*** The Official Samsung Galaxy S4 Thread ***

Soldato
Seems an odd thing to think. The S4 has sold quicker than the S3. There will no doubt be just as many devs working on just as many ROM's, surely?

I'm saying a stock S4 ROM isn't better than my S3 lte running root and custom ROM+KERNEL for my use.

In time yes the S4 on a custom ROM should be better, not disputing that at all.

So root your S4 and stick a custom ROM on it :)

I would but the custom roms out there now are pretty plain and featureless.

Need JB Dom theme to make an appearance too.

I loved the way Pandoriam rom worked with all the options in Aroma.

Soldato
Then fair play to you for being able to play games etc like the rest of us do. However, it's the odd one word that you bothered to miss a letter off or "u". The rest of your typing is perfect and well structured!
my on screen keyboard has a word prediction hence why most words are right/in full
With regards to the S4 and this is a genuine question : How do you plan to use one? They aren't the biggest of things and with no hand movement I can't see that 5" is going to be enough for your method of interaction.

Perhaps the note 2/note 3 when it comes out would be better?
i use my nose to use my s3 phone haha. i've been doing that even with keypad phones

anyway i ordered the s4 yesterday. so i should get it friday.

Associate
I've got a black S4 coming today from Vodafone and I'm a bit concerned about the lack of storage. Basically I'm wondering about returning it unopened and waiting for the 32gb model, which should offer nearly 3 times the available storage of the 16gb version.

The problem is, I don't want to buy sim free and it has to be on Vodafone as no other network offers a signal in my area.

What is the chance of a 32gb/64gb model coming out on Vodafone in the near future? How are others finding the 8gb available storage for apps?

I'm not too keen on rooting the phone just to get some of the storage back.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Soldato
I've got a black S4 coming today from Vodafone and I'm a bit concerned about the lack of storage. Basically I'm wondering about returning it unopened and waiting for the 32gb model, which should offer nearly 3 times the available storage of the 16gb version.

The problem is, I don't want to buy sim free and it has to be on Vodafone as no other network offers a signal in my area.

What is the chance of a 32gb/64gb model coming out on Vodafone in the near future? How are others finding the 8gb available storage for apps?

I'm not too keen on rooting the phone just to get some of the storage back.

Any advice would be appreciated.

rooting is super super easy so I don't see why you wouldn't, especially seeing as you can both cover your tracks for warranty easily enough and OEMs often don't seem to mind if you've done that sort of thing.

However, in answer to your question... I'd expect almost 0 chance of a decent wide supply of higher capacity versions, why would they? It's pretty niche and when generally speaking people are looking for the phone "free" this just means the networks make less money per connection.

Either way if you use the Apple scale (as apple are pretty much the only company still that has consumers prepared to a) pay and b) pay more per capacity and finally c) have a customer base who expect the choice) you'd likely be paying £100 more for a 32gb version and £200 for a 64gb.

given the fact you can root and trim your OS and use micro SD cards I'd see those costs, any costs frankly as a non starter.

EDIT: not sure if it matters but on my 16gb version running wanamlite (mildly modified stock rom so you retain all the useful touchwiz stuff) and a reduced apps apk I currently have just over 9gb available to me, I think thats entirely acceptable for a 16gb phone and I could easily get more by removing some bloat manually as I have root access.

Worth considering!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Qualcomm has a special app called BatteryGuru that optimizes power usage on phones with Snapdragon chipsets and it just graduated out of beta. It’s an easy to use app as it does its own thing – it spends a couple of days in the background learning your usage habits and then gets in control of things like Wi-Fi, which apps are allowed to run in the background, and so forth.

Source

Download

This coupled with a custom ROM - potential awesomeness?

Back
Top Bottom