Virgin Media & YouTube - Throttling.

Soldato
120MB here, struggling to load any quality of vid on YT.

Getting this a lot too.

9qwbqf.jpg

Got exactly the same thing, if it even loaded it was incredibly slow.

on 120MB also in fife, speedtest gives me 125MB so the connection is fine.

I'll try some of the fixes listed above, I thought it was just my connection last night.

Associate
If I download the video, it starts at full speed then drops to 130-140kb/s.

If I press pause/resume on the download it boosts it back to full speed for 5 seconds. So I can download at full speed by pausing/resuming all the time...

Associate
Not sure why I have to use a proxy to view youtube videos.

This has only happened since they was doing some work in the local area around 6 days ago since then its been going on and off, youtube won't work but I can stream 720p elsewhere.

And they didn't mention that I was still capped to 20mb even though everybody was upgraded to 30mb.

What i've just found is that if you use https:// at the start it will load normally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHLAXEUCdiQ

Associate
Phoned Virginmedia earlier on this afternoon and got the usual. "Have you restarted your router" blah blah blah". I asked if they were throttling traffic on youtube and he said no as if they were then they would inform customers.

Associate
i was about to start a thread on here about this. i get the error message pic too...this has been happening since last week, on 60mb also tried every solution in this thread and i still get the same :(

Associate
Same issue. Had it for the past week.
I've noticed that youtube reports that i've been getting 20mb download, using their speed tester thingy. That makes no sense.
I've also noticed a LOT of dropped frames on videos.

Changing to Google DNS hasn't helped either.

Associate
I was looking for some help VPNing an american key for blood dragon and dropped on this. I was about to move the router thinking it was a wireless issue. Its been going on for a week. I know this thread is related to youtube issues, which we're having but the major bummer is online gaming. Whenever I try playing TF2 or CSS any server I join Im getting 50-60 ping (as opposed to 20-30) and after the first few minutes spikes up into the hundreds for half a minute at a time, even at 50 ping it feels like the connection is really struggling for brief intervals.

Anyone else having trouble with games? The issue correlates directly into the timeframe of issues with youtube. Again, thought it was a hardware/wireless issue on my end.

Soldato
I was looking for some help VPNing an american key for blood dragon and dropped on this. I was about to move the router thinking it was a wireless issue. Its been going on for a week. I know this thread is related to youtube issues, which we're having but the major bummer is online gaming. Whenever I try ........

Won't be a youtube caching issue, most likely you're either in an oversubscribed/busy area or have a fault with your connection. Best bet is to head to the VM forums or cableforum.co.uk forums.

BuZ

BuZ

Associate
OP
Tonight is actually becoming unreal for the amount of lag on YouTube. It is obviously VM.

Their network handle 1Gb/s?

Hmm, yes. Maybe Negative 1Gb/s.

Loading a song is like loading webpages on dial-up.

Last edited:
Soldato
To be honest I've had this problem for a long while. Its gotten to the stage where I dont even try to watch youtube vids. I just jdownloader them in seconds instead. Much easier then sitting there waiting for something to buffer that never will...

Associate
Keeps amusing me that Virgin underspend on their network yet they just signed a deal with Sky to provide 10gbit backhaul links so there is spare capacity around....

Associate
Simplest fix for those using the superhub is to add the following to your host file

127.0.0.1 *.sn-8pgbpohxqp5-h5os.c.youtube.com

It's in /Windows/System32/Drivers/etc/hosts and you'll need to run any editor with admin privileges on Windows 8 to save it.

Once done it will by-pass the youtube cache proxy that VM seem to have failed to implement correctly.

*EDIT* Make sure to clear your browser cache or some videos may not work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom