ps3 outsells 360

Soldato
I think it was since last December or Winter 2012 that I heard PS3 finally took over 360 worldwide sales. But if that's to be trusted (I mean it's VGChartz, not my personal trusted source tbh), then not to surprising if sales numbers have been keeping it up.

Main U.S market is where the 360 gets the larger majority of it's sales, whereas the rest of the world, PS3 has usually been in the lead.

Take a hint Microsoft, there is a bigger world outside of Murika /takes jab at XBO U.S centric conference. :p

Of course, Nintendo and Wii is still Numbah Uno! :D

Associate
Apparently there has only been about 1m xbox 360's sold in Japan, so not surprising the PS3 has sold more overall considering how small the Xbox market share is there.

Soldato
I would like to see the actual owners numbers rather than the sales figures, as I'm not sure how accurate the sales figure tells the story. Xbox has had its numbers majorly hiked up with the RROD and the playstation has had the YLOD to help its numbers.

Its some money going into consoles gaming, I myself have over 20 titles for the PS3, countless number of PS1 and PSN games titles. So IF I only had one PS3 console, and that YLOD on me. I would certainly get another rather than think that was fun, now what do I do with all the games.

Also, not sure how many PS3s are actually used for gaming, the people that I know mainly have xbox's for gaming and if they do have a ps3 as well. That is mainly used as a multimedia system, something that M$ are trying to get into with their xbone.

Associate
I would like to see the actual owners numbers rather than the sales figures

Sadly I don't think we'll ever truly know. But I agree that info would be great.

I do know one thing though, since their launch my Wife and I have owned 6 Xbox's between us and only 1 PS3. And none of those systems have ever broken we've just upgraded or traded in.

Caporegime
The RROD problem was hitting 20-30% of consoles at one point, YLOD was less then 1%

i would say RROD hit 75% of consoles manufactured within the first year or two.

we are now on our 6th, and i know people who have been through multiples too, not just 2 or 3.

we have actually had 5 die on us, to say it hits 20-30% either means we were extremely unlucky or those figures are completely wrong, obviously MS would want to try and keep the figure as low as possible and wouldn't publish the real figures imo.

Soldato
Caporegime
How many bought it purely as a Blueray player? My PS3 hasn't seen a game since I first got it. Just Bluerays, iPlayer and Netflix.

well originally blu ray players were extremely expensive and didn't guarantee updates to future blu ray spec's or hdmi spec's.

the ps3 overcame a lot of this because it's firmware was updated regularly and therefore so was the firmware of the blu ray player.

so this was actually a smart move, but recently blu ray players can be bought for peanuts, therefore no longer a smart move unless you actually use the console side.

Soldato
Do people still care about sales? As long as the games I like to play exist, I will buy them, regardless of the console they're on. I don't enjoy them more or less knowing it's on the best (or worst!) selling console.

I would have missed out on some serious classics if I didn't own the PS3 and a Wii. I missed some games I would have enjoyed on the Xbox - but finances nix'd that one.

Soldato
Do people still care about sales?

Yes as competitive sales prevent stagnation of the industry. Look at the PS4; Sony and developers are constantly harping on about how they approached the PS4 development differently as a result of its decline in success in comparison to the PS2. A large part of that will be due to the increased competition from both Nintendo and Microsoft.

Soldato
I just feel like it's not our job to care. I'm well aware that healthy competition keeps the industry moving. But, the last time I was actually bothered who was top, was when I owned a SNES and my mate had a Mega Drive! :D

Back
Top Bottom