

Hurry up 10 June!

What do you mean beta tester?

Soldato
What do you mean beta tester?

I'm not a big fan of 1st generation products. There were lots of reports of the retina MBPs (15" in particular) having creaky cases, and I think hinges too.

In addition, the LG screens proved to be problematic due to their image retention issues.

I'm not naive enough to think that the refreshed Retina MBPs won't have issues, but in terms of risk I think the 2nd generation will be the better option.

Soldato
Hopefully they won't have any LG screens for the 2nd gen. :)

But I know what you mean, often with a totally new product, you spend the first few month with all of the little problems before its exactly right.

Back
Top Bottom